2018 Chilli Growing thread

Soldato
I've managed to over winter my scotch bonnet plant (so far at least) and I'm hoping it'll do well for me this year. I'd also like to grow some anchos with the intention of drying them for chilli powder. Need to find a good home though as the window sill where I've grown my last two scotch bonnets isn't going to be an option this year. Anyone grown them in one of those small plastic green houses?

Soldato
Mine are coming along nicely. From the seeds I planted I have 4 kitchen peppers, 6 basket of fires, 4 habaneros and 2 carolina reapers. I'll keep a couple each of the strongest plants when I pot them on and give the rest away so I'm not over run.

o2hbfERl.jpg

Soldato
Mayday.. lost where I put my frozen chilli peppers at the weekend :eek:

Plants seems to be overwintering in the conservatory nicely!

Associate
Planted mine today - 6 of each of hungarian hot wax, aji limon, pepperoncini, scotch bonnet and padron di pimento.

Once they're up will thin them out and settle on 2 of each plant - hopefully 3 padron though - need enough to produce sufficient crops for servings of fried padron peppers

Soldato
Just took mine out of the airing cupboard. Ghosts have a 100% success rate!... But my bonnets have only 5 or 6 seeds that have grown out of 20.

Moved them to the windowsill now to grow a few leaves before potting individually.

Soldato
Not going to do any this year - still got 2/3rds of jar of dried and crushed chillies and two bottles of chillies in vinegar and spices. - wife will be pleased as it frees up greenhouse a bit.

Associate
No sign of life on mine yet but still a lil' chilly :rolleyes: in the house - heating mat delivered today so they're on there now and will see what happens over the next week.

Also used some left over general purpose compost from last year which may not have been great condition - got some John Innes No' 1 on the weekend so if no results by the weekend will try another batch in fresh potting compost on the heating mat from day 1.

Last edited:
Associate
Just re-potted everything - I'll thin out the weaker plants as soon as one or other is established.

Also, I had only 3 of 6 Scotch bonnet germinate but they then failed take hold so trying again with another batch of seeds.

... Now if there was only some way to keep the cat off them I could keep them in the conservatory rather than window sill in kitchen.

Soldato
My chillis are starting to have a bit of a growing spurt. One of the Reapers looks a bit pathetic still but the other one is a decent size. I'll need to give a few away before I pot them on again so I don't get over run.

alyS9v9h.jpg

... Now if there was only some way to keep the cat off them I could keep them in the conservatory rather than window sill in kitchen.

One of the damn cats ruined mine last year and set me back by a month or so. There were doing well and they were all knocked off the window sill and broken! Now they live in the porch, out of the way of prying paws.

Soldato
@Street, they are looking good! Is that just using natural light?

Quick question, is there a known brand of compost thats best, or does it not really matter? Wilko do Westland multi purpose with John innes (whatever that is) and they do Miracle-gro which is a bit more expensive.

I bought some plug plants from ebay as I didn't get around to growing from seed again. Ordered Pimientos De Padron, Ancho Grande, Lemon Drop, Cayenne and the seller threw in a birds eye demon for free.

Back
Top Bottom