Ubisoft FarCry 5 'are you ready' thread just shown up....

Soldato
You hav'nt played Ass Creed Origins, Horizon Zero Dawn or Monster Hunter then? Theres plenty of games out side of the likes of COD that are more than just cash grabs.

Assassin's Creed - No, dipped out of that series after it became the same game over and over again (just like Far Cry)... I might have played Origins actually, not sure - they're all just so samey I couldn't tell you

Horizon - Nope, it's console exclusive and I don't want a PS4 - lots of passion from those devs though; they love the craft so much that they want everyone to experience their work (oh but only if they bow down to a specific hardware manufacturer... cash grab much?)

Monster Hunter I have heard good things but can't really comment... but I'm not sure why I need to defend every larger budget game in existence over what was obviously a generalisation - I'll happily wager that my statement is true for more big budget/AAA games than not though...

Soldato
Only useful squad mate is Nick so far - he deals with those choppers, playing on hard Boomer and Grace are out of commision pretty damn quick.

Associate
What is the 'Capture Party Incoming' thing all about? 'Shoot him with the bliss bullet' stuff? You can't seem to run away and evade them, or can you?

Correct, you cannot evade, this is the forced encounters from the resistance bar others are talking about. Though it's fun to try, I think I lasted 10 minutes on one by hiding in an outpost on an LMG :D

Permabanned
Assassin's Creed - No, dipped out of that series after it became the same game over and over again (just like Far Cry)... I might have played Origins actually, not sure - they're all just so samey I couldn't tell you

Horizon - Nope, it's console exclusive and I don't want a PS4 - lots of passion from those devs though; they love the craft so much that they want everyone to experience their work (oh but only if they bow down to a specific hardware manufacturer... cash grab much?)

Monster Hunter I have heard good things but can't really comment... but I'm not sure why I need to defend every larger budget game in existence over what was obviously a generalisation - I'll happily wager that my statement is true for more big budget/AAA games than not though...

So you've basically said you have not even played most of the big games you are making the generalisation about anyway but...you're still right just because?

Origins is very much a big step away from the AC games and I'm not sure how HZD is a cash grab ,given its a sony owned studio so obviously they are making games for Sony.

No one says you need to defend yourself against every game in existence but you're making sweeping generalisations about games you admittedly know nothing about and have never played. You are taking a couple of games you HAVE played and tarring every game,ever, with the same brush.

Soldato
So you've basically said you have not even played most of the big games you are making the generalisation about anyway but...you're still right just because?

I'm still right because of how many games do fit that model, including the one this thread is about... it's fine though, if you feel you've got a lot invested in Far Cry 5 or whatever other title then fair play and there's no need to defend anything; changing my mind about the direction the industry has been going isn't going to suddenly restore proper quality to any of these games (not all games made by big budget studios but quite a large number of the most popular franchises sorry gotta be clear about what I say apparently)... If you can see past the laziness and greed of studios making games this way and extract some enjoyment from their work then more power to you, but you can't really be surprised that there are people getting increasingly sick of the way things are going

Permabanned
I'm still right because of how many games do fit that model, including the one this thread is about... it's fine though, if you feel you've got a lot invested in Far Cry 5 or whatever other title then fair play and there's no need to defend anything; changing my mind about the direction the industry has been going isn't going to suddenly restore proper quality to any of these games (not all games made by big budget studios but quite a large number of the most popular franchises sorry gotta be clear about what I say apparently)... If you can see past the laziness and greed of studios making games this way and extract some enjoyment from their work then more power to you, but you can't really be surprised that there are people getting increasingly sick of the way things are going

I dont have anything invested in FC5. I just disagree that all games are the same when I seem to play a lot more than you across different platforms and have first hand experience of it yet youve barely played any it seems but are clearly all knowing. I literally named you 3 of the biggest games of the last 12 month ,none are lazy cash grabs and you have not played any of them but brush it off as its not fitting your narrative.

Does what you are talking about exist? Of course it does but its not as absolute as that nor did I say it was. Thats 3 I named off the top of my head without even thinking about it really so its not about "being clear that its not all games".

Last edited:
Soldato
I just disagree that all games are the same when I seem to play a lot more than you across different platforms and have first hand experience of it yet youve barely played any it seems but are clearly all knowing. I literally named you 3 of the biggest games of the last 12 month ,none are lazy cash grabs and you have not played any of them but brush it off as its not fitting your narrative

And me "barely having played any games" is you brushing off my experience as not fitting yours... please disagree though, we don't have to come to a consensus on this...

I also didn't realise AC:Origins was the latest £50+ Egyptian skin for the Assasin's Creed dead-horse that came out for a beating recently - what a great example you chose (is it the 8th AC game that's still pretty much rehashing the same stuff again?) - inb4 "you haven't played it, there are so many incredible advances to the gameplay" - you're right I haven't, but I've seen enough coverage, streams and reviews to see that it's exactly as lazy and recycled as most of the stuff Ubisoft are churning out these days...

Soldato
If you don't like AAA games, why are you in the Far Cry thread?

Take your whinging ass back to whatever hipster indie thread you came from.

Douche.

Soldato
If you don't like AAA games, why are you in the Far Cry thread?

Take your whinging ass back to whatever hipster indie thread you came from.

Douche.

Bested by a superior intellectual argument again, I just can't compete with that

If you don't like other people's opinions, why are you on the internet?

Soldato
And me "barely having played any games" is you brushing off my experience as not fitting yours... please disagree though, we don't have to come to a consensus on this...

I also didn't realise AC:Origins was the latest £50+ Egyptian skin for the Assasin's Creed dead-horse that came out for a beating recently - what a great example you chose (is it the 8th AC game that's still pretty much rehashing the same stuff again?) - inb4 "you haven't played it, there are so many incredible advances to the gameplay" - you're right I haven't, but I've seen enough coverage, streams and reviews to see that it's exactly as lazy and recycled as most of the stuff Ubisoft are churning out these days...

Hmm, I think you're missing what makes a series a series though. If AC suddenly become a bullet hell game, or Far Cry suddenly became a turn based RPG... What good would that achieve? With the AAA market at the minute I can't really think of a game that straight up rehashes itself with a different name with the exception of most of the sports genres, FIFA etc.

Origins is actually a good example, the world design and detail in that game is way too advanced for it's time for the game to be a cash grab, a lot of core mechanics remain of course - that's just how sequels work. I will admit that some series like Fallout/Elder Scrolls & Witcher (first 3 that come to mind) advance massively and change even core mechanics with each sequel, but they are extraordinary and in the minority... Which I guess is proving your point to a degree LOL. But microtransactions aside, AAA is fine in terms of design, every game has something for almost everyone and making them is no small feat, except again; sports games.

Soldato
AAA is fine in terms of design, every game has something for almost everyone and making them is no small feat

Yes... "fine"... but just "fine"... it wasn't that long ago really that the big hitting companies were trying to always strive for better and better with every game (look at the FC2 detail video above for instance)... or a game like Witcher 3 since you mentioned it, not perfect but clearly a huge effort to make something new and go beyond their last game in the series... making them is no small feat sure but that's exactly why companies like Ubi have started recycling stuff to such a ridiculous degree - I'm not even solely talking about having the same genre/mechanics of the previous title, but borrowing from their other franchises as well (yes, the radio towers, but also the convoy missions, follow a person missions, releasing an animal from a cage to attack people, liberating an outpost/stronghold and having some friendlies show up, marking enemies, and plenty more besides... from a software development point of view this is genius; why bother making anything from scratch when you already have cookie-cutter elements you can just throw into the mix, reskin/rename a few things and come out with something full of "content" that is passable. It's not a bad thing but the laziness in how little they bother to tweak the formulas these days is insulting)

In that sense I guess these companies are still striving with every game, but it's for how they can reduce costs (by re-use and recycling) and extract cash out of people more efficiently than ever before... If they could get away with changing as little between games as FIFA does without risking people catching on they would do it in a heartbeat

Permabanned

No it's not but I'm sorry if I feel having played a game for 50 hours will give me a better understanding of it than "someone told me its rubbish so it is".

Back
Top Bottom