2018 Chilli Growing thread

Soldato
@Street, they are looking good! Is that just using natural light?

Quick question, is there a known brand of compost thats best, or does it not really matter? Wilko do Westland multi purpose with John innes (whatever that is) and they do Miracle-gro which is a bit more expensive.

Yeh, just natural light, but they're sat in my porch which gets the sun and they're also on a heat mat. I just use what ever compost I can find the cheapest, mix it with vermiculite and have never had a problem. I've used the Wilko stuff before with good results.

Associate
@Street agreed that yours are looking really good
Mine are currently where yours were at the start of Feb. Both the Padron & hot wax are doing best, with pepperoncini and aji limon trailing behind them.
On the plus side i did manage to finally germinate 5 out 6 scotch bonnet, they'll come out of the propagator and join the others shortly

Soldato
Thanks, i think i'll just grab a 50l bag of the multipurpose John Innes stuff then and a bag of perlite from Wilko. I can't remember which compost I first used, but i had the plants for like 3 years with no black fly infestations or anything. Ever since i have had problems every year. I think the first compost was probably peat based, but it seems hard to get these days. Now most peat free composts seem to be filled with stones, plastic and all sorts.

Associate
Bit late this year with getting seeds going. Planted them last Friday and got a few sprouting already. Will have to post pics from my phone as Sky have decided to fail me for what is likely to be the weekend of no internet now :mad: engineer due this morning to confirm its an openreach problem :mad:

This year gone for Aji Limon, Jalapenos, and ring of fire. Misses is growing some willie peppers for entertainment value...:p:p:p

Associate
Not sure how large photo is going to be so throwing it in spoiler for now
P_20180309_192310.jpg

P_20180316_203929.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I feel I need to get going. We're doing a veg patch this year, weather is so far not helping.
Last time I had chillies I had more plants then I knew what to do with, just want one high crop plant.

Anyone feel like sending some seeds my way? #beingcheap

Soldato
Cayenne, ring of fire and Thai Dragon have all cropped well for me in the past and give a nice all rounder chilli that isn't too hot. I'm afraid I don't have any seeds though, but i'm sure someone will have some. I think theres still time to plant from seed to get a crop by summer if you manage to get some soon.

I got the plugs I ordered from ebay potted up into 9cm pots today. I went with the Westland multipurpose with John innes from Wilko and according to the bag it has a high peat content, so should hopefully be decent. It looks like decent stuff, with no house bricks, bits of number plate or big chunks of wood found yet, like i have in other bags of peat free compost in the past. Mixed with some perlite as well to help the soil drain better, in the hope of not getting any gnat infestations if the soil doesn't stay damp.

Danthechilliman on ebay seems like a good seller if anyones after plugs. They were much bigger than I was expecting with like 3-4 sets of leaves already and were posted the same day and received the next, well packaged. Very happy with them.

Soldato
I feel I need to get going. We're doing a veg patch this year, weather is so far not helping.
Last time I had chillies I had more plants then I knew what to do with, just want one high crop plant.

Anyone feel like sending some seeds my way? #beingcheap

I'm always the same, I end up getting overrun with plants! This year the missus has put a limit on it so I'm down to 4 varieties and when I pot them on again I'll have to be ruthless and select the best plants.

Trust me your address, I've got a few left over so I'll stick them in the post on Monday. The basket of fire chillies I've got are worth doing. They're a hybrid variety so really easy to grow, nice small compact plant and fruit like crazy!

Soldato
I'm always the same, I end up getting overrun with plants! This year the missus has put a limit on it so I'm down to 4 varieties and when I pot them on again I'll have to be ruthless and select the best plants.

Trust me your address, I've got a few left over so I'll stick them in the post on Monday. The basket of fire chillies I've got are worth doing. They're a hybrid variety so really easy to grow, nice small compact plant and fruit like crazy!

Thanks for the offer. Just bought some, not actually that more expensive than postage anyway.

The biggest size of my last plant was 4ft+ may try and keep it going over the winter. I can't remember why it died in the end.

Soldato
lImI6jH.jpg.png

Quick pic of the plugs I bought so I can check the progress later. I thought I had bought them just at the wrong time as we ended up with 8" of snow and grey skies, but the next day its been strong sun. They seem to be loving it :cool:.

The small one in the middle is the Birdseye demon the seller gave me for free I'm hoping it catches up as I haven't tried growing a birdseye chilli before, so interested to see how it turns out. Apparently they are pretty hot, so theres a chance it might not be sunny enough where I live.

Associate
Looking good Mark - I wanted to grow some birdseye from seed I took out of a chilli I got from local diy curry shop though the first batch failed to take. Got a couple unknowns sprouting now but g/f cant remember if its birdseye or seeds she brought back from her parents she's planted as the label has washed off :( going to have to wait till summer to see if they survive to fruit and see what turns up.

Out of interest do you guys keep your chilli plants indoors all year or put them out in garden once summer arrives? Last year our chilli plants took a beating while we were on holiday as left in greenhouse which set them back a good month. Person who was looking after pets and garden forgot to go in greenhouse to water those plants :rolleyes:

Soldato
I tried putting them in the greenhouse one year and was forever removing caterpillars, green flies and slugs, so gave up. I'm sure others have had amazing results though from previous threads.

Soldato
Out of interest do you guys keep your chilli plants indoors all year or put them out in garden once summer arrives? Last year our chilli plants took a beating while we were on holiday as left in greenhouse which set them back a good month. Person who was looking after pets and garden forgot to go in greenhouse to water those plants :rolleyes:

Mine stay in the porch all year much to the missus delight! :) I'm away for two weeks in the summer though so I'm a bit worried about them, I may have to move them somewhere cooler while I'm away as I doubt they'll get watered.

Soldato
Has anyone tried a 30w cfl grow light? I did have a 125w I bought years ago, but cant find it :(. As i'm only growing 5 this year I don't want to spend £20 on a new light, so was wondering if the 30w (2000 lumen) would be worth getting to stick in a desk lamp when its overcast like today?

Associate
lImI6jH.jpg.png

Quick pic of the plugs I bought so I can check the progress later. I thought I had bought them just at the wrong time as we ended up with 8" of snow and grey skies, but the next day its been strong sun. They seem to be loving it :cool:.

The small one in the middle is the Birdseye demon the seller gave me for free I'm hoping it catches up as I haven't tried growing a birdseye chilli before, so interested to see how it turns out. Apparently they are pretty hot, so theres a chance it might not be sunny enough where I live.

Hi Mark,

Don't worry about your Birdseye, its a very small and compact plant, here is mine from 2016, excuse the slightly blurry photo. It'll grow just fine and will give you hundreds of bullet sized chillies even in the first year.

P.S I am pleased you are happy with your plants ;)

Dan

Soldato
Hi Mark,

Don't worry about your Birdseye, its a very small and compact plant, here is mine from 2016, excuse the slightly blurry photo. It'll grow just fine and will give you hundreds of bullet sized chillies even in the first year.

P.S I am pleased you are happy with your plants ;)

Dan
Small world! Yeah, really happy with them, just wish there was a bit more sun as I can't find my grow light, although they seem to be growing well. Already got roots poking through the pots I potted into.

I can't see the picture due to Photobucket being rubbish and blocking it, but it's good to know its normal they're pretty small.

Last edited:
Associate
The cat's mauled the chilli's :eek:

I'd moved them down to the middle shelf for safety however the cat got into the top shelf overnight and went fishing for chilli's - she's a monster...

The Padron and hot wax came through relatively unscathed, aji limon still looking like they might survive but Pepperoncini's and Scotch Bonnet have been hardest hit - one of three and one of five surviving this brutal and unwarranted attack.

A real shame about the pepperoncini as I really wanted a decent supply for pickling - a quick google and I can't easily find the plants available so I'll need to start some more from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom