• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Associate
Yeah that's what I'm reading too. OC'd doesn't really get you much, if any, additional performance. Best off keeping temps down, power draw down and let it turbo itself. I get that people want to tinker with it though, it's what we do on here :D

Indeed ! My 1700x is at 3.9 all-core, but if I go Zen+ I probably won't bother for the first time since the Celeron 300A.

Associate
Yeah that's what I'm reading too. OC'd doesn't really get you much, if any, additional performance. Best off keeping temps down, power draw down and let it turbo itself. I get that people want to tinker with it though, it's what we do on here :D

You get to tinker with the cooling solution instead and not faff about de-lidding (cough Intel ^^). I'm really liking AMD's solution.

Associate
Well im extremely disappointed to say that the new 2700X has not fixed any of the boot problems I had before with the 1700. Even though I was told time and time again by people on forums and by ocUK staff that the problem was not the motherboard, but most likely a crappy IMC on the CPU. So either im the unluckiest person on the planet, and I've got another dog of a CPU (thanks ocUK) or my Crosshair VI is actually the culprit in this nightmare.

All I've done is set my memory to 3466 (TridentZ 3600mhz kit) and set the stilts 3466 profile, and reboots with an F9 error. I'd accept that if it wasn't for the fact that this setting worked fine last night (after my system had been on all day)
Anyway, eventually, after enough reboots, it will get past F9 and then stop on 7A (no idea what this is, it's a new one with the new bios) but it used to always stop on 54/55 with the 1700 in. So i'm no further forward.

Associate

That's because AMD is binning cores now, akin to what Intel did with their Skylake-X cores. The top 2 cores will be boosted to slightly above what's achievable by overclocking all of the cores to the same frequency (aka 2 cores can reach 4.35Ghz, but the rest can't, so the max all core overclock is 4.2Ghz).
In that scenario it's probably best to use the CPU at stock, only reason to overclock it would be if you need the performance for highly threaded applications.

Associate
Well im extremely disappointed to say that the new 2700X has not fixed any of the boot problems I had before with the 1700. Even though I was told time and time again by people on forums and by ocUK staff that the problem was not the motherboard, but most likely a crappy IMC on the CPU. So either im the unluckiest person on the planet, and I've got another dog of a CPU (thanks ocUK) or my Crosshair VI is actually the culprit in this nightmare.

All I've done is set my memory to 3466 (TridentZ 3600mhz kit) and set the stilts 3466 profile, and reboots with an F9 error. I'd accept that if it wasn't for the fact that this setting worked fine last night (after my system had been on all day)
Anyway, eventually, after enough reboots, it will get past F9 and then stop on 7A (no idea what this is, it's a new one with the new bios) but it used to always stop on 54/55 with the 1700 in. So i'm no further forward.

I have put mine in but just all at stock/3200mhz mem at the mo. I have similar issues to you I believe, i'll report back when i've tested properly.

Soldato
i spent all yesterday with my 2700x setup anfd after updating the bios from first release to the latest, my quad channel ram would only run at 3000mhz in quad or dual mode, after a bit more tinkering i got dual channel mode to boot at 3466mhz, (should mention i have a quad channel 3600mhz kit 16gb) during my ram issues i kept looping at starup with 3E error code and eventually it booted but at 2133mhz with a lovely message stating "booted in safe mode due to memeory incompatipility". since then i have ordered a new 16gb dual channel kit at 3466mhz as i know my particular boad will do that (asus crosshair VII hero)
cpu still sitting around 4.25gz on all 8 cores but i'm running into thermal issues, getting all my watercooling sorted out tomorow, that should fix the heat issue

Last edited:
Soldato

Have you set the boot up ram voltage to 1.4v ? What is your SOC voltage set to ?

Associate
I've decided to go for an X470 board as well with the 2700x as I will sell my current setup or give it to another family member.

I have gone for the Gigabyte Aurous Gaming 7, anyone had any experience with this?

Associate
Have you set the boot up ram voltage to 1.4v ? What is your SOC voltage set to ?
Everything other than setting memory to 3466 and stilts profile, is set to default. I only get these issues when my system is physically cold though, like first thing in the morning. I'll try increasing SOC and DRAM boot voltage later and report back ( didn't make a different on my 1700 though)

I did notice something odd this morning... My memory was only showing 8gb in the bios, instead of 16gb and I was getting F9 constantly. So I swapped them from slots 2 and 4, into 1 and 3, and it booted first time.

Soldato
Everything other than setting memory to 3466 and stilts profile, is set to default. I only get these issues when my system is physically cold though, like first thing in the morning. I'll try increasing SOC and DRAM boot voltage later and report back ( didn't make a different on my 1700 though)

Setting the stilts 3466 profile changes your ram voltage to 1.4v but dosn't set the ram boot up voltage, you need to do that yourself. If SOC voltage is still on Auto, it needs to set manually to about 1.1v. If you also set the memory Retry box at the top of the ram section to 4, it will more than likely stop any cold boot issue as well.

Associate
I've decided to go for an X470 board as well with the 2700x as I will sell my current setup or give it to another family member.

I have gone for the Gigabyte Aurous Gaming 7, anyone had any experience with this?

OC3D TTL wasn't impressed with the Aorus board in his review. Poor bios from Gig again.

Associate
blah
I don't know what to do. I have an 8700k & Motherboard unopened from that well known rainforest supplier, still within the return window. I was actually going to start my build today.

But I've seen several benchmarks now showing the difference in performance in games I play is so small it would make almost no difference. No need to worry about delids and so on, plus the chance to upgrade again later if I want without changing platform.

I am seriously tempted to return them and order a 2700x instead. I'm pretty sure the cooler I bought is compatible with AM4 as well. I know the 2700x comes with a cooler but the reviews I've seen are suggesting it is a bit noisy and I want a quiet build.

Soldato
blah
I don't know what to do. I have an 8700k & Motherboard unopened from that well known rainforest supplier, still within the return window. I was actually going to start my build today.

But I've seen several benchmarks now showing the difference in performance in games I play is so small it would make almost no difference. No need to worry about delids and so on, plus the chance to upgrade again later if I want without changing platform.

I am seriously tempted to return them and order a 2700x instead. I'm pretty sure the cooler I bought is compatible with AM4 as well. I know the 2700x comes with a cooler but the reviews I've seen are suggesting it is a bit noisy and I want a quiet build.

i'm switching out my 8600k, z370 setup tomorrow after ordering the 2700x and a asus crosshair VII x470, during my initial testing was looking very good compared to the 8600k after updating the bios, plus the 2700x will boost to it rated 4.35gz via xfr, if you leave the chip to its own devices the bundled cooler is more than enough to cope with the heat, its super quite as well, plus gotta love that rgb XD, if you plan to manual overclock then definatly swich out the cooler it sound like a jet engine and your cpu will hit 80+ degrees like mine.

almost forgot, buy a dual channel ram kit as the new chips dont really like fast quad channel kits as i found out the max under dual channel is around 3466mhz but quad channel seems to be stuck at 3000mhz

Associate
i'm switching out my 8600k, z370 setup tomorrow after ordering the 2700x and a asus crosshair VII x470, during my initial testing was looking very good compared to the 8600k after updating the bios, plus the 2700x will boost to it rated 4.35gz via xfr, if you leave the chip to its own devices the bundled cooler is more than enough to cope with the heat, its super quite as well, plus gotta love that rgb XD, if you plan to manual overclock then definatly swich out the cooler it sound like a jet engine and your cpu will hit 80+ degrees like mine.

almost forgot, buy a dual channel ram kit as the new chips dont really like fast quad channel kits as i found out the max under dual channel is around 3466mhz but quad channel seems to be stuck at 3000mhz
Ram confuses me.

I ordered some Team Group Xtreem 8pack edition 4000mhz dual-channel the other day when it was on offer at £180. Can't find it on the QVL "supported list".

I'm thinking of going with an X370 board because I think I could get a better spec board for the money and again having seen the review it seems like not a lot of performance difference.

Associate
Ram confuses me.

I ordered some Team Group Xtreem 8pack edition 4000mhz dual-channel the other day when it was on offer at £180. Can't find it on the QVL "supported list".

I'm thinking of going with an X370 board because I think I could get a better spec board for the money and again having seen the review it seems like not a lot of performance difference.

I would go for an X470 if you are going for a new build as as the features will work that are new

Back
Top Bottom