2018 Chilli Growing thread

Caporegime
Bit early, but I have questions.

I have a 2X2 space that I can use to grown some chillies indoors this year. Is this a big enough space to bring along around 5 or 6 plants to the point where they can be moved into the garden?

Also, would one of the Viparspectra 300w LED lights provide enough coverage? I’m in the south east, so probably have the best climate in the UK. When would be a good time to start?

Associate
Bit early, but I have questions.

I have a 2X2 space that I can use to grown some chillies indoors this year. Is this a big enough space to bring along around 5 or 6 plants to the point where they can be moved into the garden?

Also, would one of the Viparspectra 300w LED lights provide enough coverage? I’m in the south east, so probably have the best climate in the UK. When would be a good time to start?

2x2 sounds like more than enough space for that number of plants if they're going outside later on.
I'll probably get mine started in late jan/early feb in the conservatory.

I'll check with my brother on the lights, he's a chilli fanatic and has grown them under lights before.

Soldato
I got mine started at the end January last year but one of the cats ended up knocking all the seedlings off the window sill and breaking them which put me back a month or so. I still had a decent crop from the habs and Basket of Fire, but it meant my Tabascos were in too late and were flowering as it was starting to get cooler.

2x2m? That should be loads of space, I had 8 plants in my porch alone.. Much to the missus annoyance! :D

Soldato
Trying an experiment one plat outside and the other three in the conservatory (unheated).

The one outside has already died but due to the plant rotting thanks to the hideous rain.

The ones inside have finally dropped their leaves but remain alive..

Soldato
This years seeds have been ordered.. I'm going to be growing habaneros and basket of fires again as I've had good results from them the last couple years and I've also ordered some Carolina Reaper seeds as an experiment!

Man of Honour
Never toesrly if you have grow lights and indoor space.the more mature you can get them before summer comes the betrer.
As for that led no idea. However I have tried cheap led grow lights in the past and they were utterly useless.

Another year with no chilli growing :(

Soldato
Any recommended places to order seeds? Always wanted to try growing my own. In fact last year I did get myself some chilli plants but my cat dug them up and **** on them.

Caporegime
Anyone recommend what seeds to buy, for a first attempt?

Also I live in Cyprus, whens the best time to start? A lot of rain here just now, and actually pretty cold. End of Jan? Though I'm away for 3 weeks, I assume they will need maintenance, and most likely die over that time...

Soldato
why is this in this section? last year this thread was half the one of others previous :(
Why wouldn't it be? Home and garden is the ideal place. Also H&G gets at least double the traffic that lacuisine does, and last years thread wasn't much different to the one the year before in LC, I think you are thinking about when the thread was in General Discussion and was a monster thread that got loads of new people into growing chillies, but unfortunately its no longer allowed to be posted in there :(.

Anyway thanks for the reminder OP, i'm going to definitely get back into it this year. Might start around Feb when its warmed up slightly though.

Soldato
Anyone recommend what seeds to buy, for a first attempt?

Also I live in Cyprus, whens the best time to start? A lot of rain here just now, and actually pretty cold. End of Jan? Though I'm away for 3 weeks, I assume they will need maintenance, and most likely die over that time...

End of January will be perfect, I'll be getting mine going in a couple weeks, but I'll be using a heat mat. If you start the seeds in a propagator they won't really need any attention for a good few weeks as it will retain any water. It's only when you pot the seedlings on they'll need watering. I've always had very good results from Habaneros and find them easy to grow. Some of the F1 varieties like basket of fire are good too. They are smaller plants that fruit loads.

Man of Honour
I'm planning on growing some aji amarillo this year. Hoping that what I've read about habanero-like taste without so much heat is true. Not that I don't like decent levels of heat but having more options is always good.

I find its a difficult balance starting too early for a head start and leaving it later and bringing them through quickly.
If you start too early its very easy to send them leggy unless you supply a lot of light. Doesnt affect the crop but its a taller bush ultimately, where as if you start later and they get loads of light from the start they tend to be squatter bushes

This year I am planning,
hungarian hot wax, cayenne, cherry bomb, trinidad perfume (habanero without the heat), habanero (assuming I can keep my one plant alive over winter), zimbabwe blacks, got 1 more think it was serrano

Gaining an extra poly tunnel at the allotment this year so can have one fully dedicated to chilli plants :)

Guy on the same allotments grows about 100 varieties. I wonder if he has anything else at all in his diet ;)

Any recommended places to order seeds? Always wanted to try growing my own. In fact last year I did get myself some chilli plants but my cat dug them up and **** on them.

You don't have to have special seeds either.
If its literally a first go you can salvage seeds from any fresh supermarket chilli.
They germinate really easily I found as your not trying to bring them from dormancy.

Birds eye chillis are a nice balance on heat and are easy to grow.

To germinate these types I would suggest wet kitchen towel in a zip lock type bag, place the seeds between two layers of towel and put them in a warm place.

Typically my aim is to grow chillis you cant get in the supermarkets so I avoid jalapeno etc as they are so cheap its not worth the bother of growing them, go for something you cant buy easily. IMHO. BUt if you want a go to see if you can and how it works out then I would seriously just buy some fresh chillis and use the seeds from that. (Jalapeno, birds eye, scotch bonnet all in pretty much every supermarket)

Soldato
My 2018 seeds have landed, got packets of the following:

Aji Limon
Big Jim
Chilly Chilli
Joe's Long
Purple Princess
Peter Peter

Good selection, need to dig out the propagators and get everything ready... Havent grown chillies since moving (moved 2 years ago, so 3 years + since growing). Also got space in the garden ready for a DIY greenhouse.. Not a perfect spot (will be against a 5ft wall on the south side) but better than nothing... Never had a greenhouse before! Should end up being about 3m by 1.5m, more if I can fit it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom