New Star Trek series - 2017

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Question is - do we expect them to say "hey, we're respecting canon, we didn't mention them by name!" like they did to introduce the Borg and Ferengi in ENT? Or do they carry on with what seems to be their grand effort to not only replace TOS in canon but TNG as well and have Starfleet know all about the Borg about 110 years earlier than previously shown?

Just kidding! There's no question at all, because we all know it'll be the second one :rolleyes:

Soldato
But it's Star Trek and the Borg are part of that universe, so what is the issue with them making an appearance? If the creators make up a race that we have never seen before then there will no doubt be cries about straying from from canon - damned if they do, damned if they don't!

And imo, i love the Borg, the scare the poop out of me - so i am looking forward to seeing how the do this, especially as Discovery is not scared of pushing the line.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
ivrytwr3 - the 'issue' is that the Borg were a complete unknown to the crew of the Enterprise-D in "Q Who?", an episode set in 2365. They were also way off in the Delta quadrant of the galaxy making only very occasional visits out as far as Federation space (they had attacked a series of outposts on the border between the Federation and the Romulans a year prior to "Q Who?" in the TNG season 1 finale "The Neutral Zone") . The only people in the entire Federation at that time who had really collected/collated any information on the Borg were the Hansens (Seven of Nine's parents) - and they were assimilated before being able to return home with the info.

It stretched credibility enough that the NX-01 crew had dealings with them in the 2150s, but you could at least say that it pre-dated a lot of seismic events (the Romulan war, founding of the Federation, Earth's Starfleet forming the core of the new UFP Starfleet...) so maybe the records got lost. And it did tie in somewhat neatly with the events of "Star Trek: First Contact". But STD is 100 years later than that - any race that gets encountered by the USS DiscoBall really shouldn't be such a mystery.

But hey, who knows? Maybe they've hired some actual talented writers for this season rather than complete and utter hacks, so they can figure out a way to show the Borg that makes sense. Stranger things have happened. I can't quite recall what those stranger things are right now, but I'm sure that they must have :D

Soldato
I'd love to see a borg origins story

I wouldn't. I like that their origins are unknown. Something is lost when the origin of an iconic threat is told in a story.

People have this idea in their minds that it will be a great story. What if it sucks?

Not knowing the origin of the Xenomorph in Alien added to the mystery of it. Then Prometheus, and in particular Covenant, came along and ****** all over it.

Some things are best left to imagination.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I wouldn't. I like that their origins are unknown. Something is lost when the origin of an iconic threat is told in a story.

To be fair, as a concept they were already being watered down in their very first appearance.

The whole "We are the Borg. Lower your shields. Resistance is futile" bit. Why? They were much more impressive earlier on in the episode when a single drone shows up, starts scanning and investigating stuff, and utterly ignores the crew. Because the crew were utterly irrelevant. But it was just too hard to write stuff with an enemy that didn't stand around and make threats.

As great as "The Best of Both Worlds" is, it too dilutes down the Borg as a concept and turns them almost into space zombies. But even then, there was mileage to be made out of the idea of the Borg being a hive mind...right up until "First Contact", which gives us the Borg Queen. So instead of being a true hive mind, it's merely one individual controlling a bunch of zombie-fied slaves. Voyager turning them from an implacable nigh-on invulnerable foe to being just another Villain Of The Week™ constantly getting beaten by Janeway and her merry band was just icing on the **** cake.

Caporegime

People have this idea in their minds that it will be a great story. What if it sucks?

Not knowing the origin of the Xenomorph in Alien added to the mystery of it. Then Prometheus, and in particular Covenant, came along and ****** all over it.

Some things are best left to imagination.

Be more interesting to see how the queen came to be, until first contact it was assumed there was no real "leader", then that came out and it put a different spin on the Borg to an extent.

Though Voyager really did take a massive dump on the Borg, turns out that all along the Borg had a transwarp conduit that put them in ******* range of earth and all they could do was occasionally send a single ship through it to see how things went. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Be more interesting to see how the queen came to be, until first contact it was assumed there was no real "leader", then that came out and it put a different spin on the Borg to an extent.

Though Voyager really did take a massive dump on the Borg, turns out that all along the Borg had a transwarp conduit that put them in ******* range of earth and all they could do was occasionally send a single ship through it to see how things went. :rolleyes:

Yeah never understood that bit. In the best of both worlds, a single cube pretty much decimated the federation. Why not just send a couple of cubes through, or another one a week later and finish us off?

It kinda made it sound like the borg spent years traveling to federation space which would have made sense.

Back
Top Bottom