**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Man of Honour
Anyone set a custom DPI in Developer Settings? 425 seems to be a very nice sweet spot.

s6VQcpN.png

My settings in Display options are: Small for zoom, and one notch below middle for font size. Any lower font size and it's too awkwardly small, but with 425 DPI set with these settings, it's the perfect use of space now. I have also enabled the force resize option at the bottom so that all apps can be enabled for multi-window.

Soldato
My 8 plus came today, the camera is great but I'm not entirely convinced, the finger printer is just plain awkward to use and Ive had a few phones with rear scanners that are much better to use than this how they got it that wrong ive no idea, still its going to take so time to get used to

I think that's genuinely the only real problem with the S8+ due to it being so tall, the standard S8 on the other hand I've gotten used to and it's now muscle memory for the scanner...plus the help of my Alcantara case as it provides a nice separation.

As mentioned above Smart Lock is a really useful option especially if you use a smartwatch as you typically have that on so you never really need to use the scanner. It is however very useful in locations such as your home etc, maybe worthwhile giving that a try.

Soldato
I would definitely not be using one without a screen protector.

Mine got a rather deep scratch literally just by being in a pocket for 5 minutes. It hadn't even been outside.

Anyway 3 are coming to do a swap today, fingers crossed no issues on the new one i.e red tint!!

Also good news is insurance are coughing up £510 for my note 4. Seems crazy to go and buy another at that sort of money so guess Ill keep put some of the settlement into upgrading all my accessories, active car charger etc.

Soldato
I would definitely not be using one without a screen protector.

Mine got a rather deep scratch literally just by being in a pocket for 5 minutes. It hadn't even been outside.

I take it you had something else in your pocket also? That's the reason my phone's have always been in a separate pocket and I've had no issues with scratches for years.

Soldato
I take it you had something else in your pocket also? That's the reason my phone's have always been in a separate pocket and I've had no issues with scratches for years.
Na nothing else in pocket at all maybe some pocket grit or something as said earlier in thread. I was being really anal with it waiting for a screen protector and case.

Soldato
Long time iPhone user here (9 years) but I caved in and bought the S8 which is my first Android phone.

I'm still getting used to it but so far I'm really liking it. I have to say though that scrolling is not as responsive as my iPhone 6s. This happens in every app too. I also turned animations off from the developer options. It seems very laggy and floaty to me.

Anyone else experiencing this lag? Any fixes?

Try lowering the resolution to the same as IPhone...
Oh wait it doesn't go that low; )

Associate
Anyone interested in the clear view stand cover case for the S8+, it doesn't scratch your screen like it did on the S6 and S7. Samsung have got a soft fabric inside the case this time round.

Been using the case for a week now.

L33

L33

Permabanned
Samsung eventually sent me a replacement S8+. Unfortunately there is a hideous red tint to the screen even with the colour 'fix' firmware and the colour sliders set to cool/zero red. They tried to feed me some nonsense and even had the audacity to say that it isn't a common problem(!) but eventually agreed to replace it again but not until next week as they apparently have no stock.

Long time iPhone user here (9 years) but I caved in and bought the S8 which is my first Android phone.

I'm still getting used to it but so far I'm really liking it. I have to say though that scrolling is not as responsive as my iPhone 6s. This happens in every app too. I also turned animations off from the developer options. It seems very laggy and floaty to me.

Anyone else experiencing this lag? Any fixes?
Unfortunately scrolling is generally much smoother on iPhone. I've never seen an android device that can scroll like an iPhone, even the Pixel which seems to be about the smoothest. Just one of the pros/cons of each platform :)

Try lowering the resolution to the same as IPhone...
Oh wait it doesn't go that low; )
What a helpful comment.
And it does go that low. Settings > Display > Screen Resolution > HD+ (1480x720) is pretty comparable to a 6s (1334x750) and lower resolution than a plus model iPhone.

Soldato
Na nothing else in pocket at all maybe some pocket grit or something as said earlier in thread. I was being really anal with it waiting for a screen protector and case.
Sounds just a really unfortunate occurance then :(

I just think it's near impossible to get a screen protector that works with this type of screen.

Soldato
Anyone interested in the clear view stand cover case for the S8+, it doesn't scratch your screen like it did on the S6 and S7. Samsung have got a soft fabric inside the case this time round.

Been using the case for a week now.
I've got a black one and quite like it so far.

Sounds just a really unfortunate occurance then :(

I just think it's near impossible to get a screen protector that works with this type of screen.

I was using an official Samsung one but it wasn't great.

So I have had the replacement swapped out today and I think I have the red tint issue but I'm not sure...ive never had an eye for things like that but it doesn't seem as good as the last display. Seems less bright almost.

Wish I had compared then before swapping but was in a rush and wouldn't want to keep the faulty battery one anyway.

Guess it will only be a matter of time before I break it and have it replaced on insurance anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
What a helpful comment.
And it does go that low. Settings > Display > Screen Resolution > HD+ (1480x720) is pretty comparable to a 6s (1334x750) and lower resolution than a plus model iPhone.

Sorry I could not resist!
Lowering res might help but then again I'm using max res and I'm not experiencing any lag. Everything is smooth and quick.

I'm not an iphone user so perhaps I am missing out on that whole new level of smooth that's even smoother than 0 delay so maybe I'm just not noticing it.

Soldato
Does anyone use smart lock? I have it on to turn off when at home or work but it seems to randomly turn itself off sometimes, as in I have to re activate the smart lock feature.

Soldato
Cant seem to connect mine to our work server for emails or rather hosted server now as we've swapped over to 365, my htc 10 went in no problem at all by simply putting my email and password in the but s8 isn't playing ball any ideas?

Soldato
Keep getting the Vodafone message

"
It looks like you’ve swapped your SIM or updated your software. If you want to continue using data and picture messaging, you’ll need to update your settings. We’ll send you these by text shortly."

Followed by the config to install

Did it when I first turned the phone on as expected then suddenly this evening my phone won't stop going off

Had the text 7 times today all followed by the config install, anyone else had this issue?

Back
Top Bottom