BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Man of Honour
Zen should offer FTTPoD.
Depends on the cabinet surely?

I did ask them about it and got this:

Good morning Chris,

Thank you for your response, I hope you are well.
Unfortunately we will not be offering FTTP OD at the moment, we offer the standard FTTP service (either with Unlimited Zen Fibre 1/2 or Zen fibre). Once FTTP shows as available in your area and you wish to discuss the service options nearer the time, we can talk you through the different services.

I have checked on the cabinet in your area at the moment, and FTTP is currently showing as not planned. This does not mean to say that OpenReach will not install the capacity shortly, this implies that we are not able to place an order at the moment for the service.

Really hope VM don't disappoint me now.

In Nuneaton, good luck with VM!

Soldato
Quick bit of advice!

Had my FTTC infinity 1 connected yesterday, happy with the massive speed increase from 6mb on SKY ADSL to 32mb on infinity but obviously this is well below the minimum that BT guarantee (39mb according to the original email). Yesterday on first connection it was 40mb and the line learning seems to be slowly dropping it off. I have an old single socket master socket and my phone line to the poe outside it properly ancient if I complain to BT will they send an open reach guy to look at the wiring or will they just tell me I can cancel if I like?

Soldato
Quick bit of advice!

Had my FTTC infinity 1 connected yesterday, happy with the massive speed increase from 6mb on SKY ADSL to 32mb on infinity but obviously this is well below the minimum that BT guarantee (39mb according to the original email). Yesterday on first connection it was 40mb and the line learning seems to be slowly dropping it off. I have an old single socket master socket and my phone line to the poe outside it properly ancient if I complain to BT will they send an open reach guy to look at the wiring or will they just tell me I can cancel if I like?

You won't get Openreach involvement until your 14 day training period is complete. 24hrs is certainly not indicative of where your speed will be.
To give you an example - I moved to Vodafone last year. My "up to 80mb" connection fell through the floor, however they wouldn't investigate until the 14 days were up.
I eventually got them to reset the profile after this time. My connection started at 78 and was down to 60 within 3 days - thought "here we go again". At day 7 however that increased back to 71mb and that is where it's been ever since.
So, let those 14 days complete, good chance speeds will pick back up. If after that period they haven't improved to the "guaranteed" speed then contact BT. If they fail to get your guaranteed speed you'll be able to move away without penalty.

Soldato
You won't get Openreach involvement until your 14 day training period is complete. 24hrs is certainly not indicative of where your speed will be.
To give you an example - I moved to Vodafone last year. My "up to 80mb" connection fell through the floor, however they wouldn't investigate until the 14 days were up.
I eventually got them to reset the profile after this time. My connection started at 78 and was down to 60 within 3 days - thought "here we go again". At day 7 however that increased back to 71mb and that is where it's been ever since.
So, let those 14 days complete, good chance speeds will pick back up. If after that period they haven't improved to the "guaranteed" speed then contact BT. If they fail to get your guaranteed speed you'll be able to move away without penalty.

Thought wait and see was probably the case it's been steady at 32mb for the morning so here's hoping they start to sneak it back up shortly! The upgrade so far has been fantastic it's nearly as good as the jump from dialup to broadband back in the day!

Soldato
Not sure if this has been mentioned further down the thread.

just to warn users - BT has rencently announced price increases. You can check to see if/how your bill will be affected here: https://www.bt.com/static/wa/account/pricechanges/login/login.html?s_cid=con_FURL_myprices

Mine is to increase by £3 (from 2nd April) and i only just switched to BT 15 days ago... nice.... :rolleyes:

Don't forget that when your contract changes like the above, you have the right to leave without any penalties.

Hmmm tempting to leave as mine is going up 2.50, could get virgin for a very similar price.

Soldato
It's unlikely anything will happen at all with the speed in 14 days.

Well it has already changed from an initial 45mb sync down to a 32mb so it clearly is doing something! Interestingly it has sync' data the full 10mb upload and some testing reveals I get the full 32mb down and 10mb up that is currently sync'd.

Will wait and see I think in reality the line from my house to the pole outside needs to go but convincing them could be a chsllenge!

maj

maj

Soldato
Anyone with HH5 been able to specify a wireless channel to use that isn't one of the suggested ones? I have both the 2 and 5ghz networks active and a wifi analyzer app has suggested I'd be better of using a different channel but neither of those are available to me. Whether what the app is telling me is true or not remains to be seen.

Associate
Whats a decent third party router to use with Infinity?

I can't get to the bottom of my WIFI issues and I cba ringing bt as I'm sure the same thing will happen again

Associate
Budget?

If wifi is your only problem then perhaps get a Ubiquit Access point.

Less than £100 ideally

The WIFI has switched off completely on my SmartHub everything I have tried to restore it hasn't worked, I'm currently using a powerline Wifi extender atm.

Looking at maybe an TP-Link AC1600 or ASUS RT-N66U

Soldato
Just have a look in the VM thread to see how many unhappy people there are.

I have only had good experiences tbh but that's not to say everyone does obviously.

It wrankles with me getting 55mb since I moved, paying for infinity 2 speeds and even then I could get 200mb for a similar price.

Im my flat speeds were in line and I couldn't get VM, however the opposite is now the case

Back
Top Bottom