Mini-Review: Samsung 40KU6400 as a monitor

Soldato
Anywhere you can purchase, and send back if you don't like? (If so, what courier?) Currently have an ultra-wide and wondering if this 40" 4K will be better. Tried 28" 4K when it first came out and I had to scale to see which kind of made it pointless imo.

Associate
The Samsung TVs have a PWM of 120hz, which is the lowest you'll find on any TV/Monitor. It's disabled above the 12/20 setting. Everyone claiming the PWM doesn't affect them will be running the TV at silly brightness levels, rather than a room calibrated level of 120-200 cd/m.
Is that all Samsung TV models and sizes?
I'm not running mine at silly levels, but honestly haven't noticed any issues (ks7500)
My backlight is set at 7 and brightness at 50.
But I also have the eco sensor enabled with a minimum of 1, so it dims even more with low ambient light

Associate
The Samsung TVs have a PWM of 120hz, which is the lowest you'll find on any TV/Monitor. It's disabled above the 12/20 setting. Everyone claiming the PWM doesn't affect them will be running the TV at silly brightness levels, rather than a room calibrated level of 120-200 cd/m.

Low being worse, right?

I had to return to my acer ultrawide. No issues. Really disappointed, more with the fact im sensitive to it, but I am exceptionally sensitive to things due to illness. It did look pretty fantastic. I think I still prefer Ultrawide in ratio though.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Associate
It will differ by model but only Sony produce a few TVs without PWM. You can check specifics at https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6300 with other models reviewed too.

Lower is worse yes. Even high frequency PWM is an issue for some (myself included). Headaches, tiredness, irritability, sore eyes etc.

Thanks for that. Tons of detail.

So does my Acer xr342ck monitor have PWM? I can’t find out. I wonder if it does but its higher and not a problem. Or if its is free from it completely. It does have ‘flicker reduction’ but I’d love to know if it has any PWM somehow.

Associate
Associate
DC means the backlight is running at a constant voltage and does not flicker. Almost every PC monitor today is DC/flicker-free and the few that aren't are generally shunned.

It's a shame TV manufacturers don't recognise the neurological issues of PWM. It's primarily a cost issue imo - PWM allows consistent colours across the entire brightness range with no effort. DC needs a fair bit of calibration.

Soldato
The 4:4:4 issue presents itself with blue on red and red on blue text, not white on blue.
This is completely wrong information. These pics I took from about 4 inches away with a very old 10 year old Sony Digital Camera! I also have Nvidia Digital Vibrance set to 100% & HDR enabled so in reality without those the picture is a lot sharper. There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding LG RGBW Super Nano HDTVs as PC monitors. I have been using mine for about 7 weeks now the PQ is flawless it can also do up to 120 Hz @ 1920x1080. I sit about 1ft away I cannot find any fault with it PQ wise its flawless. The only downside anyone wishing to buy one may find is some stock as the batches sell out super fast (mine was made Oct 2017!!!). Latest firmware also introduces a new HDR mode called Technicolour for 4K UHD & BD movies (it now has 5 x HDR modes including Dolby Vision so the built in Netflix 4K streaming looks even better now). To anyone looking to buy one of these I would say do your research there is so much misinformation out there regarding LG RGBW most of that is because until you start to disable the Post Processing PQ modes (which are ONLY designed for fast moving sports like Football!) & tweak for PC it even remembers all PQ tweaks per input so whatever you change on PC does not change the other Input Mode settings they are all saved independent of each other. Do not bother paying over the odds for an OLED these LG Super Nano are more than good enough & around £1-2K cheaper which you can then spend on hardware to drive 4K gaming smoothly!!
6rizqa.jpg

dp75tv.jpg

15g8r9d.jpg

2lse54x.jpg

Soldato
Hey guys is the Samsung MU6400 40" a good tv to have as a monitor? Thinking of buying one as its below £400 atm. Are there any better options for the same price?

Associate
this thread will give you the answer and more importantly the piece of mind, recommend having a read through, the KU6400 was replaced by the MU6400 and is the same pretty much.

Seen them around right now for £350, I'm waiting to pounce on one in the boxing day sales and will be using as a monitor.

Soldato
I bought one a couple of days ago. Fantastic picture quality as expected, although I use 125% scaling on Windows due to not having the best eyesight.

Gaming on it is good... but if you hate motion blur in games then you might not like the MU6400 in fast fps titles due to the subtle trails / blurring when panning left / right.

Some people will hate it. Some won't be bothered by it.

I'm getting used to it but still not 100% convinced I'm keeping it yet.

Only problem is there's nothing better at this screen size for the money afaik.

Vit

Vit

Associate
Hey guys is the Samsung MU6400 40" a good tv to have as a monitor? Thinking of buying one as its below £400 atm. Are there any better options for the same price?
this thread will give you the answer and more importantly the piece of mind, recommend having a read through, the KU6400 was replaced by the MU6400 and is the same pretty much.

Seen them around right now for £350, I'm waiting to pounce on one in the boxing day sales and will be using as a monitor.

You may also check some new dedicated 4k 40" minotors. There is one Philips at about £450. Reviews are mostly positive pointing out worse motion handling of darker shades typical for VA panels. But it has extended color gamut, good native contrast, light coating, and especially no PWM but DC instead might be of particular interest. And then it has gentle 3000 curve too and that is of real benefit in PC monitor scenario. https://www.shop.bt.com/products/ph...EOElphlF4EqpSoPlPzCKhHulOCQaNHjxoCOgwQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
Associate
I bought one a couple of days ago. Fantastic picture quality as expected, although I use 125% scaling on Windows due to not having the best eyesight.

Gaming on it is good... but if you hate motion blur in games then you might not like the MU6400 in fast fps titles due to the subtle trails / blurring when panning left / right.

Some people will hate it. Some won't be bothered by it.

I'm getting used to it but still not 100% convinced I'm keeping it yet.

Only problem is there's nothing better at this screen size for the money afaik.
Is there nothing in the TV settings that can reduce the blur? I ask as I’m weighing it up myself and any TV I buy will be in the living room and I’ll be gaming on it using my PC when the wife and kids are asleep, I personally can’t stand motion blur.
If you have checked, how does 1440p look on a 4k TV?

Vit

Vit

Associate
Is there nothing in the TV settings that can reduce the blur? I ask as I’m weighing it up myself and any TV I buy will be in the living room and I’ll be gaming on it using my PC when the wife and kids are asleep, I personally can’t stand motion blur.
If you have checked, how does 1440p look on a 4k TV?

I think the TV might have some kind of overdrive if you use the gaming picture profile but then you loose the extended color space if I am not mistaken. I don't perceive much motion blur myself on this telly, which would result from slow pixel transitions on darker shades. I used to have older Hanns.G 28 inch TN panel which was much worse in this regard. 1440p still looks great on these TVs. If you sitting are up close you may see some loss of detail which would maybe lower the advantage of spotting an enemy in distance in games like battlefield.

Back
Top Bottom