• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU PRICES: SOME BIG DROPS AT OcUK!!!

Soldato
^Yep.
And it's not comparable to ticket touts. Firstly, just one reason, since when have GPU's been 5 times their RRP? Secondly, how do ticket touts get their tickets to sell on in the first place? Differences between that method and a GPU supply chain?
Funny thing is, if any complainers ran a business that had the same supply/demand issues, you/we'd all do the same. Who here would sell their home for less than they believe it's worth, a value which itself is driven by supply/demand?

As someone else said, best prices are direct. Their prices are same as release prices. Back in Dec they had plenty of stock too - I picked up two cards easily and for weeks I think they still had more. At the moment I'm assuming pascal is getting close to EOL. I think FE cards are usually the first cards to disappear once that happens so probably a reason cannot get direct easily

Associate
^Yep.
And it's not comparable to ticket touts. Firstly, just one reason, since when have GPU's been 5 times their RRP? Secondly, how do ticket touts get their tickets to sell on in the first place? Differences between that method and a GPU supply chain?
Funny thing is, if any complainers ran a business that had the same supply/demand issues, you/we'd all do the same.

Ticket touting is the law of supply and demand. They buy at face value and sell at a huge mark-up other than what the suppler intended to sell at. How is retail price gouging on GPU's any different if a retailer adds 40% to the wholesale price which they have paid?

Soldato
Ticket touting is the law of supply and demand. They buy at face value and sell at a huge mark-up other than what the suppler intended to sell at. How is retail price gouging on GPU's any different if a retailer adds 40% to the wholesale price which they have paid?
They buy using a method they're not supposed to use (buying tickets meant for the end customer not a third party to sell on) and then hardly have any competition from other touts? GPU's are supplied fairly to retailers and then they're competiting with each other (other retailers).
I understand peoples frustration but at the end of the day you have a choice to buy or not.
I know if I made the best coffee in town, and I had a limited supply of that coffee to sell,I'd maximise what I can charge for that coffee so I run out at say 5pm each day, awaiting supply for the next. I wouldn't sell it cheaper so I run out at midday. I also wouldn't charge the same as my competitors as my coffee is better than theirs :).

Also, folks need to check their own ethics and moral before moaning about the price of stuff. We'd all do the same, period. Put yourself in the place of those running these companies.
I didn't like the prices hence I would only buy direct. To me, the average aftermarket cooler is worth £50 max on top of a FE card. I picked up two FE 1070 Ti's for £419 each that were like well over £600 recently (non-FE). I wasn't going to moan about the pricing as demand had caused that but then again I wouldn't have bought at that daft price either.

Last edited:
Soldato

Fundamentally there is no difference, it is basic economics but I don't get the point of your analogy? Whatever your personal views, there is a reason that touts sell high, because people still buy them. Same as when recent GPU demand has outstripped supply. Miners were buying cards and happy to at inflated prices. Stock shortages like this have not been seen before. The stock was also going to be sold anyway, regardless of price and only to miners who had the cash ready and waiting for large purchases. It makes no difference to you personally, you just have to ride it out or now take advantage of the falling prices. Nvidia has stock in right now at their prices before all this kicked off so just go and buy one.

Associate
Fundamentally there is no difference, it is basic economics but I don't get the point of your analogy? Whatever your personal views, there is a reason that touts sell high, because people still buy them. Same as when recent GPU demand has outstripped supply. Miners were buying cards and happy to at inflated prices. Stock shortages like this have not been seen before. The stock was also going to be sold anyway, regardless of price and only to miners who had the cash ready and waiting for large purchases. It makes no difference to you personally, you just have to ride it out or now take advantage of the falling prices. Nvidia has stock in right now at their prices before all this kicked off so just go and buy one.

Doesn't personally bother me at all what folk are prepared to pay for a GPU, up to them. I just find it odd when folk jump to the defence of any retailer that mugs them off for inflated profits.

Soldato
Doesn't personally bother me at all what folk are prepared to pay for a GPU, up to them. I just find it odd when folk jump to the defence of any retailer that mugs them off for inflated profits.

But nobody got mugged off as miners were buying them all to make profit themselves.

Anyway, glad to see the prices slowly returning. Mining = the biggest and most successful pyramid scheme ever devised. :D

Soldato
I would have more respect for any retailer that would be prepared to make their normal profit on top of what they pay wholesale. GPU price gouging is no different that ticket touts selling a 50 quid ticket for £300, because they can. I don't see many folk defending ticket touts.

You've got to ask why touts sell at such a markup - it's because people will pay. If they didn't then the touts would have to offload their tickets at sensible prices or be stuck with a worthless ticket they can't sell. Another example of supply and demand.

Miners will always pay for GPUs because they just see it as a way of making more money. Higher GPU prices just mean a little longer until return on investment and then profit. Until that isn't the case, it will be difficult to meet demand the way that GPUs are currently made in other people's factories, with other's people's components (that are also in short supply), especially with Nvidia and AMD not willing to risk being stuck with huge stocks when the bubble bursts.

Soldato
The difference is a major ingredient of the product, butter, had risen steeply in price. Which in turn had affected the price which the retailer buys at, which will affect the price a retailer sells at to make a profit. GPU ram prices rising is similar, we can all understand that. Naked profiteering by a retailer is slightly different.
It's not a difference it's the same thing - butter costs had risen therefore the biscuits went up by up to 35%
Memory costs have risen (along with unexpected demand) - GPU's went up.

Soldato
the £30 ssd has my attention as I find them useful for testing systems and for things like pfsense. It is good you are interested in this part of the ssd market because thats now dominated by unknown chinese players.
Will think about ordering some.

OcUK Staff
OP
Gratz then :) Stil lwaiting for Strix deal tho! :p

I doubt we will ever see a Strix deal again, even at over £1000 were in big negative numbers with pre-orders and Asus cannot meet the demand, not even remotely close.

All the sub £800 cards have now sold out, infact nearly all our 1080Ti are now sold out, pretty much nothing left.

Associate
I doubt we will ever see a Strix deal again, even at over £1000 were in big negative numbers with pre-orders and Asus cannot meet the demand, not even remotely close.

All the sub £800 cards have now sold out, infact nearly all our 1080Ti are now sold out, pretty much nothing left.
Are you getting anymore in at 750 Quid? was gonna buy one but waited to see if any new cards would be announced at the Nvidia Gtc the other day.

OcUK Staff
OP
Are you getting anymore in at 750 Quid? was gonna buy one but waited to see if any new cards would be announced at the Nvidia Gtc the other day.

The problem is we cannot do anything without stock and the stock we are getting is not enough to put them in stock, so we simply cannot do anything I am afraid.

Soldato

Yeah asus arent been nice on the pricing, I could see asus 1070 cards cost more than other brand 1080 cards.

Caporegime

Not that you can know for sure, but I wonder if even 20% of those were bought by gamers.

The way the cards sell out immediately suggests to me that miners are still gobbling them up.

Let's face it, the majority of gamers are not all clamouring to buy £800 - £1000 GPUs.

Associate
Not that you can know for sure, but I wonder if even 20% of those were bought by gamers.

The way the cards sell out immediately suggests to me that miners are still gobbling them up.

Let's face it, the majority of gamers are not all clamouring to buy £800 - £1000 GPUs.

But the higher price meaning much longer ROI would also drive miners to cheaper equivalents, wouldn't you think?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Surely the easiest tell tale sign of a miner purchasing a GPU would be his 'qty' count of >1 no? :D

Back
Top Bottom