Asus Prime X370-Pro Owner's thread

Associate
Do people who own this board wholeheartedly recommend it?
Is it worth the premium cost over say a MSI tomahawk 350?
Thinking about stability, boot speed and overclocking potential.....
Cheers ☺️

Associate
Bios 0805 is here with AGESA 1.0.0.6a. In my short testing I have noted:

My CPU temp is slightly lower
I can report no improvement with my RAM - still at 3066, tho that will change when my Trident Zs arrive. Can't wait for the day they run at 4000....nice 2GHz infinity Fabric!
I have managed to up my OC one notch to 4GHz! I'm not sure if 100% stable yet, but running it with same voltages as 0803 with 39.75

Yes, I recommend this board - just make sure you get Samsing b-die memory, though most memory will run fine over the next few months. Bios updates could be quicker, but they do seem good solid releases

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X370-PRO/PRIME-X370-PRO-ASUS-0805.zip

Soldato
Cheers ☺️

If I'm honest....

The board is fine. Haven't done any overclocking yet as I set September as the moment I'd start looking in to it as I wanted bioses to mature a bit before then.

My two issues with the board are:

1. Finally with the last beta bios go my ram up to 3066Mhz. Waiting to enable the full 3200Mhz that the ram is rated at. If it ever happens.

2. Once in a while my SSD disappears from the BIOS, meaning the PC boots to bios and I have to reset setting to default for the SSD to be picked up. I've tried changing SATA ports with no success.

I personally wouldn't buy a B350 mobo. For no other reason than it isn't a x370.

I do think tho that most of these boards are having various issues. So going for a different board from another manufacture might just bring with it a different set of issues.

You could go for a slightly more expensive board such as the Taichi which seems to be well regarded.

Associate
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X370-PRO/PRIME-X370-PRO-ASUS-0805.zip
Bios 0805 is here with AGESA 1.0.0.6a. In my short testing I have noted:

My CPU temp is slightly lower
I can report no improvement with my RAM - still at 3066, tho that will change when my Trident Zs arrive. Can't wait for the day they run at 4000....nice 2GHz infinity Fabric!
I have managed to up my OC one notch to 4GHz! I'm not sure if 100% stable yet, but running it with same voltages as 0803 with 39.75

Yes, I recommend this board - just make sure you get Samsing b-die memory, though most memory will run fine over the next few months. Bios updates could be quicker, but they do seem good solid releases

Had to revert my OC to 39.75 with same voltages as 0803, but it is nice and stable. My SSD has been really reliable (SM961)

Going to try memory with CR2 and Geardown disabled, but I'd rather have it working optimally. I'm getting the Trident Zs tomorrow, but I reckon this ram will work fine once everything is ironed out. Many have had Hynix running at spec, even if currently too unreliably to make use of. When i first got this board I could only get 2666 out of this ram.

Associate
Hey folks,

I've had my PRIME X370-Pro for a while now, with a 1700X. I initially was using the TeamGroup DDR4-3000 RAM I got as part of the Kaby Lake Elite i5 bundle, but it wasn't at all happy on the X370-Pro. Recently changed to 2x8GB sticks of Corsair LPX-3200 and had no real problems running at 2933. It won't quite do 3200 stable without tweaking, which I haven't had time to do. It's close, though - after about 2 hours of torture testing it locks up with the usual black screen and needs a hard reboot.

It's a nice board, and I keep on thinking about upgrading to the Crosshair board, but I'm still not convinced that board is much better than the PRIME.

Associate
Anybody at all managed to get Corsair LPX 3200 past 2933 on this board yet? If so, how please and what OC on the chip.

Mine is a 1700X chip @ 3.9Ghz with ram at 2933Mhz from DOCP profile @1.35 volts.(No tweaking on timings at all)

Soldato
Anybody at all managed to get Corsair LPX 3200 past 2933 on this board yet? If so, how please and what OC on the chip.

Mine is a 1700X chip @ 3.9Ghz with ram at 2933Mhz from DOCP profile @1.35 volts.(No tweaking on timings at all)

Assuming we have the same ram, mine does 3066 with docp and then selecting 3066 manually.

No other tweaks.

Associate
3066 as well on same board and memory. No overclocking on anything - just used DOCP and selected 3066. Seems that 3200 will have to wait for the next BIOS release.

Associate
Cheers ☺️
Do I wholeheartedly recommend this board? - yes.
Is it worth the premium? - to me it is.
Why? I have used Asus boards for over twenty years and the only ones I have ever lost were through stupidity. I have always found them to be well built, easy to work with, have extensive support on the website and have BIOS updates at regular intervals - sometimes long after other manufacturers have withdrawn support. Their boot speed is average, their overclocking potential is as good as others but the fact is that nowadays the top manufacturers are difficult to separate on build quality, usability or other standard fare. The Tomahawk may use slightly lower quality components given its price point but I doubt a normal user would notice much difference. If you are going to differentiate between boards I would recommend concentrating on the features; for example for me I was always going to buy an Asus motherboard but I bought the X-370 because of the number of SATA ports it had. It has 8 and I know from experience that I accumulate devices and need somewhere to plug them in. Just now I have 4 mechanical hard drives, an SSD, a DVD writer and a Blu-Ray writer. Not many other boards offer this level of flexibility.
Hope that helps you in your decision making process.

Associate
Which program is accurate for cpu temperatures with this motherboard?

Core temp showing 34 degrees idle.
HWMonitor showing 54 degrees idle.

Though Ryzen Master shows 34 so assume thats correct.
HW monitor shows 34 degrees idle on my board.
Suggest:
1. Flash to latest BIOS; and
2. Update to latest version of HWmonitor

Associate
There's an interesting custom bios here (english translation)

Or if you just want the file, which has everything you need, including clear instructions in English to install the custom bios. Here it is

It DOES work. It basically contains all the settings that ASUS have hidden from us. Some really useful ones that we thought only CH6 could have as well like CLD0_VDDP setting for helping ram OCing, BNKSWP enable/disable, and P state OCing.

You will notice sometimes it seems like you can't change things, but you can - just type your values in.

Use at your own risk of course, but it is just a copy of 0805 with settings revealed. If you follow the instructions to the letter, you should be fine. If you're scared - don't do it!

Respect to the creator - I know it took him a 'while' :)

Associate
Anyone know what in the world I could possibly do to make this board usable? It randomly crashes and lately, if I do anything more than have a single Chrome tab open, it'll spin the fan up to 100% and won't ever let it spin back down to a more reasonable level. My temps are completely and utterly fine. Not hot at all. What in the world is wrong with this board and its BIOS? I've tried resetting the BIOS, flashing the last one and then back to the 0805 update, and it's still borked. Any suggestions at all before I go insane?

Associate
Use the latest bios, and reset to defaults and see if it's stable.

Remove any OC's.

I've done that, tested it with prime95 and furmark running, and it runs fine. Perfectly fine when I do the tests. I've done memtest86+ overnight and it didn't crash and it passed 8 times.

Something wrong there, mines rock solid (unless I mess up the settings).

What is the memory set at?

I've tried both the [auto] which defaults to 2133mhz and then the DOCP profile which is 2666mhz. Both seem stable from what I've seen.

I've looked up others with the issue and someone had mentioned that if it's crashing to a black screen, then it could be the CPU not getting enough power? But that still doesn't really explain why the fan decides to ramp up to 100% for no apparent reason...

Back
Top Bottom