BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
The wifi in my smart hub has stopped working, it's set on in the setup but is displaying off in the status.

I've tried power cycling, reset and even a factory reset but it's still the same.

Anyone seen this before? Is it a broken router?

Soldato
Yeah, they're sending an engineer out this week after the usual restart the router, do a speed test etc

I know FTTC is fibre to the cabinet like was mentioned by someone but what I was saying is that tsinc looks to be of a similiar distance from the exchange as myself. Yet my LA is a lot lower and I get 50Meg+ its LA that used to be a good indication as to what your maximum speed would be under ADSL I was just wondering whether it was the same under FTTC/Copper. My cabinet also seems to be a similiar distance to my house too.

Could be the copper you have from cabinet is either crappy or goes by a longer route to your house than you would expect.

At least if a BT Engineer tests it from your house then you will know for sure.

Soldato
The wifi in my smart hub has stopped working, it's set on in the setup but is displaying off in the status.

I've tried power cycling, reset and even a factory reset but it's still the same.

Anyone seen this before? Is it a broken router?

BT HH6 by any chance ? ;)

If so have a look at the BT Community Forums. Plenty of people have seen it.
So far <touch wood> the latest firmware has sorted mine out.

Soldato
BT engineer been and gone. Speed has slightly improved (for now) but he thinks it's the distance that is the issue and nothing can be done about it at the moment.

6015429503.png

Associate
Not sure if this has been mentioned further down the thread.

just to warn users - BT has rencently announced price increases. You can check to see if/how your bill will be affected here: https://www.bt.com/static/wa/account/pricechanges/login/login.html?s_cid=con_FURL_myprices

Mine is to increase by £3 (from 2nd April) and i only just switched to BT 15 days ago... nice.... :rolleyes:

Don't forget that when your contract changes like the above, you have the right to leave without any penalties.

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
So with our FTTC finally being completed and enabled end of next month I'm starting to think about which provider to go with.

Initially I was just thinking get on BT to start with and then look to switch maybe once that contract was up, but is there anyone else people would recommend that's better value?

Man of Honour
PlusNet, Sky, Talktalk, EE etc. Look at deals via cashback sites and see if any do a free first connection if you haven't had FTTC before.

Soldato
Not sure if this has been mentioned further down the thread.

just to warn users - BT has rencently announced price increases. You can check to see if/how your bill will be affected here: https://www.bt.com/static/wa/account/pricechanges/login/login.html?s_cid=con_FURL_myprices

Mine is to increase by £3 (from 2nd April) and i only just switched to BT 15 days ago... nice.... :rolleyes:

Don't forget that when your contract changes like the above, you have the right to leave without any penalties.

We know, thanks but we know. ;) Mine is £2.80.

So with our FTTC finally being completed and enabled end of next month I'm starting to think about which provider to go with.

Initially I was just thinking get on BT to start with and then look to switch maybe once that contract was up, but is there anyone else people would recommend that's better value?

Zen seems to be better value than BT. Few people have said its okay on this thread.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just as a small example, I emailed them about FTTP and half a day later I got this.

Good Afternoon Chris,

Thank you for your email.

We are already offering Fibre To The Premises alongside our range of other products, however, this is limited to what exchanges Openreach have the infrastructure set up and built for. We tend to see that Fibre To The Premises is made more available for new build properties and to properties that can't currently get a fibre connection.

I have had a look over your services this afternoon and can see that you already have a fibre connection, I have also checked on Openreaches network checker and can see that your area is Fibre To The Cabinet ready, however it is not Fibre To The Premises ready, the likelihood of Openreach amending the network given the fact that Fibre To The Cabinet is already there is very slim. It could happen in the future, however, we would not expect to see this anytime soon.

If you did want a dedicated fibre line to your property then there is the option of a dedicated leased line, however the installation of these can start in the thousands and can also run into the thousands per monthly usage charge too as these lines run directly from the exchange to your property and are dedicated to your individual use. If you did wish to discuss this further then our sales team would be more than happy to help.

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to contact us on the details below or reply via this email

Soldato
I just cancelled my BT infinity after 6 years of excellent service, I just don't enjoy paying stupid money for a pointless phone line.

I didn't realise there was a £30 disconnect fee, how do they get away with this? I assumed they would just terminate the service and their end and that would be it.

Really hope VM don't disappoint me now.

Back
Top Bottom