Fallout 4 VR

Associate
I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more love.

Playing this game is the first game where I pretty much forget I'm using VR. I'm just playing Fallout 4 but actually there!
There are some niggles but it's all moddable so I can make it the perfect game for me.

Runs lovely for me with no hitches. I think this is the one title that will possibly make me use up the full 4 hour charge on my wireless headset in one go :)

Associate
It's a very poor VR experience.

:confused:

I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more love.

Playing this game is the first game where I pretty much forget I'm using VR. I'm just playing Fallout 4 but actually there!
There are some niggles but it's all moddable so I can make it the perfect game for me.

Runs lovely for me with no hitches. I think this is the one title that will possibly make me use up the full 4 hour charge on my wireless headset in one go :)

I'm really enjoying it too, it's great fun. Now I just need Skyrim VR on PC to happen, and my wish list is complete! Well, Skyrim VR and compatability with SkyrimTogether, so I can co-op it up with my girlfriend, then it's complete.

Soldato
I've only just come back to a new Vive after a year off but I did install the original Fallout/Skyrim VorpX mods and they were awful! Terrible FOV and it mostly felt very much like a forced 2D/3D experience and was one reason I bailed out early.

The difference between native and forced game engines is night and day, graphically only limited by the current hardware so a very positive experience from that perspective.

Now as for being a true VR experience then no it will disappoint if you are expecting that as there is very little interaction with the environment apart from the usual point and select options like the normal keyboard and mouse interface. I hate the pads too as they are far too sensitive for me but maybe I can tweak that at least.

The game has longevity (even though I played through it before) which was another reason I sold my first Vive as I ran out of stuff to do!

Last edited:
Associate
Played again last night and even though I've played it through several times I wanted to investigate more in VR. I talked to more people, I looked round more houses, I just took my time having fun. VATS is fun, I don't think I used it at all in pancake mode but love using it now. I still haven't quite sussed out what uses up the AP yet but just having slo mo fun is all I need :)

Soldato
Finally decided to jump on this yesterday, after finding my old nexus account. Before playing with the ini, and taking the performance mods in, I gave it a couple of hours out of the box untouched. Both performance and looks were fairly poor, more to do with the lighting, and a plastic static map painting aesthetic look which became awfully obvious when first exiting the vault looking over the wasteland. When entering concord that changed a little, less of the map painting look in the town, the frames were just about keeping up. Some of the integrations of the controls and VR interface I like, the pip boy on the arm is fantastic, it sets itself apart from the rest of the engine with clear sharp visuals and natural control with the vive controllers.

Have to say from the off though I was impressed with the immersion, the initial run to the vault grabbed me in, exiting the vault even more so. The stand out moment for me so far was that death claw creature that popped out of the road, I literally missed a heart beat when it jumped in my face as I was busy shooting raiders, not noticing it's arrival.

Despite the performance problems it has, mostly due to purposing Bethesda's clunky engine, it's very much is a standout experience. The visual scale of the landscape makes it that alone, with a vibrant world active around you adding to that.

After playing with a ini file and having 20 minutes with it in game, ill say frames are tighter, the colour glare isn't so overbearing, and there's less of the plastic bit map look. Now just the process of trawling through performance mods one at a time to see how tighter we can get things.

All said I can see why it's easy to hit on. Performance out of the box is poor, VR interactions are limited, and lack a lot compared to what's recently been achieved in revisiting other older games. The positive that hits all of that in the face though is the ever willing community to slap Bethesda down, picking up their slack effort. I think we'll get there in the short term with those efforts, and we'll move to something better down the line with another game.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally decided to jump on this yesterday, after finding my old nexus account. Before playing with the ini, and taking the performance mods in, I gave it a couple of hours out of the box untouched. Both performance and looks were fairly poor, more to do with the lighting, and a plastic static map painting aesthetic look which became awfully obvious when first exiting the vault looking over the wasteland. When entering concord that changed a little, less of the map painting look in the town, the frames were just about keeping up. Some of the integrations of the controls and VR interface I like, the pip boy on the arm is fantastic, it sets itself apart from the rest of the engine with clear sharp visuals and natural control with the vive controllers.

Have to say from the off though I was impressed with the immersion, the initial run to the vault grabbed me in, exiting the vault even more so. The stand out moment for me so far was that death claw creature that popped out of the road, I literally missed a heart beat when it jumped in my face as I was busy shooting raiders, not noticing it's arrival.

Despite the performance problems it has, mostly due to purposing Bethesda's clunky engine, it's very much is a standout experience. The visual scale of the landscape makes it that alone, with a vibrant world active around you adding to that.

After playing with a ini file and having 20 minutes with it in game, ill say frames are tighter, the colour glare isn't so overbearing, and there's less of the plastic bit map look. Now just the process of trawling through performance mods one at a time to see how tighter we can get things.

All said I can see why it's easy to hit on. Performance out of the box is poor, VR interactions are limited, and lack a lot compared to what's recently been achieved in revisiting other older games. The positive that hits all of that in the face though is the ever willing community to slap Bethesda down, picking up their slack effort. I think we'll get there in the short term with those efforts, and we'll move to something better down the line with another game.
What mods did you install?

Associate
21 hours in to this, still enjoying it.

I would love to see sky rim, but even better, Portal, There was a 10 level VR demo from the mod community which was excellent.

Associate
did they fix the scopes on the sniper rifle? It was the weapon I wanted to use and i've been holding off till they fixed it. I wanted to sneak and snipe :o

Back
Top Bottom