• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
Other websites have
I find it hilarious people are crying that the 1700 only gets 128fps in gta5 but the 7700k gets 135fps!!!

You start to mention minimum FPS and they change the subject.

A few weeks ago no one cared about high fps, it was all about frame times, average FPS and minimum FPS!

Now suddenly these don't matter, only max FPS.

Ironically RyZen is behind in max FPS but ahead in minimums, and in some instances it's ridiculously ahead, see that For Honor benchmark for how crazily ahead it is
Not to mention reviewers like gamernexus and his review quote
Each game was tested for 30 seconds in an identical scenario, then repeated three times for parity.

and making whole picture for readers based on magical 30s... seems kinda short to me:rolleyes:

Soldato
Other websites have

Not to mention reviewers like gamernexus and his review quote
and making whole picture for readers based on magical 30s... seems kinda short to me:rolleyes:

Wait only tested for 30 seconds? Who the hell games for 30 seconds?

No wonder more and more people prefer the YouTube reviewers where they show side by side gameplay with all the Afterburner information; along with frame time and variance.

From the care salesman with the pearly whites

Soldato
Doomers keep saying that a 7700K gets extra FPS in gaming VS the Ryzen chips, but the 7700K gets extra FPS VS Intel's own 6/8/10 core chips too? They forget that bit xD

Oh yeah let's not focus on AMD destroying Intel's high end everywhere else at cheaper prices and lower TDP, let's focus on those few FPS in gaming..

We all love gaming at 250 FPS on a 720P display right? :D

Got my 1700, GTX 1080 Ti soon, now I just need my 250FPS, 720P Display :D

Hahahahah :D

Yes the 7700K gets more FPS, but can at the same time run some other work in the background?

Soldato
Yes these days, and yet the world is still filled with the meme that an i5 is better. I found it very funny that now that Ryzen is out people are currently recommending the 7700K over the 7600 or even 7500/7400, and the i7 certainly won't out perform them if they're all clocked the same in many current and older games.

Pay a visit at the Vega thread, and you will see even Gregster claiming i5 3570 is better than Ryzen......
roflmaooooooo
What else to say mate. When Intel releases the next 6 core i7 mainstream CPU, they will be claiming 6 cores are better than 4 cores.........
At what cost though, when new motherboards are needed AGAIN. A year after the Z270

Last edited:
Soldato
How long the 7700k can stay in front is the question. With more and more games supporting more cores things could turn around quit quickly. The whole e8400 vs q6600 saga springs to mind.
Its annoying for people like me. I run a 144hz monitor but don't fancy changing my system every 2 years :/

Soldato
How long the 7700k can stay in front is the question. With more and more games supporting more cores things could turn around quit quickly. The whole e8400 vs q6600 saga springs to mind.
Its annoying for people like me. I run a 144hz monitor but don't fancy changing my system every 2 years :/

Wait for the Windows patch which will resolve the scheduler. Then we shall see. :)

And lets not forget the 7700K is burning relatively twice as much electricity than the Ryzen CPUs.
But that is brushed under the carpet.

Soldato
a lot of what I'm seeing from people is akin to buyer's remorse to justify to themselves that they made the right purchase. They go on a crusade to point out all the opposition weakness and promote their choices strength to justify to themselves as well as others that they were right.

In the case of RyZen the only bullets they currently have is max FPS and overclocking.

Now the max FPS thing can change once some patches are applied to various aspects of the chips behaviour. Games may get updated etc.

Funnily everyone seems to avoid the fact that SMT is actually a penalty in gaming for RyZen in many titles currently, proven by disabling it increases performance.

What happens when it's addressed and fixed? I'm fairly sure that negative penalty will become a positive, closing the gap further.

Only bullet they will be left with is Overclocking

Associate
I think my main gripe is AMD underhyped the non-gaming bits and overhyped the gaming bits.

If they had not directly compared it to a Core i7 6900K and tried to hint it was the same performance in games,I expect there would have been less disappointment. In fact I could argue they should have compared it to a FX9590 and showed how much Ryzen was improved over Bulldozer uarch CPUs for gaming even in CPU limited scenarios like online gaming or RTS games.

Agree with what your saying
Lol it's a fantastic purchase for gaming right now too! Gta5 at 128fps on RyZen or 135fps on 7700k? Yeah those 7 or so FPS are make or break! Not to mention RyZen schools Intel chips on minimums..

Agree I think the minimums with the Ryzen is some thing to keep an eye on ..I am hoping some one digs deeper into this

Mei

Mei

Soldato
Hahahahah :D

Yes the 7700K gets more FPS, but can at the same time run some other work in the background?

ye i honestly cant agree with them flat out saying 7700k is the best gaming chip because it depends how you game!?
and its pretty annoying when they think they all smart so i cant watch them all!
did you see any testing out streaming while gaming? thats uhhh pretty normal right now
the ones i saw didnt do any tests that i was interested in...

i mean maybe if i was after a budget gaming build i would get a quad core that makes sense but people look at 8cores for a reason so they should test that reason >.<

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
314zakl.jpg

(just noticed the last word behind "news" is "Intel" :D)

Soldato
Seems Windows 10 is a performance loss compared to Windows 7 for Ryzen, I hope more people look into that as well.
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-8#post-38775732

Just look at those minimums in Windows 10 with SMT active.

I did some 3D testing and eventhou there is not nearly enough data to confirm it, I'd say the SMT regression is infact a Windows 10 related issue.
In 3D testing I did recently on Windows 10, the title which illustrated the biggest SMT regression was Total War: Warhammer.

All of these were recorded at 3.5GHz, 2133MHz MEMCLK with R9 Nano:

Windows 10 - 1080 Ultra DX11:

8C/16T - 49.39fps (Min), 72.36fps (Avg)
8C/8T - 57.16fps (Min), 72.46fps (Avg)

Windows 7 - 1080 Ultra DX11:

8C/16T - 62.33fps (Min), 78.18fps (Avg)
8C/8T - 62.00fps (Min), 73.22fps (Avg)

Soldato
Unfortunately here the Samsung Zeppelin process, is bit tight.
Have a look here, is technical article about the Ryzen CPUs.
I bet AMD will focus on the IPC improvements, to keep the low power consumption also.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/

To be honest it's a non issue, the chips can pretty much all hit 4ghz, at that point it's in the area of the competition in its current form.

Look to memory for more performance increase once you hit 4ghz on the chip, as 8Pack has said, it's akin to another 200-300mhz OC

Soldato
To be honest it's a non issue, the chips can pretty much all hit 4ghz, at that point it's in the area of the competition in its current form.

Look to memory for more performance increase once you hit 4ghz on the chip, as 8Pack has said, it's akin to another 200-300mhz OC
Yep. :)
Also lets not forget, the memory architecture for Ryzen works happily at 1T.

Associate
Doomers keep saying that a 7700K gets extra FPS in gaming VS the Ryzen chips, but the 7700K gets extra FPS VS Intel's own 6/8/10 core chips too? They forget that bit xD

Oh yeah let's not focus on AMD destroying Intel's high end everywhere else at cheaper prices and lower TDP, let's focus on those few FPS in gaming..

We all love gaming at 250 FPS on a 720P display right? :D

Got my 1700, GTX 1080 Ti soon, now I just need my 250FPS, 720P Display :D

720p that's old hat now.. long gone ....Kids today its all about CGA @ 320x200 16 colours @ 1000 + fps and only the hard core run on CRT's.. i hear the Sony Trinitrons and LG Flatrons are the rage now playing pixel art games with em ...

Soldato
720p that's old hat now.. long gone ....Kids today its all about CGA @ 320x200 16 colours @ 1000 + fps and only the hard core run on CRT's.. i hear the Sony Trinitrons and LG Flatrons are the rage now playing pixel art games with em ...

Don't laugh. If I was able to find a CRT monitor, I would be happy. Because I will be able to play Lands of Lore at full screen :(

Back
Top Bottom