**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
What insurance cover is that? 75 sounds high! I'm on Barclays Tech Pack, it has a £25 excess for any claim on an insured phone.
Mine (Pixel) is insured through Natwest and they charge £100 excess :o

It doesn't cost me anything though, which is the only thing stopping me from finding a new option.

Man of Honour
Ah yeah, mine is £7.50 a month, but I get £7 via the blue rewards programme each month anyway, and then a few quid extra from additional services on my account, so it's actually free with change left in pocket!

Soldato
Turns out my partner is eligible for the Vodafone advantage

So the plus would be £51 pm with Spotify and 8gb data, seems ok? Or get a cheaper standard S8 deal using advantage

Soldato
Turns out my partner is eligible for the Vodafone advantage

So the plus would be £51 pm with Spotify and 8gb data, seems ok? Or get a cheaper standard S8 deal using advantage

£51 x 24 = 1224

Phone SIM free cost = £779

making a 24 months of minutes & data cost of £445 = £18.50 per month

It's not the worst deal in the world, the cheapest SIM only plan with the Spotify included is £19 anyway (although you could get a 30% discount with Advantage on that). If you use Spotify then the Voda plans are hard to beat.

Soldato
So went for it! Just need to do the Vodafone advantage discount in the coming days

Am I right in thinking my partner doesn't have to be with Vodafone herself? She just works at a partnered company so I can take advantage of the discount right?

Soldato
So went for it! Just need to do the Vodafone advantage discount in the coming days

Am I right in thinking my partner doesn't have to be with Vodafone herself? She just works at a partnered company so I can take advantage of the discount right?

Yup that's correct mate. It's friends and family so absolutely fine to do it, she just needs to submit the details once you get everything through and you should get the discount applied a few days later :)

Deal looks good to me especially if you're planning to keep it for the 24 months, also the added perk of Spotify (which is £9.99 usually) just adds to the value!

Soldato
Yea im fairly happy with it! Now I guess I need to blow a small fortune on protection I.e a case/ protector? I never usually do but I do work in engineering and things can get a bit grubby if not taken care of but I do try my best

They do charge a one off £10 to start up the discount but that's fine in the grand scheme of things

Soldato
Yea im fairly happy with it! Now I guess I need to blow a small fortune on protection I.e a case/ protector? I never usually do but I do work in engineering and things can get a bit grubby if not taken care of but I do try my best

They do charge a one off £10 to start up the discount but that's fine in the grand scheme of things

I would avoid screen protection if possible, provided you are sensible and keep your phone in a separate pocket from keys/coins etc, I've never had an issue with more recent glass and my phone so far has no marks on the screen. Problem with the curved screens is you're going to struggle find a really good protector which doesn't ruin the look of the phone.

As for cases, depending on what you're after I would recommend any of the official Samsung cases Clear Case, Silicone or Alcantara (This one now being my favourite of the bunch) and through Amazon they are a bit cheaper than the Samsung site. Of course there are alternatives out there and I know many have said they like the Spigen Thin Fit so that's possibly an option for less money :)

Soldato
I would avoid screen protection if possible, provided you are sensible and keep your phone in a separate pocket from keys/coins etc, I've never had an issue with more recent glass and my phone so far has no marks on the screen. Problem with the curved screens is you're going to struggle find a really good protector which doesn't ruin the look of the phone.

As for cases, depending on what you're after I would recommend any of the official Samsung cases Clear Case, Silicone or Alcantara (This one now being my favourite of the bunch) and through Amazon they are a bit cheaper than the Samsung site. Of course there are alternatives out there and I know many have said they like the Spigen Thin Fit so that's possibly an option for less money :)

Thanks, I do try to avoid screen protectors too actually

I like the look of the Alcantara Actually, maybe the way to go! Not turned it on yet! Charged it, now it's time!

Associate
Long time iPhone user here (9 years) but I caved in and bought the S8 which is my first Android phone.

I'm still getting used to it but so far I'm really liking it. I have to say though that scrolling is not as responsive as my iPhone 6s. This happens in every app too. I also turned animations off from the developer options. It seems very laggy and floaty to me.

Anyone else experiencing this lag? Any fixes?

Soldato
My 8 plus came today, the camera is great but I'm not entirely convinced, the finger printer is just plain awkward to use and Ive had a few phones with rear scanners that are much better to use than this how they got it that wrong ive no idea, still its going to take so time to get used to

Soldato
My 8 plus came today, the camera is great but I'm not entirely convinced, the finger printer is just plain awkward to use and Ive had a few phones with rear scanners that are much better to use than this how they got it that wrong ive no idea, still its going to take so time to get used to

My only gripe with the phone is the placement of the fingerprint scanner, shame the home button can't act as a fingerprint scanner as well.

3 weeks in and I actually now like the fingerprint reader location.

I set it up but haven't used it as the IRIS scanner works so well....Unless wearing shades

Soldato
My only gripe with the phone is the placement of the fingerprint scanner, shame the home button can't act as a fingerprint scanner as well.

Someone told me about the Smart Lock feature a few pages back. It's transformed my use of the phone since I can now unlock it just by pressing the home button when I'm at a location of my choosing. For other times, there are cases with cut outs for the fingerprint scanner, which help make the best of a bad job.

Back
Top Bottom