Mountain Biking

Soldato
Yeh could have bumped into you, no idea. I did speak to a tall guy (jumped to the conclusion you must be tall with your username... :p) who had been queueing for the Canyons and asked if it was you, but it wasn't!
I think it was only the XC bike that wasn't a full SRAM setup and as it was so different to ride to the rest I was too busy concentrating on the handling of the bike and not crashing to think about the brakes and gearing. The Shimano brakes seemed to work well enough but I didn't have any issues with the SRAM setups either, maybe I didn't have the issue you had, or maybe my own Guides are equally in need of a bleed.

I had gear issues on all 3 bikes that I think must have just been down to the mud. Whilst they all started off feeling good and shifting well all 3 bikes were jumping gears, particularly on climbs on the big cogs. That said I was impressed by how little the huge amount of mud on some of the suspension and drivetrain mechanisms seemed to affect the way the bikes rode. Last time I had a bike caked in that much mud it felt like everything was covered in grit and full of resistance.

Soldato
The new Shan 27 Kremer yeah! Loving it so far.

Yeah dude! She's been ridden a fair bit since our meeting at BikePark, she's currently in bits (as in the rear triangle in bits) awaiting new bearings, she's not had them changes since new so well overdue...

Before having the new Shan before Christmas the Aeris was running perfectly.

If you're down this way any time give me a shout! What you riding these days?

Soldato
OK, in the market for a bike soonish. Having not touched a bike or a biking related thread in nearly 2 years, what have I missed?

Boost and metric is a thing apparently (the latter I actually really like the sound of - makes a lot of sense). Long travel slack 69er 29er are a thing - what else? Can I buy a standard xt 11 speed groupset and it will still fit boost and non-boost BBs? (just a matter of spacing stuff out?)

Caporegime
The new Shan 27 Kremer yeah! Loving it so far.

Yeah dude! She's been ridden a fair bit since our meeting at BikePark, she's currently in bits (as in the rear triangle in bits) awaiting new bearings, she's not had them changes since new so well overdue...

Before having the new Shan before Christmas the Aeris was running perfectly.

If you're down this way any time give me a shout! What you riding these days?

Another shan! Sweet.

Luckily (actually not I miss it) my Aeris hasn't been ridden in mud yet at all since I bought it! So my bearings are still pretty good. So still the Aeris, no need for another bike for me.

Yes definitely, BPW is on the list for as soon as I'm back in the UK :)

OK, in the market for a bike soonish. Having not touched a bike or a biking related thread in nearly 2 years, what have I missed?

Boost and metric is a thing apparently (the latter I actually really like the sound of - makes a lot of sense). Long travel slack 69er 29er are a thing - what else? Can I buy a standard xt 11 speed groupset and it will still fit boost and non-boost BBs? (just a matter of spacing stuff out?)

Not sure on the group set, I had to space my XT 11 out because from Factory the cranks are daft and don't align properly. I doubt it actually I had to space mine 1/2mm just to get it to align. But I assume the boost cranks are just spaced even further. 53mm chainline on boost iirc. 48mm(ish) for non boost. On XT anyway, so quite a difference, I doubt there just adjusted with some spacers. If so you'll need 5mm longer bolts...

I'm not sure I care about boost, but finding a bike without one now is quite hard so I doubt you have a choice.

28.99mm BBs (serious), boost, 180mm dropper posts. But realistically not much has changed since you're Reign.

The whole long travel slack 29er thing is real IMO though, I don't care too much about the other standards. I rode a Hightower LT the other week and if you're fairly tall (IIRC your about 6ft?) then they are awesome. I'd definitely try one before going on 650b, a 29er will be my next bike.

WT tyres if they weren't around before? Though I'm still on 2.4/2.3 tyres.

Last edited:
Soldato

It was bad coming back to mountain bikes after 15 years!

Boost - you won't find a new 2018 bike that isn't boost now, RS are making a lot of their forks boost only, so embrace it :D 148 rear and 110 front hub spacing. There is no such thing as a boost bottom bracket, the chainrings/cranksets are what are boost so that's all you'd need to change, but some bikes will run a non-boost crankset on a boost frame.

Boost also gives you more room for tyres, up to 2.8" in 27.5" forks normally.

Everything will be slightly slacker, slightly longer and with a bit steeper seat angle than a few years back. 27.5+ (2.8/3.0" tyres) and semi plus (2.6") are real and they're awesome, so much grip and they roll well too. On a FS bike they're very nice to have, on a 27.5 hardtail I'd say they're awesome.

Soldato
I got ~16 miles in today as well, I however didn't even get a sniff in on your elevation though... That's disgusting! Think I only covered about 900ft climbing in total, but it was awesome riding in the dry, with temps in the teens for a change, sick to the teeth of rain, I love the winter but I'm so ready for summer now.

Soldato
Got the opportunity to demo a T130s from Wednesday-Sunday this week. Will be riding every day and getting in all my usual local rides both natural and trail centres to see how I get on. I then plan to try and demo either a Calibre Bossnut (if the new one gets released soon) or the Jamis Dakar to see how a well rated ~£1k bike feels in comparison. If its noticeably worse to me (I highly doubt it) I'm happy to go for a £2.5k bike but would much prefer to stick to under £1.5k

Associate
I bought a mountain bike a couple of years ago and have hardly used it. I think the thing which puts me off is that it feels absolutely huge. I'm 6'2" with a 34 inch leg and the bike is a 650b 22" frame. Has anyone else had this feeling? when I measured at the time the online sites were saying the size was fine for me.

Soldato
What bike is it? 22" frame is an XL? You're more a Large, borederline big Medium I'd say.

I'm 6ft, 34/36" Leg and ride Large (albeit with 175mm cranks and a 170mm Reverb)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom