BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Less than £100 ideally

The WIFI has switched off completely on my SmartHub everything I have tried to restore it hasn't worked, I'm currently using a powerline Wifi extender atm.

Looking at maybe an TP-Link AC1600 or ASUS RT-N66U

There must be many people with a HH6 who dont realise how pants they are and dont frequent this thread or the BT Community ones.
BT will send you a HH5 if you persist. You can then use that for Wifi and the HH6 for the rest. Save you some money.

Is yours on the latest firmware ? Luckily since mine has updated its been fine. <Touches a tree>

Soldato
My HH6 is still in it's box (where it will stay)

Sell it, your sitting on 30-60 quid!

I'm really pleased with mine the wifi performance is a massive step up from the Sky Hub that it has replaced and gigabit switch is a bonus to, I appreciate you've probably got a better third party one but the smart hub must be the best ISP supplied router on the market.

Associate
There must be many people with a HH6 who dont realise how pants they are and dont frequent this thread or the BT Community ones.
BT will send you a HH5 if you persist. You can then use that for Wifi and the HH6 for the rest. Save you some money.

Is yours on the latest firmware ? Luckily since mine has updated its been fine. <Touches a tree>

I have the latest firmware, it updated on the 28th Jan that seems to be what has killed it.

Up until then it was rock solid and the Wifi range was excellent

Associate
Sorry for not reading the above so if this has been said already... BT sent an email out the other day saying price rises of £2.50 a month. It says in the email if you reply in 14 days you can cancel any contract no matter the term left.

I had a look around and saw plusnet were doing 18 months 74mb unlimited fibre for £32ish inc line rental.

15 minutes later on the phone with BT they had matched that (80mb unlimited for £33.40 a month inc line rental) for the next 18 months.

I was on the 50mb intro year of something like £25 a month and switched to this before next month when the bill was going to automatically rise to £55 /month...

I hope that helps some of you!

Soldato
Sorry for not reading the above so if this has been said already... BT sent an email out the other day saying price rises of £2.50 a month. It says in the email if you reply in 14 days you can cancel any contract no matter the term left.

I had a look around and saw plusnet were doing 18 months 74mb unlimited fibre for £32ish inc line rental.

15 minutes later on the phone with BT they had matched that (80mb unlimited for £33.40 a month inc line rental) for the next 18 months.

I was on the 50mb intro year of something like £25 a month and switched to this before next month when the bill was going to automatically rise to £55 /month...

Are you sure that includes line rental as that doesnt sound right for BT ? Plusnet website show £37.50 inc line rental. BT shows its £49.99 on website for upto 76mb ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there likely to be a noticeable difference in sync speed between using the 3-ish metre cable my HomeHub came with, vs a 10m one? At the moment my router is in one corner of my living room with most of my kit in the other side meaning I have to use homeplugs/wifi, but I'd prefer to have the router near the TV, NAS etc and connect with cables.

Soldato
If you make sure the cable you use is good quality twisted pair then you should be fine with no significant difference.

Personally I'd use a length of CW1308 and install a hardwired extension socket where you want the router to be.

Soldato
It doesn't matter how you implement the extension wiring. Just make sure it's twisted pair (CW1308 or Cat5e typically).

If you use 10m of unsuitable cable you will mess up the connection.

Associate
alexx;30472596 said:

Fantastic, thanks for this! I'm only 2 months into my contract on infinity 1 and phoned up earlier and got this exact deal - £1/month more than I'd be paying on infinity 1 with the price increase! Guy on phone said I won't see any increases in 18 months either - really pleased.

Associate
ChrisD.;30467517 said:
How often do you really need 200mb? I get 45 and rarely find myself needing more.

I have 310mb at home and still could do with more when downloading big games etc a 15gb file still takes around 10 mins which is still too long. :D:D

I did get infinity 4 when it was down to 30 + line rental a month for only a week don't regret it a bit.

Soldato
a1ex2001;30464593 said:
Well it has already changed from an initial 45mb sync down to a 32mb so it clearly is doing something! Interestingly it has sync' data the full 10mb upload and some testing reveals I get the full 32mb down and 10mb up that is currently sync'd.

Will wait and see I think in reality the line from my house to the pole outside needs to go but convincing them could be a chsllenge!

Looks like BT's line learning is actually doing it's thing sync speed is up to 38.79 mbps this morning and torrenting some Linux iso's seems to indicate that I'm getting that speed for real world downloads. Still got another 7 days to go so hoping it takes another jump as it's supposed to be an upto 50mb service these days but it does look like I will get the 39 minimum that they guarantee.

Associate
a1ex2001;30482137 said:
Looks like BT's line learning is actually doing it's thing sync speed is up to 38.79 mbps this morning and torrenting some Linux iso's seems to indicate that I'm getting that speed for real world downloads. Still got another 7 days to go so hoping it takes another jump as it's supposed to be an upto 50mb service these days but it does look like I will get the 39 minimum that they guarantee.

Alex, when I started with BT (up to 52mb service) I was capped to a sync speed of 35999 for 28 days, after this G.imp came back on the down speed,
Now sync at just over 47000 with a true download speed of 44mb.

I'm 750-800 from the cab with an Attenuation of 21.5dB.

So you have a good chance of it improving.

Back
Top Bottom