This Business and Moment...

Associate
Can't say enough good things about being able to walk to work. The contrast between 30 hrs driving a week is incredible.

Opposite problem is not driving to work and living in the city centre leads to a lot more boozing.

Soldato
Can't say enough good things about being able to walk to work. The contrast between 30 hrs driving a week is incredible.

Opposite problem is not driving to work and living in the city centre leads to a lot more boozing.

It's incredible, isn't it? I worked from home for a couple of years, and have now had a 5-10 minute walk for almost three years. Not something to overlook when living and working in central London. Even before this, my longest commute going back to 2009 has been a 15 minute tube journey that I did for a few months. We're moving office next week and I'm looking forward to the hour long walk each way, but an impending house move will see my door to door journey probably tip an hour with national rail involved :(

How long is your journey each day?

Associate
20 min walk vs the 45 mile drive each way I used to do.

I used to have a company car and bought a new car when I left- in a year my car has 1700 miles on it, even in situation I would have driven in the past I find I would rather walk.

Caporegime
I'd love to move to a location where I could walk or cycle to work, especially in the lovely Portuguese weather :cool:

However, for me to do that, wifey would need to change jobs. Our job locations are in polar opposite directions to each other. So if we move closer to my work, its less commute for me but more for her, and vice versa.

Man of Honour
With each change of job my commute has gotten longer :(

Currently at around 2 hours a day if I take the bike, 3 if I use the car. One day I'll be close enough to walk...one day.

Soldato
Is it difficult to justify a jump from salary to day rate (contractor) ?

Got an interview for a contract role on Thursday and effectively going from my salary to a much larger day rate (proposed pre interview). As I'm new to such things is it reasonable that risk is considered in day rate? Eg currently salary 40k and new day rate 280+VAT (which equates to 70k ish at 240 days a year )...

Obviously I'll up sell the day rate based on my experience, level of individual autonomy etc.

Any other issues making a limited company at the middle of the tax year?

Soldato
First year of doctoring done
0 deaths caused by me
0 complaints
0 serious untoward incidents

I know they're all coming, but my hands are clean this first year!

Soldato
Not difficult at all and bigger jumps than that aren't exactly uncommon, like from 40, 50k etc... to 500 a day etc...

Ah OK. In engineering I think the day rates are a lot lower generally but I'll stick to that figure and see. Theres a lot of potential expenses (Accountant etc.) Do any contractors in here reccomnend an accountant? my mate sent me "nasa group" referral but I think hes just after the referral bonus :p

Indeed a rule of thumb I've seen is yearly perm salary/100 for the day rate to aim for

Ah ok, I'm a bit under that then!

Soldato
Finally booked my CompTIA A+ 220-901 exam in 2 weeks. Hoping to get the A+ within the next 2 months.
Then will move on to Security+ or Network+, leaning more towards security right now.

Back
Top Bottom