Rift £200 off

Permabanned
Obviously this will be quite an investment for someone who doesn't really play games anymore. However, VR has always interested me.

What do you want VR for?

If you want room scale VR then you need to add in the cost of a 3rd or even 4th sensor which are £60 each.

I also bought a ~£75 USB card (StarTech PEXUSB3S44V) as I am running an old GA-Z77X-D3H (incompitible VIA chipset) motherboard with a 3770k. This one USB card has 4 dedicated ports unlike the cheaper options which allows me to connect the 2 sensors(may get a 3rd/4th) and the headset while keeping my front facing compatible intel ports free for storage.

You may also want some decent cable extensions which will add another ~£40.

Is it worth it? First thing I did was smack my self in the face with a virtual drinks can. Punched the shelves behind me a few times since and now can't raise my right arm from defending my castle gate with a bow and FLAMING arrows.

Soldato
Reading the thread it sounds really positive.

I'm still sitting on the fence, (The price drop has put me up there) but I'd still need to pick up a graphic card (thinking a 970 to get me started) and possibly the usb card as I've read my usb 3 may not be compatible on my msi motherboard.

Obviously this will be quite an investment for someone who doesn't really play games anymore. However, VR has always interested me.

Now some of you have had it for a few days and others longer do you think it's worth jumping on board now or waiting another year or two before taking the plunge?

I admit I am totally hooked on VR, so I am biased :) I paid full price of the Rift and the controllers. In my opinion, at this price, it's too good of opportunity to pass up. Your case is slightly different because you have to buy a GPU as well.

I haven't played any ordinary games since getting the Rift.

But, I do understand what you are going through. Said the same things to myself, it will be a waste of money, I don't really play games as often as I used to, it's going to be just sitting there, etc etc. No amount of words can fully describe the experience of putting on the headset and running through the Oculus DreamDeck for the first time. The feeling of vertigo standing on the ledge over the city, the shiver that runs down your spine as the T-Rex Turns in your direction and heads straight for you. No words can convey the feelings as you pull an arm of a robot in Robo Recall and duck a bullet before pulling your shotgun and blasting a droid in the face, or when you first start Eleven Table Tennis and start giggling with excitement as it feels so real.

Why would you wait 2 years to experience this??? I don't feel like I paid too much and I paid full price for everything!!

Associate
After a few days here, its absolutely awesome. Ive only been playing Roborecall and Elite but they really do kick my ass.
So definitely would take the plung (if your funds allow of course).

No doubt its a gadget but a very entertaining one and you have to think about it in that way and how much return on investment in terms of fun you will get with this thing.

Thank you, It's in line with what I keep reading. Appreciate the feedback

Associate
What do you want VR for?

If you want room scale VR then you need to add in the cost of a 3rd or even 4th sensor which are £60 each.

I also bought a ~£75 USB card (StarTech PEXUSB3S44V) as I am running an old GA-Z77X-D3H (incompitible VIA chipset) motherboard with a 3770k. This one USB card has 4 dedicated ports unlike the cheaper options which allows me to connect the 2 sensors(may get a 3rd/4th) and the headset while keeping my front facing compatible intel ports free for storage.

You may also want some decent cable extensions which will add another ~£40.

Is it worth it? First thing I did was smack my self in the face with a virtual drinks can. Punched the shelves behind me a few times since and now can't raise my right arm from defending my castle gate with a bow and FLAMING arrows.

That's the other concern, I'm either going to play it a few times and ignore it or disappear into a virtual world.

It does sound like a huge laugh but it's going to be an expensive hobby. Appreciate the heads up about other costs.

Associate
I admit I am totally hooked on VR, so I am biased :) I paid full price of the Rift and the controllers. In my opinion, at this price, it's too good of opportunity to pass up. Your case is slightly different because you have to buy a GPU as well.

I haven't played any ordinary games since getting the Rift.

But, I do understand what you are going through. Said the same things to myself, it will be a waste of money, I don't really play games as often as I used to, it's going to be just sitting there, etc etc. No amount of words can fully describe the experience of putting on the headset and running through the Oculus DreamDeck for the first time. The feeling of vertigo standing on the ledge over the city, the shiver that runs down your spine as the T-Rex Turns in your direction and heads straight for you. No words can convey the feelings as you pull an arm of a robot in Robo Recall and duck a bullet before pulling your shotgun and blasting a droid in the face, or when you first start Eleven Table Tennis and start giggling with excitement as it feels so real.

Why would you wait 2 years to experience this??? I don't feel like I paid too much and I paid full price for everything!!

I think that's it, once I put on the headset I'm sure I'll be hooked. Without VR I kinda feel like I'm missing out. I been waiting for VR since before lawnmower man came out. But was put off by the motion sickness and cost.

Suddenly it's more affordable and i don't seem to hear about motion sickness anymore.

Also looking forward to resident evil VR coming out in 2018 for the PC. It was the original RE that resulted in me buying a playstation 1.

My mind is virtually made up, I'll keep looking for a second hand 970 to keep the cost down and if I find one I'm likely to take the plunge.

Thank you all for the advice.

Soldato
Ok i'm gonna pre-order one now from ocuk :D

edit: the site died when i tried, think god is telling me not to buy one ;(

Last edited:
Soldato
Reading the thread it sounds really positive.

I'm still sitting on the fence, (The price drop has put me up there) but I'd still need to pick up a graphic card (thinking a 970 to get me started) and possibly the usb card as I've read my usb 3 may not be compatible on my msi motherboard.

Now some of you have had it for a few days and others longer do you think it's worth jumping on board now or waiting another year or two before taking the plunge?
I didn't really play games any more but when I got vr that all changed now most of my spare time is in vr. Had my vive for a year and still play 2+ hours a day it helps if you like driving/flight simulator/space games because they have much better replay value.

Soldato
So I ordered an hour ago, and I've just got an email that my order has shipped, wasn't expecting it that soon! Are ocuk sending out stock then?

Permabanned
Okay so I ran the Oculus Rift compatibility tool and it didn't flag any issues with any of my USB ports so all should be good. I'll connect the HMD + 2 sensors to the USB 3.0 controller (as have more ports on that) and a 2rd sensor to the USB 3.1 controller.

Put 2 devices the USB 3.0, 2 on the USB 3.1 if possible.

Associate
by devices do you mean headset as well as the sensors? and if so and advice is to put two devices only on the usb 3 card then is it better to put
(i) the two sensors on usb 3.0 and the headset on usb 2.0 or
(ii) one sensor and the headset on usb 3.0 and one sensor on usb 2.0?

Associate
I now have a 3rd email to say it's coming Monday, happy days :D
Yea thanks for rubbing it in there.....lol Contacted customer support before they closed and he said there Is no stock so, kinda annoyed if it's not the case considering the so called que has been bypassed. Anyways hope you do get it on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom