This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Been offered an extension here in Sweden but I really want to head back to the UK. My recruiter has even suggested increasing the day rate but it's still not appealing, cost of living out here is high too. But then it's convenient and secure to have the extension... Ahhhhh!!

If you don't enjoy working somewhere then staying for an increase in money is delaying any future career development. If you pursue good opportunities then the money side of things should take care of itself, whereas hanging around for extra cash means that you're not moving on or progressing.

Associate
Been offered an extension here in Sweden but I really want to head back to the UK. My recruiter has even suggested increasing the day rate but it's still not appealing, cost of living out here is high too. But then it's convenient and secure to have the extension... Ahhhhh!!

Could you take the extension whilst looking for something in the UK? It'd take time to relocate anyway so at least you'd be working until then.

Commissario
Could you take the extension whilst looking for something in the UK? It'd take time to relocate anyway so at least you'd be working until then.
It had been a thought, relocating isn’t really an issue as I’ve still got our house back in the UK - only have clothes out here.
I’ve potentially got something in place for September with an ex colleague which would be a great role, so hopefully that comes up trumps and it’ll be a smooth transition between roles :)

Soldato
I'm six months in this new role after ending our own practice at the end of last year. It's flown past and I honestly love the place. We've just moved into new offices that we've spent a fortune on fitting out (its insane). I've never worked in a place that cares for its employees as much as this place.

Soldato
OP
That's great @LOAM - nice when you find a place like that and the job itself is good too.

Semi updates, or another brain dump either way which helps me more than anyone else :D

Personal: Went to court re. car / license etc. last week. I was fully expecting a 2yr ban and 5k fine. Came away with no further ban (been 3 months so far), and a 600 euro fine. Very lucky with that indeed. I went there and spoke only in French to them and represented myself, so think it was noted that I wasn't Johnny foreigner over here taking the ****. Anyway, relieved, hopefully I can get my car back soon too. Need to wait until I get something in the post I think.
On top of that the wife has her hip replacement scheduled for Monday, so that's great for her and a bit full on coming up for me. I'll have to WFH and be the man to do it all for about 6 weeks, so reckon I'll get shouted at a lot :D I can't wait though, it'll be great to have her mobile properly again.

Contract: Man it's such a dull gig, and the team is useless. Still making me do meetings for the US guys at 5-8pm which messes with my evening/ kids time, so I've put my foot down a bit. They just shelved half the roll out in Basel due to sacking half the West coast office, so that's a bit crap, but hey, still pays me and allows me to work on other things.

Path: We got a bit stale during the summer here, with everyone on holiday etc. I kicked off a little as I went to a crypto event to meet a potential investor/ partner/ advisor and I had done a lot of work for all this and I got told he didn't think the product was in a position for us to work together yet... led me to get annoyed and tell people to pull their **** together as I'm busting my ass and everyone else needs to be pulling the same. We've onboarded another developer and hopefully a new marketing person, too. Partnership discussions STILL ongoing between Badgr and us. With the attorney now and currently cost us about 5k, probably 8-10k by the end. Just so we can get this deal signed and the SEC/ compliance dealing with anyone US based is a ballache. Having said that, we should soon have v1 sorted and with the partnership we should also have a massive scaling potential to millions of users, so that works for me. End of the month is the due date for partnership and more releases.

VolAir: So we secured partnerships, got planes all wrapped up. Built out our backend search and headless CMS for managing partners etc. Now we're building the app out. We've been working on smart contracts and wireframing for the app layouts, so it's kicking off nicely. Eliana is our marketing person and is amazing. Smashes out so much. We are trying to sign off a blockchain dev and a guy to do UX this week as well. There are a couple of cool easter eggs we want to include as well, proper geeky, but with crypto and "moon" being so linked, we want you to be able to book a moon trip using virgin galactic with VolAir too :p I'm talking to one of their team about that at the moment. Aim for that one is keep pushing on MVP, new people, investor outreach.

Emotuit: Our software is now in Arizona State Uni but they wanted some changes to be made to fit their needs, so we've been doing those for them. I need to drop them a note about that actually and show them the changes. I would like to bring on a data scientist, so will be doing some interviews next week for that, as well as some rekindled email marketing campaigns. Also need to speak to Roche about a SOW we need to deliver for them, but they just fired loads of people so probably pushed their priorities slightly.

Other: Due to go to London to chat to the chairman of epoints.com about how I can help them tokenize their model, but due to timelines had to push it and now with my wife's operation, I'll probably do it by phone/ video. Great model they have, and I have some really nice ideas about how I can make this really work.
I have been asked to help out on another project called savenode, so helping them structure the offering and plans there. Will be doing a bit of hands on and advice and see how that develops as time allows.

Seems like small steps forward, but everything I'm happy with and seems more aligned now. There is no quick win, but making sure you cover all the right things and put the best people on it and keep pushing forwards is my plan.

And breathe.

Soldato
OP
Yea, I get it. Fear though is the one thing that holds us back from so much. If you want to do something different, you have to work out what that might be and start trying to work your way towards that. If you change nothing, nothing will change.

Caporegime
Yea, I get it. Fear though is the one thing that holds us back from so much. If you want to do something different, you have to work out what that might be and start trying to work your way towards that. If you change nothing, nothing will change.

True enough.

As I've said before, no idea where I am going. Would like to draw or design for a living, but not sure where you'd start, and most starting wages are terrible

Soldato

Apologies if this is being too nosey @randomshenans but I was curious as to how you afford to pay the staff of your other companies? Have you secured funding for these ventures, putting your hand in your own pocket or are they working toward stock options? Feel free not to answer if you're not comfortable, but I'm fascinated by what you're doing and trying to make sense of the economics of it all!

Soldato
You not thought about an online Wiki that's password protected?

Don't do this on an external server. This would be a major security risk. Just think about what could happen if a criminal got hold of the information. And consider what would happen to you. You'd be fired at the very least and your reputation in your sector would be so bad as to make you unemployable.

Soldato
OP
@toshj not at all nosey! Always happy to answer. Most of this is working for equity/ options as well as paying out myself (ourselves, depending on team) for people. Finding people to work for equity is a pain mind, but when you find some good people, its great.

How are things going with the expansion?

Soldato
@toshj not at all nosey! Always happy to answer. Most of this is working for equity/ options as well as paying out myself (ourselves, depending on team) for people. Finding people to work for equity is a pain mind, but when you find some good people, its great.

How are things going with the expansion?

That's good to hear - was wondering how you were keeping it all going on so many fronts. Another question, if I may: how do those employees on equity/options live day to day, as far as living expenses go? Do you tend to look for staff whose personal situations might allow them to go without a salary for a while, or do they supplement their work for you with jobs elsewhere?

Everything is going well on our front. Looks like we're going to be having a good month or two with regards to our respective pipelines, which is no mean feat during the summer. We move into our new office in a couple of weeks time, and bizarrely going furniture shopping to kit out the space was more fun than it should have been! I have had 9 hours of user and admin training in the last week on the new software we're going to be using which was interesting

The next step is hiring, training and managing people - with everything else going on outside of work (renovating and selling our flat, buying a house, learning to drive (I'm 34 :eek:), etc.) I don't think I'm going to get much free time to myself. I'd rather hire people I know, or know somewhat, rather than fresh grads and have a few mates interested but it's a tough sell indicating that they could earn more total comp and most likely enjoy the working day more... but would have to take a salary cut in the process. The other option is to hire newbs through LinkedIn and recruiters. Not sure which path to go down.

Permabanned
Don't do this on an external server. This would be a major security risk. Just think about what could happen if a criminal got hold of the information. And consider what would happen to you. You'd be fired at the very least and your reputation in your sector would be so bad as to make you unemployable.

Yeh fair point. I understand. Best to keep it internal.

Man of Honour
On a slightly different note - came out of work today in time to see a colleague drive into a tree at not inconsiderable speed while turning into the carpark - wasn't hurt but a bit concerning as I'm 99% sure he got confused and hit the accelerator instead of brakes.

Potentially have a role lined up at the start of September in Croydon, not the best of commutes but could be a long term contract!

Depending on where you are coming from and what transport you are using "not the best of commutes" is a bit of an understatement - I've had days that took like an hour just to get from one side of West Wickham to the other heading towards Croydon at rush hour :s (in more than one case just a few miles turning into a 4 hour commute when its been really bad).

Shouldn't be so bad if you are going in by train though.

Back
Top Bottom