Any pilots here?

Hitman
Soldato
I ended up emailing a certain CEO on Wednesday evening (and got a very prompt reply, I must say) which definitely rustled a few feathers at my school and CAA. I can't divulge into detail but we found out why the CCC I was given wasn't accepted this morning. The day has ended with me getting a phone call from the CAA saying the application has been pushed through and issued, but won't be dispatched until Monday.

Nice to experience all the bad press I read about the CAA for myself! Can't imagine how some of you have survived dealing with them through your careers so far!

Associate
Finished my 777 rating, submitted the paperwork and got my temporary licence from the authority in 4hrs, so a bit quicker than the CAA I imagine!

Soldato
After 12 years I finally got back into a glider! Spent the day at Lasham with some friends from my old uni gliding club. I'd forgotten how much fun it is! Sadly the weather was crap so there was no decent soaring (the downside to Lasham being dependant on thermals!) Managed to have nearly an hours flight which wasn't bad. Def tempted to try and go solo in them again now.

Associate
Well done Inferno. What were you on before?

Cheers guys!

320 and then 330, 777 seems much better in non normals from my minimal experience. The plane seems clunky compared airbus on day to day things, autopilot system seems much more complex and confusing compared to airbus which surprised me, but non normals are much much simpler so it's a trade off! MTOW is a bit more at 351 tonnes and I feel a bit more like a "real" pilot than on airbus :D

Not bad going for this guy, Heathrow captain at BA age 32 and joined in 2011!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/28/married-ba-co-pilots-say-ideal-working-partnership/

Soldato
Cheers guys!

320 and then 330, 777 seems much better in non normals from my minimal experience. The plane seems clunky compared airbus on day to day things, autopilot system seems much more complex and confusing compared to airbus which surprised me, but non normals are much much simpler so it's a trade off! MTOW is a bit more at 351 tonnes and I feel a bit more like a "real" pilot than on airbus :D

Not bad going for this guy, Heathrow captain at BA age 32 and joined in 2011!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/28/married-ba-co-pilots-say-ideal-working-partnership/[/QUOTE

Haha I was at Oxford with his wife. Although I think she was a few courses after me.

Isn't it quite common to have young/recently joined shorthaul captains in BA now? Pretty much everyone I know in BA say it's mainly due to the fact that the BA shorthaul lifestyle is awful and no one wants to do it?

Although I'm not sure I can talk to you since you're an Airbus traitor :p real pilot on a Boeing?? Lies :D

Associate
Why not have the best of both worlds and have an Embr..... actually no, I'll stop there before I embarrass myself :D

From a BA SH point of view, as correctly said, I don't think it's the old 10+ yrs to LHS any more, turnover is quite large. Certainly at CFE our turnover of flight crew is huge, almost guaranteed captain at 3000hrs so long as you're not a total chump. But realistically, from an early career point (like myself), where do you go which treats you well yet has career opportunities to go long haul? I'd say pretty much nowhere right now.

Remember, we are not pilots, we are machines. Sleep is optional, rest is optional, work is life, life is work.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Hello again pilots :D

There was an A321 returning from Turkey to Manchester (Thomas Cook) a couple of days back that had to shed 100 passengers due to a technical issue.

What on earth could be severe enough to need to ditch that many people but still safe enough to fly on?

Is it likely some procedural thing like number of passengers per working toilet or is there something more technical and interesting behind it?

Associate

There was an A321 returning from Turkey to Manchester (Thomas Cook) a couple of days back that had to shed 100 passengers due to a technical issue.

What on earth could be severe enough to need to ditch that many people but still safe enough to fly on?

Is it likely some procedural thing like number of passengers per working toilet or is there something more technical and interesting behind it?

I asked a few of my Tommy mates and none knew what happened. However, one of them said it's most likely down to a doors issue, more likely the lack of spares to fix said issue. For a plane to depart I imagine there must be a set amount of exits for the pax load, don't ask me how many as that's the job of Mr. Airbus or Boeing, I'm just a button presser :p It wouldn't surprise me if it somehow tallies in with the 50 pax per cabin crew rule.

It must have been financially more beneficial to the airline to operate a half full aircraft than cancel and wait for the parts to arrive. Doesn't make sense to me but airlines can do funny things to protect the "big picture".

Associate

The company would have a Minimum Equipment List for the aircraft - if something breaks then the plane might still be able to go flying but maybe with some restrictions, eg (completely making these examples up btw) Seat 13D reading light blown? - no issue. Landing gear staying down and locked? - can be ferried empty to a maintenance base and speed limited to xyz kts. Coffee machine broke? - Grounded.

Sounds like something on the A321 broke that really limited their max take off weight. My poorly educated guess would be one of the wheel brakes failing - that would mean that they wouldn't be able to safely stop before the end of the runway if they had to abort the takeoff at the last second with a full load, but still could with only half the load. That said I could also be talking completely out of my arse here...

Hitman
Soldato
Took my first passenger up today - my partner! Had quite the crosswind at the airfield so I almost called it but was within my personal limits - she loved every second of it, also one of my better landings! Just filling out the paperwork after we landed and one of the other schools aircraft declared a mayday whilst in the circuit. Was very evidently something wrong with the engine, could hear it from the ground. We removed the cowling after they landed and one of the intakes on the cylinders had come off so it had lost power. Both pilot and passenger (it was his first time!) were ok albeit shaken.

Soldato
Had a great flight this morning, first one since beginning of June as been busy with other commitments, the weather and visibility were amazing. As I hadn't flown for a while we went through dual check, like a mini test that covers everything including stall and spin recovery etc.

Next flight will be a circuit refresher with some solo and then back onto my nav, only have one more to complete before my solo nav hopefully.

Hitman
Soldato
Had a great flight this morning, first one since beginning of June as been busy with other commitments, the weather and visibility were amazing. As I hadn't flown for a while we went through dual check, like a mini test that covers everything including stall and spin recovery etc.

Next flight will be a circuit refresher with some solo and then back onto my nav, only have one more to complete before my solo nav hopefully.

Glad to hear you're back in the air! Only managed two flights since my last post - a bit busy with work.

Back
Top Bottom