This Business and Moment...

Soldato
OP
Since this is probably the only place I can put this, I shall.

We've been working on the VolAir stuff and trying to work out the best way of doing all our app etc. in the process of doing this, we did a test of everything. If we would mess it up, lets use a test for everything. That test was called GOAT. Then, after some lunch beers we decided to literally test everything... all our smart contracts, our app creation with wallet, the machine learning we're using for plane matching to users etc. which led us to https://goat.cash which in turn has led to https://twitter.com/GotGoatCash and a whole heap of hilariousness.
We have a dApp coming out today that uses AI and machine learning to work out if you're submitting a goat or not, then if it's a unique image, then if it's funny or not, and then assigns it a $GOAT cash value and pays out the to the users. It's so fun. What started as a joke has actually produced something really cool.
iHUZof0.jpg
xSNbq9C.jpg

The mobile app is coming along too, which is the basis of the VolAir app as well, so everything we've learnt has jumped us 10 steps ahead with the main project, while having fun.
If you want some free $GOAT we're giving it away at the moment in telegram https://t.me/gotgoatcash

We're looking at making those cards convertible into collectable ERC721 tokens that you can battle like top trumps just for fun. That and we're building GoatMEX like bitmex but more fun... we shouldn't drink and make decisions tbh :D but first, finish this dApp off and complete the VolAir app and then build some funky goat stuff.

Soldato
(which equates to 70k ish at 240 days a year )...

Apologies for being late but you're not going to be working 240 days a year. Figure on 200 days a year to allow for holidays, sickness, and the like. Remember that you don't get paid when you're not working (unless you can negotiate a retainer). So that's down to £56K. And then there's all the overheads of being a contractor: national insurance, professional indemnity insurance, etc, etc. Are you going to be paid overtime? You might find it's actually a pay cut.

As for forming a limited company, you need to take professional advice to avoid being caught by IR35. If you go for an umbrella company they'll take 5% - 10% off the top.

Yup, at that day rate, I don't think you're going to be making much more money.

Soldato
Good luck, if you are self studying like I am. It can be hard but rewarding once you pass the exam and have an upto date cert on your CV.
Thanks, just watching prof. Messer's videos. Been interested in IT since high school and currently work in a support role. Just thought I might as well have it on paper since work is paying for it.

Soldato
Apologies for being late but you're not going to be working 240 days a year. Figure on 200 days a year to allow for holidays, sickness, and the like. Remember that you don't get paid when you're not working (unless you can negotiate a retainer). So that's down to £56K. And then there's all the overheads of being a contractor: national insurance, professional indemnity insurance, etc, etc. Are you going to be paid overtime? You might find it's actually a pay cut.

As for forming a limited company, you need to take professional advice to avoid being caught by IR35. If you go for an umbrella company they'll take 5% - 10% off the top.

Yup, at that day rate, I don't think you're going to be making much more money.
240 days accounts for 4 weeks holidays?

Thanks for the info. In the end I went for the position full time non contract.

Commissario
Great start to the week, just had a 6 month contract offer through at a higher day rate than the previous offer - more central and easier to get to and working with an ex colleague! Starting 3rd September, looking forward to it!

Commissario
Sorted @Maccy well done dude! Lovely when that happens! Paid properly from the Swedes yet?
Cheers mate!

Yeh they're still a bit slow, I'm actually due a payment today but of course it hasn't come through and when I chased the agency I've heard nothing. Typical, wedding anniversary on Wednesday and I need to be paid otherwise the boss is going to have to put up with KFC for dinner!

Man of Honour
Just been asked if I’d like to run an “Introduction to Automation” training course for a company and its manual testers.

I want to do this right so that potentially I can offer this as a service going forward to other companies. As ultimately, being a speaker and running training courses is where I’d like to go in my consultancy.

Not sure whether to charge them a token amount or do it for nothing just to guarantee they do it and get them as a customer on my website, or actually charge a full price and make some money from it. Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well this is what they are asking, how long I think I’d need to cover everything

I reckon two days would be perfect to cover everything, or a day just to give them the very basics

I’d lose my day rate for the days I took. But it’s for 15 people, and I was looking at charging, £1-200 per person which is a lot lower than most places charge for similar courses. So I’d easily make it back and then some. But if I did it for nothing, I’d be sacrificing my day rate for up to two days, which I can stomach if it meant this could be a regular thing being paid in the future

Commissario
Would people paying for it (or if their company pays for it) need to justify it to their company? Taking 2 days out for training can be costly to a business, but then at the same time you can argue that a day isn't enough to cover all of the content.

I think that price per head isn't too bad, maybe go for the lower end as it's the first time? I wouldn't do it for free as 2 days loss of day rate is a chunk of cash!

Back
Top Bottom