New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
New trailer revealed at Comic Con

Looks fantastic, a lot more fun and humour in it. Very Trek as there is mystery and exploration. Not war, although it does seem to be The Search for Spock lol.

Not to mention the space scenes are well lit and brighter.

There are also going to be 4 short 10-15 min episodes released, 1 per month in the lead upto the series starting in early 2019. Short Treks will start in Autumn

Rainn Wilson will return to reprise his role as Harry Mudd in a short he will direct. Aldis Hodge (Hidden Figures, Showtime’s upcoming City on a Hill) will star in another installment as Craft, a man who finds himself the only human on board a deserted ship. Additional episodes will explore Saru’s (Doug Jones) backstory as the first Kelpien to join Starfleet and Tilly’s (Mary Wiseman) journey aboard the USS Discovery and her friendship with an unlikely partner.

We will also be meeting the original number one from The Cage. She will be played by Rebecca Romijn the show.

More details below
https://trekmovie.com/2018/07/20/br...ni-episodes-and-spock-confirmed-for-season-2/

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Okay - some praise (I know :eek:):

1) I like that we're seeing a Saurian for I believe the first time since the all-crew meeting on the Enterprise in The Motion Picture to be briefed on V'ger. And the makeup is way more faithful to the TMP Saurian than the Klingon makeup has been to all the past shows. Halle-*******-lujah.
2) I like how Anson Mount looks and sounds as Pike - like a cross between Jeffrey Hunter and Bruce Greenwood, the two men to have played him in speaking roles on-screen before. A worthy replacement in the show for Jason Issacs' Lorca (before the mirror universe reveal turned him into Generic Moustache-Twirling Evil Dude™).
3) Looks like we finally might be getting some actual characterisation from the other crew members on the Disco. Not before time.

And now, for balance and a return to form:

1) So Spock is away from the Enterprise, and is linked to a mysterious signal from space. I guess Linus the Saurian isn't the only callback to TMP here! Any chance of a truly original plot? No? Okay then :p
2) Still hate the redesigned Enterprise. Actually, still hate the whole starship aesthetic in Discovery.
3) While I'm on the aesthetics - what is with the collars on these uniforms? Looks even worse in the Enterprise uniform colour scheme.

Anyway. If they can dial back on Bonehead's Mary Sue tendencies, and if the writing is - how shall I put this kindly? - a bit less variable in quality, and the showrunners actually have a halfway clear idea about how they want to get from Point A to Point B this time...then maybe, just maybe, this season of Discovery won't suck.

Back
Top Bottom