Oculus Rift

Associate
I've got a 980ti, I hope there's a benefit of stepping up to a 1080ti, planning a build later the year to benefit from Black Friday deals. Current system is creaking along ok, but Mobo is 6yo now. Sick of the the oculus message "your system does not meet minimum requirements".

Associate
My VR frames arrived today.

https://vr-lens-lab.com/product/vr-frames-virtual-reality-glasses/

I was previously using the VR lens lab adapters in my rift, but while I was used to them the barrel distortion always irritated me a little. The VR frames don't have any distortion and are quite comfortable to wear under the rift. I haven't had any long play sessions yet but I don't anticipate there being any comfort issues.

Overall I'm pleased with them and they should be handy to use in other VR headsets.

Soldato
I've got a 980ti, I hope there's a benefit of stepping up to a 1080ti, planning a build later the year to benefit from Black Friday deals. Current system is creaking along ok, but Mobo is 6yo now. Sick of the the oculus message "your system does not meet minimum requirements".

Upgrading your system doesn't guarantee you getting rid of the message. People are reporting that they still have the message when they upgraded to the latest CPUs like the 7700 and Ryzen.

And upgrading to the 1080ti will be great for normal gaming, especially if you have a monitor with a resolution higher than 1080p. It's not worth upgrading to it if you are only doing it for VR.

Soldato
My VR frames arrived today.

https://vr-lens-lab.com/product/vr-frames-virtual-reality-glasses/

I was previously using the VR lens lab adapters in my rift, but while I was used to them the barrel distortion always irritated me a little. The VR frames don't have any distortion and are quite comfortable to wear under the rift. I haven't had any long play sessions yet but I don't anticipate there being any comfort issues.

Overall I'm pleased with them and they should be handy to use in other VR headsets.

That sounds great, I will check back with you in a week or two and see are you still happy with them. I am seriously considering buying a pair, but I don't want to purchase until my next eye checkup is done.

Associate
Upgrading your system doesn't guarantee you getting rid of the message. People are reporting that they still have the message when they upgraded to the latest CPUs like the 7700 and Ryzen.

And upgrading to the 1080ti will be great for normal gaming, especially if you have a monitor with a resolution higher than 1080p. It's not worth upgrading to it if you are only doing it for VR.

When I'm not using vr I run triple screens, gpu does get a bit warm. I just want it to run smoother and have a bit more eye candy...the pc is due a refresh and the kids will get my current system so it won't go to waste.

Associate
Had an hour on my mates PS4 VR yesterday, I was very skeptic all about VR, but it absolutely blew me away, amazing! I can honestly say in all my years in gaming I'm struggling to think of an experience to rival it. Now I want more... I know I'm on a rift thread but what should I start saving for between the Vive, PS4+VR or the Rift?

My PC is starting to show its age now too FX8350, 8gb RAM, r9 290.
I'm assuming it's still ok for VR but at reduced setting?

One last question (sorry), I keep reading about VR exclusivity? Surely it's not a case of games that are made the Rift won't work on the Vive and the other way round, is it? Because that would be ridiculous

Thanks for reading

Soldato
Had an hour on my mates PS4 VR yesterday, I was very skeptic all about VR, but it absolutely blew me away, amazing! I can honestly say in all my years in gaming I'm struggling to think of an experience to rival it. Now I want more... I know I'm on a rift thread but what should I start saving for between the Vive, PS4+VR or the Rift?

One last question (sorry), I keep reading about VR exclusivity? Surely it's not a case of games that are made the Rift won't work on the Vive and the other way round, is it? Because that would be ridiculous

Thanks for reading

Between the three, it depends on a few factors. I can't speak for the PSVR as I haven't tried it (I hear it's the most comfortable).

I find the rift more comfortable than the vive as the vive feels front heavy (I notice it when moving my head quickly), and I really like the touch controllers compared to the giant wands of the vive. For room scale, the vive pips the rift, but with the additional sensor that comes with the touch controllers the tracking has been flawless on the rift (I do wish there was an easy way to wall mount them like there is with the vive sensors though).

Yes, there are titles that are platform exclusive, but in general the majority will support both by using the open VR standard. Steam allows you to filter VR titles by headset so you can have a look yourself to get a feel for how many titles are or aren't exclusive.

With regards to your hardware, you're going to find that your 290 will struggle a bit in some titles (like elite dangerous, which can be somewhat demanding in 2d, let alone VR). Remember, you're trying to maintain 90fps on 2x 1080p screens. I run a 980ti and that is fine though. Multi gpu does not currently work for VR so think single cards if you want to upgrade.

Associate
Between the three, it depends on a few factors. I can't speak for the PSVR as I haven't tried it (I hear it's the most comfortable).

I find the rift more comfortable than the vive as the vive feels front heavy (I notice it when moving my head quickly), and I really like the touch controllers compared to the giant wands of the vive. For room scale, the vive pips the rift, but with the additional sensor that comes with the touch controllers the tracking has been flawless on the rift (I do wish there was an easy way to wall mount them like there is with the vive sensors though).

Yes, there are titles that are platform exclusive, but in general the majority will support both by using the open VR standard. Steam allows you to filter VR titles by headset so you can have a look yourself to get a feel for how many titles are or aren't exclusive.

With regards to your hardware, you're going to find that your 290 will struggle a bit in some titles (like elite dangerous, which can be somewhat demanding in 2d, let alone VR). Remember, you're trying to maintain 90fps on 2x 1080p screens. I run a 980ti and that is fine though. Multi gpu does not currently work for VR so think single cards if you want to upgrade.
Thank you very much, really good reply, sadly it seems like the cost of a headset £500 plus a new GPU like the 1070 £350 has pretty much put it out reach for now, guess I'll keep saving and perhaps get the next Oculus Rift that is in no doubt in the works

Associate

Thanks for reading

I run a Vive on an R9 290 and it runs pretty well. I've really only used it for Elite Dangerous, and apart from the odd judder in busy stations it's been excellent. I do run it with reduced settings and I'll be updating the card soon (waiting to see what Vega is like...) but don't let the 290 put you off buying VR.

Soldato
Sorry I should have clarified that most dedicated VR titles are actually developed with the higher performance demand in mind, so they will run fine. It is more the titles that have been adapted for VR that can be most taxing.

I might suggest picking up a headset and then start saving for a gpu.

I originally just bought the rift headset without the controllers, mainly because of price and because I planned to use it for elite dangerous where they weren't needed, but having just picked up a pair I would definitely add them to the list of priorities. Opens up a lot more titles and I think it really completes the VR experience. Or get the vive which comes with the wands

Associate
I run a Vive on an R9 290 and it runs pretty well. I've really only used it for Elite Dangerous, and apart from the odd judder in busy stations it's been excellent. I do run it with reduced settings and I'll be updating the card soon (waiting to see what Vega is like...) but don't let the 290 put you off buying VR.
thank you for taking the time out to reply

Associate
Just come across the DK2 on eBay, it could be had for around £100, what's the difference between this the consumer unit? Will the controllers work? And do I still get access to the store and the other features?

Soldato
Just come across the DK2 on eBay, it could be had for around £100, what's the difference between this the consumer unit? Will the controllers work? And do I still get access to the store and the other features?

Significantly, the DK2 is lower resolution so the screen door effect is even more noticeable. Given my experience with the Cv1, I'm inclined to say that lower resolution would be pretty frustrating after the wow factor wears off.

Soldato

Until recently I ran on an FX8350 and never found it to be a bottleneck, this was with a 1080FE and then later with a 1080TI FE.

Oculus have a tool you can download that will check your hardware for compatibility.

Soldato
You should get the rift, it will run fine on your system because of ASW.

And I wouldn't bother with any of the older models. Seriously, get the Rift with the touch controllers and extra sensor. Make sure your motherboard has two USB 3 ports. Playing Robo recall for the first time ranks as one of my all time great gaming moments. It was worth the price of admission for that alone!!

You can save up and upgrade the rest of your PC at a later date. You could be waiting until 2019 for the next Rift/Vive.

Back
Top Bottom