***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
VA panels are absolutely horrific for office work imo, text is blurry on them as compared to an IPS. This is *particularly* noticeable on the larger screens where you have a high resolution.

I had a va for a night sent it back the next day...

Dark blacks but blur city !

Cheers. Think I'll be holding onto my money for a while longer so :(

Another n00b question.... Can QD tech be used in conjunction with any of the current panel types? I'm guessing we're not likely to see QD TN panels for instance?

Caporegime
OP
Suppose that is where having a USB connector would be handy with regards to LED strip, be one less visible wire then.

The latest VA panels are significantly better from what I have read, of course the smearing is still there for transitions from dark to bright areas though :(

Can't stand TN, the contrast shift is just awful looking even when sat head in, you can see shades having different tones near the top/bottom of the screen :/

Unfortunately for monitors, it is very much a case of pick your poison.

I really hope we see a 34" 1440 IPS with full array local dimming at some point as that will be the best "overall" until OLED/QLED arrives but it won't be cheap...

Soldato
Just "ascended" with a 29 UM68-P. First impressions, pretty slick, really nice colours, abysmal stand (but knew that), managed to get Freesync to 33-75. As for ultrawide itself, ran it through a few games but overall my judgment of it is 'meh'. Is nice in GTA V, but horrible with DotA 2, TSW and PoE; 'whatever' in other games, I was trying CIV VI as well and the extra space is nice but it just looks strange outside of Strategic View so I can't really score it positively. Non-gaming-wise, feels good for productivity (but I'm not) but media is more of a miss than hit.

I'm gonna give it a few more days to grow used to it but I'm thinking of returning it - only problem is I can't seem to find anything else that's appealing and not >£500. Might try a 25'' 1440p but not so sure. I think I value vertical space a lot more than is normal, but I don't want to go back to anything as big as 32'' for desktop so not much else left in between. Uffff, damn monitors!

Caporegime
OP
What is TSW and PoE? IIRC, you need to use a fix for DOTA and 21.9.

Games that really shine in 21.9 are:

- FPS shooters like BF, doom, fallout 4
- 3rd person view i.e. the division, batman, witcher 3
- racing games

Soldato
The Secret World & Path of Exile. DotA 2 works fine since they re-did the UI. I'm not talking compatibility, just how they feel; DotA 2 in particular there's also something off about the colours/contrast at least on the winter map, will have to investigate some more. Even though it has the same amount of vertical space as 16:9 because it's wider the proportions are off and they seem a bit too letter-boxy, e.g. in TSW because it has two bars at top & bottom this further compounds the effect.

I don't know, maybe it's just a case of getting used to it, that's why I'm gonna give it some more time before I make any final judgments.

Caporegime
OP
Ah I see, fair enough.

What size was your previous 16.9 screen?

As for colours/contrast, no idea if you have been through calibration settings but if this is anything like my 29" panel, you will need to do a few adjustments:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Adjust your contrast until you can see all these squares:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

254 should be very hard to see.

My settings:

- brightness, I wouldn't use anything higher than 20%, mine is set to 10%
- contrast, had to set mine from 70 to 66
- use custom preset for colour temperature and leave the RGB at their default settings
- turn ECO off

For your model, you get more gamma options as well as a black equaliser so no idea what will be best for them.

Soldato
And lastly, an amazing price (£230) on the LG 29" 2560x1080 40-75HZ flat IPS freesync screen!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...e-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-143-lg.html

Very tempted by this :o

Was looking to get a Dell U2414 originally but the idea of having some extra work space is really appealing as I'm always moving windows around but never been keen on the bezel gap with dual monitors. The gaming immersion is a nice extra :D

One thing I'm a little concerned about is support for ultrawide as standard, do most games just work now or are you guys still having to faff around a bit?

Main reason I want to change though is that my current TN panel is quite harsh on the eyes and now that I'm working more on the PC its getting a bit tiresome. I had a look in store at the 29" LG and it seemed like a nice panel so I'm hoping it might be the answer.

1440p would be nice but my pc couldn't handle it at decent settings so this could be a nice in between, slightly concerned about the lack of vertical space but should only be a slight loss compared to my current 1080p 24".

Are LG as lax with backlight bleed / stuck pixels as I've read? I'd get it from OcUK so I'd imagine they'll change it without much hassle.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've had very few issues in the past two years. Some older stuff struggles but anything modern works pretty much flawlessly. Even older stuff like Batman Arkham Asylum worked!

Caporegime
OP
As above.

For what doesn't work (which is very little these days), there are usually quick and easy fixes.

Only one game I know of that doesn't have 21.9 support at all is overwatch.

Soldato
Ah good, been watching some reviews / gameplay videos and I'm sold :D.
Will get one before they go back up in price, think I'll grab a desk monitor arm as well as the stand seemed a bit wobbly in-store.

Caporegime
OP
It is probably worth while googling the games you play followed by 21.9 as you might play certain titles, which I/misschief don't play.

As in the OP, wideasfcuk youtube channel does very good reviews on 21.9 support.

Associate
Was going to go for the Dell TN or the Asus Rog one (27 inch) but i'm going to wait for the AOC Agon 35 inch or the HP Omen since they should be out in a few months? Will these VA panels be any good? As I have a garbage monitor right now in the BenQ XL2420T.

Soldato
VA panels are absolutely horrific for office work imo, text is blurry on them as compared to an IPS. This is *particularly* noticeable on the larger screens where you have a high resolution.

Aren't TV screens basically VA panels? I've used my 1080p TV as a monitor on occasion, deep blacks great for watching movies but text... I can't put up with that on a daily basis. Between that and my IPS monitor its night and day.

Soldato
Aren't TV screens basically VA panels? I've used my 1080p TV as a monitor on occasion, deep blacks great for watching movies but text... I can't put up with that on a daily basis. Between that and my IPS monitor its night and day.

Quite a few TV's are IPS now. Most of the Sony range above 43" are IPS, as are many Philips and LG, although most of the LG 4K ones are RGBW, so aren't even proper 4K. Samsung are all VA as far as I'm aware, as are Panasonic. Not sure if this is going to change with 2017 models.

Soldato
For Gaming, I am very interested in this new ultrawide sorcery.

I need FreeSync, probably aiming around 34” also tempted by a Curved one if it really is more immersive for gaming, although seeing very mixed reviews online.

Still a lot of catching up to do in this thread but what are the best options to start looking at?

Cheers.

Soldato

I need FreeSync, probably aiming around 34” also tempted by a Curved one if it really is more immersive for gaming, although seeing very mixed reviews online.

Still a lot of catching up to do in this thread but what are the best options to start looking at?

Cheers.

I moved from a 144Hz 1440P 27" G-Sync TN panel to the Asus PG348Q and it's immense, I haven't noticed the reduction from 144Hz to 100Hz but gamers are so much more immersive.

Associate

Cheers.

I went from Samsung 1080P 60Hz to the Samsung C34F791 and am really enjoying it so far. Stock R9 290 can run it, but I have to select FreeSync standard or ultimate modes depending on game. When Vega is released, I expect standard mode will be fine for everything. When you set in front of the screen, you do not really see the curve and its does indeed make for an immersive game experience because you do not notice the screen edges as you do with 16:9. I can see why competitive FPS is best at 16:9, because you have to turn your head from side to side to take in the environment.
I have no dead pixels or back light bleed that I can see, plus colours are better then my old TN panel.

Soldato
Acer 38" Freesync IPS on the way... someone obviously face planted the keyboard when they named this lol!

Acer XR382CQK bmijqphuzx

Seems VERY similar to the LG 38UC99, but with a slightly wider Freesync range at the lower end. Might come in a bit cheaper too, given the LG retails at $1500 (£1200) vs the $1300 of the Acer. UK price yet to be revealed though.

Associate
I have joined the the club using a lg 34uc98-w 34.
This is a great monitor. Moved my HB280HK to replace with this.

BUT i have oTWO problems. HDCP keeps on saying the it is not supported:confused:

After a reboot windows tells me it is using a custom scale factor is set. I have to log out the back in.:confused:

Also I cannot left click to open files, progs, etc I have to right click. Latest drivers install.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom