Any pilots here?

Associate
I didn't know controllers had to have medicals. Is it strict vs Class 1 or 2?

Had an excellent controller experience out of IBZ the other day, within 6,000ft I had already spoken to 5 different frequencies, not including ground, none of which I could understand properly. The sixth just cleared me to a point 200 miles away and then went back to counting his euros I suspect. It's always a welcome change to get transferred to London/Scottish, or somewhere decent like Maastricht or Rhine, I love northern European efficiency after 1000 miles of confusion.

Soldato
Learn something new every day! I guess it's not ideal to have a controller keel over mid shift!

Indeed. Probably not so much an issue in a busy centre, but at the likes of Edinburgh it certainly would be an issue. Usually on nightshift, I'm doing GMC, Tower and Approach combined for up to 4 hours with nobody else in the room.

Associate
Indeed. Probably not so much an issue in a busy centre, but at the likes of Edinburgh it certainly would be an issue. Usually on nightshift, I'm doing GMC, Tower and Approach combined for up to 4 hours with nobody else in the room.

I forgot you were EDI. I keep meaning to try organise a visit up the tower before I move base in October. It'd be great to see the view and meet the people I talk to every day at work!

Is there much in the way of movements over night, especially now Titan have stopped the mail runs? Must be a long evening if it's quiet!

Soldato
It's usually pretty steady with inbounds until about 2am and then the outbounds start calling for clearances from 5am. Between 2 and 5 there isn't much in the way of aircraft with the exception of the Inverness mail flight, but there's usually a lot of vehicles, engineers going out to fix lights, expansion works, aircraft tows etc.

You based at EDI just now? What airline?

Associate
It's usually pretty steady with inbounds until about 2am and then the outbounds start calling for clearances from 5am. Between 2 and 5 there isn't much in the way of aircraft with the exception of the Inverness mail flight, but there's usually a lot of vehicles, engineers going out to fix lights, expansion works, aircraft tows etc.

You based at EDI just now? What airline?

Interesting, never considered the ground vehicles still being under control in the dead of night.

I am EDI based right now until October 3rd when I move back to London. I work for CFE. We've no doubt spoken many times! (Slightly creepy :eek:)

Soldato
Interesting, never considered the ground vehicles still being under control in the dead of night.

I am EDI based right now until October 3rd when I move back to London. I work for CFE. We've no doubt spoken many times! (Slightly creepy :eek:)

No doubt, I'm one of the few Scottish voices you'll hear at EDI ATC ;)

Associate
No doubt, I'm one of the few Scottish voices you'll hear at EDI ATC ;)

If you're on tomorrow I'll be on the 1435L to LCY (don't know callsign). If you were on this morning I was the ZRH arrival just before 0850L.

I'm going to assume you're not the female voice on the radios, so that narrows it down more.

Small world!

Associate
Unfortunately we don't decide on your stand :(

"Taxi stand 212, via Lima, Runway 12 and Sierra" :p

You dare, you dare! :D

I know you don't assign stands, but, you could give me the wrong directions!

Edit: could be worse than 212, I've happily not had the pleasure of stands 50-54. I genuinely live closer to 54 than the terminal is!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom