Mountain Biking

Caporegime
29 v 27.5 doesn't all come down to the wheelsize IMO, and more the bike itself. There really isn't much difference in it at all. If you try a 29er and a 650B, but both different bikes then you'll of course notice a difference. Geometry + Suspension design should be the first things to consider before wheelsize.

I didn't find the Hightower LT any less maneuverable or responsive than my 650B (Aeris). This on the EWS routes at Glentress too, so there is a few decent natural turns about.

At 5,4 I'd go 650B and just not worry about it.

Also bibs on Mountain Bikes, get out! ;)

Also the racing, wow. Great coverage redbull!

Soldato
The shorts digging in at the waist is what bothers me for now. It will be bibs under baggies Begbie!

Thanks for the advice on wheel sizes: Going 29 for now, I will have the option to change the bike if I want within 30 days and not excessive riding.

Caporegime
The shorts digging in at the waist is what bothers me for now. It will be bibs under baggies Begbie!

Thanks for the advice on wheel sizes: Going 29 for now, I will have the option to change the bike if I want within 30 days and not excessive riding.

I think I'm quite fortunate, I don't wear padded shorts at all on a mountain bike. Maybe the odd occasion but rarely.

You're off the seat quite often on a mtb. I wouldn't touch a roadie without padding though.

Soldato
29 v 27.5 doesn't all come down to the wheelsize IMO, and more the bike itself. There really isn't much difference in it at all. If you try a 29er and a 650B, but both different bikes then you'll of course notice a difference. Geometry + Suspension design should be the first things to consider before wheelsize.
This all day long!!!

The old wheel size debate... I regularly switch between bikes of wheel different sizes, my DH bike is 26", my Hardtail is 27.5" and i regularly out on my mates 29. My opinion is that the wheelsize debate is hugely over exaggerated, Yeah going 26 - 29 is going to be more noticeable. but the difference between 27.5-29 is marginal in day to day riding situations, Geometry and having the bike setup correctly is a much much more important factor.

Spend time finding a bike with the right numbers Headangle, reach, stack, rear stay length*.

*On that... my current annoyance. this push for mega short stays recently is getting silly, yeah we all like a quick handling bike but super short stays make things a little awkward trying to weight the bike correctly when things get mega fast and steep, forcing you to keep a more forward body position than ideal, no its not a show stopper and just requires a slightly different position, but it is noticeable, anybody else had issues with super short stays?

Also bibs on Mountain Bikes, get out! ;)

Also the racing, wow. Great coverage redbull!
Yeah bibs... No! Just wear some of those lycra nike combat style undees if you must.
I'm forever taking the **** out of my mate when he rocks up at the carpark looking like a complete prat in one of those bibs.
and nothing should dig in if you buy the correct size/fitting kit.
I just wear regular underwear when riding, always have, my gooch is tough as old boots.

Great race, my early opinions of the course were all wrong, it was brutal and technical and as far from your cookie cutter bike park setup as it can be, it turned out to be a great race, and i'd like to see more like that on the calendar with a bit more length and elevation drop.

Caporegime
Never noticed, but my bike doesn't have really short chain stays anyway. And I can't say I've ridden anything recently with one, and I've played on quite a few bikes this year. Or at least not any real amount of time to notice.

Yeah I wear Under Armour boxers, mostly because they don't chaff and keep the ball sweat away.

Incredible race, shame about the run by Greg and Perionn (?) with those punctures. Could've been a different podium too. Greg is having crap luck with his tyre, rim, whatever setup. That's 3 races between now and last season where a wheel issue has caused him a race.

I can see Gwinn stomping the competition this season.

If redbull does more coverage for Fort Bill I'll be buzzing.

Soldato
Incredible race, shame about the run by Greg and Perionn (?) with those punctures. Could've been a different podium too. Greg is having crap luck with his tyre, rim, whatever setup. That's 3 races between now and last season where a wheel issue has caused him a race.

I can see Gwinn stomping the competition this season.

If redbull does more coverage for Fort Bill I'll be buzzing.

Yeah, Minnaar is having a **** time with punctures, its not like they haven't tryed to address the issue, they have that fancy new anti flat system but still the same result. Gutted for bulldog, that was a rough stack.
Like you say I reckon it's Gwins to lose.
Don't like the new rules regarding the protected riders and run order, you qualify first you should be down last regardless.

I'll be trying to make it up to Fort William for the Sunday, won't be making a full weekend of it this year though.

Soldato
Finally broke my streak of puncture-less riding at just over a year :( Did Snowdon on my Voodoo Bizango yesterday :D Who needs full suss!? Had an absolute blast and rode way more than I thought I would/could. Up Llanberis Path and down Rangers & Telegraph Valley, was flying down Telegraph bunny hopping all the slate edged drain channels and one of the last ones didn't quite clear it with my back wheel. Not a full explosion but enough of a hole for the slime not to seal the tube.

Did 3 rides on the demo'd T130. 2 natural rides of mixed bridleway and rocky singletrack and one round the Marin trail. First 2 rides I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as my hardtail despite going way faster. I'm no pro rider but it just felt too easy and at the speed I was going I was conscious that it was going to be pretty serious if I came off, rather than getting a buzz from riding on the ragged edge of the hardtail at a much lower speed. It did make sense round the Marin though, properly enjoyed that.

I think i'll end up getting a full suss but for the amount of use it would get there's no way I could justify a Whyte. May pull the trigger on the Jamis Dakar as if MBR is anything to go by it should do me just as well as the T130.

Soldato
New bike day for me, CRC had delivered a large box with a silver and red bouncy thing in it :D

Mid way through setting it up, it's now (after several hours) ready ride to work tomorrow. Gears checked, bars/controls adjusted, tyre pressures checked, sag set, brakes bedded in, calipers adjusted, cable runs checked. Phew!

Need to apply the bike shield kit, and the rubber mastic tape, oh and go tubeless at some point in a few weeks probably, the rear minion SS will be coming off, the front DHF going in it's place and a WT 2.5 DHF will go up front.

It's about a foot bloody longer than the L size hybrid bike I've been using the last few weeks!

And a moody shot in the dark to finish.

Got it for £1650 with the £200 off offer that was running - SLX, revelation RC's, Deluxe RT, AR27 rims, brand X XL 150mm dropper, size XL. I'll weigh it this week, doesn't feel overly lardy though - it's not 'light' but it's not a fat git either!

I'll get some more pics in the next few days, I've not seen many of these on forums etc so if anyone has any Q's let me know.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's some spec for the money!

Unless the UK is still mad muddy, the SS is a fantastic rear tyre! Keep it :D
It's the UK, apart from 2 weeks in the middle of August it's always muddy :D

Tbh I'll be keeping it on for a little while, going to do some manualling/bunny hop etc practice to get used to the new bike.

Soldato
It's on an angle in that pic so looks worse than it is, 74.5 effective apparently. Also the long seat post effectively makes it slacker.

Sods law has just into full effect... They've got 20% of it right now :(:mad::mad: with the 10% BC discount on top it means it's currently £312 less then I paid, £1332 FML. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom