• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll: Will you be buying a 2080Ti/2080/2070?

Which card will you be buying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
The problem is gaming used to be a relatively cheap hobby. But because of Nvidia greed we're having to weigh it up against other things, I'd rather spend a grand on something else and keep my GPU from 2016.

Many others will feel the same. Developers won't bother with things like ray tracing unless the majority of the market has cards capable of running it, it's not worth investing the time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have people coming over helping out, if I cancel to meet an older man from the internet, then, well, you know :p

Could be fun if you go in with the right mindset (and a buttplug pre-installed) :p :D

I will be gentle.... Nah fair one bud and I am in Rotterdam at least 3 times a year, so another time.

Edit:

As for what Born said, I make him right. It is tiresome reading the same dross from the same people and rinse and repeat. I genuinely cringe now when I see the same posts repeated again and again. You have made your point chaps, let it go now, as you clearly won't be changing minds.

Soldato
Definitely not waiting for AMD. Their release is always good for a laugh though.
Maybe they'll spring a surprise, who knows?

@ljt I tend to switch between cheaper and more expensive cards. I used to go top end until recently I found a much cheaper card worked for me just as well. I'll probably be sitting out this gen. I think the new GPU's are good but I think next gen will be better for those who already own 10 series cards. I very much doubt I'll even play a RT game for another 2 years anyway and go through periods where I don't game at all. The new FE cards do look fab IMO.

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Maybe they'll spring a surprise, who knows?

@ljt I tend to switch between cheaper and more expensive cards. I used to go top end until recently I found a much cheaper card worked for me just as well. I'll probably be sitting out this gen. I think the new GPU's are good but I think next gen will be better for those who already own 10 series cards. I very much doubt I'll even play a RT game for another 2 years anyway and go through periods where I don't game at all. The new FE cards do look fab IMO.

Sorry lost the plot after half our posts were deleted lol

Last message I saw was you saying I was speaking like an addict lol. I did reply saying I'm far from one now, but I was certainly one in the past.

I wasnt meaning to be insulting by stating that wanting new and shiny is akin to addiction. I was speaking from personal experience.

You should have heard me after the 10 series launch lol. I was fuming haha. Granted the price increase was down to brexit tanking the pound.

That's where I decided to take a step away and went cold turkey as you put it. Things also happened family wise which meant I also couldn't get much time on the pc to game. It meant I also lost my desire to game as much too.

I now don't have the same desire to play AAA games as they rarely interest me any more. In fact I find it difficult to get into any game recently. Coupled with the fact my current card (980Ti) plays everything perfectly fine means no interest in the new cards so I can view them objectively.

Associate
As a lover of hardware I want a 2080ti... but without flogging a dead horse, I just can’t justify that price. And like above, I have a 980 and it doesn’t struggle, and coupled with the pricing I didn’t see a need for a 1070 for example as I’m still at 1080p. So why would I myself need a 2080 or even ti? It’s that itch to upgrade and the want rather than need and probably the rose tinted glasses from yesteryear and the excitement of new cards etc

Maybe we need a new mindset, maybe because we don’t see the generational leaps we used to prices are going this way to offset the fact? For eg I remember going from 6800gt to 7950gt I think it was and then onto 8800gt and each came with a huge jump for the time. Yes the flagships and top tier of old were in a lower price point but that doesn’t mean the 2070 isn’t a great gaming card right?

But what kind of performance will the 2070 bring as that’s more in line with what I would be willing to pay. Coming from a 980?

Makes me wonder why they appear to not of shown benchmarks?

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem is gaming used to be a relatively cheap hobby. But because of Nvidia greed we're having to weigh it up against other things, I'd rather spend a grand on something else and keep my GPU from 2016.

Many others will feel the same. Developers won't bother with things like ray tracing unless the majority of the market has cards capable of running it, it's not worth investing the time.
PC gaming is a cheap hobby if you stick to 1080p and don't insist on running everything on ultra.

It's all a matter of what you want our of your PC gaming experience.

Soldato
My company will be placing orders for 10 2080 Ti's (initially one for testing, then an extra 9). Sadly I won't be able to game on them, they're going to be used for machine learning.

We currently have Titan XPs.

Back
Top Bottom