• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
<...>

Sure they may have a rushed response in the works but they are STILL stuck on 10nm so they won't have that manufacturing advantage that they've had for ages. It's very good to see AMD able to fight on equal terms after a very rough period the last 5-10 years.

Please do not underestimate Intels 10nm. One of the reasons it failed (besides use of cobalt) was that it was very optimistic. Original 10nm (which have been cancelled) with technical specs was as good or even better than 7nm of other foundries.
In my opinion, Intel will have some cut down version of 10nm, which if its not too late will kick some arse. That is if by that time AMD doesn't move to EUV.

The strategy does make a lot of sense. The money is in volume sales in the mainstream. AMD can't compete at the very high end so no halo product. Instead they develop an efficient cheap to manufacture design and gain mindshare by selling affordable volume product that will have more than enough power for the average consumer.

I'd buy both the CPUs and GPUs because they are/will be/may be affordable and they will drive 1440p easily. It's easy to forget on these forums most people consider £250 expensive for any PC part.

If AMD come close to this performance/price ratio they will sell them by the boat load. There are a lot of us still on 5-8 year old hardware waiting for the right moment to jump back in.

Edit: typo

AMD is wooping intel around with their EPYC and Threadripper CPUs.

Thats reason I went 32 inch 4k ips pro screen on black friday no freesync nogsync NO PROBLEM . dont play onlune shooters anyway. Shiet not played anything besides kingdom come since iw gotten the monitor hehehe
I'm not saying what you should have or not have done, but there is no going back when you try freesync or g-sync. Both are amazing techs, and feast for the eyes. I have got 32inch 1440p freesync 2 monitor and would never go back to normal monitor, ever. Just too bad that nvidia is trying to play hardball with their greedy proprietary implementation :( Hopefully Intel will push the balance of freesync to dominance, and g-sync can go away with its overpriced addons

Soldato
AMD have 3 years or so to take advantage of the mess Intel created for themselves.
Lisa seems to know what she is doing with her team.
Fired Raja due to him didn't want to do what the team did.
good call.

You talk about less than 10% of gamers.
80% or so still want to buy price/performance.
Freesync, navi 250$ (1080/Vega performance) and a 4.5/5ghz Ryzen 8core for 160/300euro?
Its a reason ryzen outsells amd in germany 2 to 1.

Its going to be a absolute bloodbath for Intel next year and Nvidia which btw still sits on a loads of cards with previous gen unsold wont have it easy.
AMD can really disrupt things 2019.

It's looking that way. From how it seems AMD will take the low end add in card market with APU's, push Nvidia out of the mainstream graphics segment and into ever increasing niches while leaving Intel in the dust until they get 5nm off the ground. The problem I see for Intel is how much influence AMD will have over the comming 5 years.

Soldato
Gigabyte Gaming 7 has the worse VRM of all the "top" X470 boards. Is good for 2700X but I doubt would be able to handle 3800X/3850X
MSI X470 M7 has the best VRMs btw. And is the board that had the marketing line "designed for 8 core and higher" and when everyone started speculating what they mean "and higher" MSI retracted the statement.

Yeah, what is this Core Boost / DDR4 Boost nonsense on my MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC..

I saw some discussion about this a while back with no real explanation.

xjmZYRT.png

Soldato
With regards to pricing. People forget that if we leave the EU with no deal (likely because of petulant childish mp's). We can expect the £ to tank. $500 CPU will probably cost £800.

Soldato
With regards to pricing. People forget that if we leave the EU with no deal (likely because of petulant childish mp's). We can expect the £ to tank. $500 CPU will probably cost £800.

Just today they had somebody on Sky News say this will be unlikely to happen as they're 'ready' for it this time around.

They had better be right.

Associate
Yeah, what is this Core Boost / DDR4 Boost nonsense on my MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC..

I saw some discussion about this a while back with no real explanation.

xjmZYRT.png

I dont know about other discussions, but these are just marketing fluff. Core boost obviously is turbo boost, and ddr4 boost is ddr4 overclocking, which as we know is by default true with us enthusiasts, as Jedec standards are way lower than what we run our memory at ;)

Soldato
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC is at the low end mate.
M7 is completely different board.

So stop comparing apples & oranges.

LoL.. tell that to Buildzoid, guess you didnt see his video about the Carbon.. only downside is no offset voltages.

Btw, i wasnt comparing anything so i duno where you got that from.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Well.. There goes my immediate plans for buying a new pc with then zen+ chips :p
Definitely worth waiting for the 3rd gen Ryzen chips, they seem monstrous. Bopefully the 3600X can be used on the B450 and a 650w psu

Soldato
OP
From some basic calculation and some extrapolation, the top end X470 boards should handle a 16core cpu no problem even overclocked, the Crosshair VII hero, Taichi and Aorus gaming 7 are all fine for such a chip if it ever shows up.

It kinda makes sense why we see overkill VRM design on these boards.

Last I heard, RyZen 9 series CPU's the 16 core 32 thread CPU's will require an X570 board

All other RyZen's will run fine in current boards, so RyZen 7 12 core 24 thread and downwards.

Pretty sure that was also in AdoredTV's video.

Soldato
Last I heard, RyZen 9 series CPU's the 16 core 32 thread CPU's will require an X570 board

All other RyZen's will run fine in current boards, so RyZen 7 12 core 24 thread and downwards.

Pretty sure that was also in AdoredTV's video.

I think I recall him saying that the Ryzen 9's might require a new chipset to use all cores. I don't think it was do with power but rather something to do with memory. I could be wrong, though.

Soldato
Quick question, would the Asus Rog Strix 470-F gaming be a good board to go for nopw, with the intention of upgrading to zen 2 later on? I thought Asus were the bees knees for mobos, but have seen a few worrying comments on youtube about this board not having great vrm or something?

This is really interesting to have some competition for Intel. Although one positive thing about the last 4 years or so is that old hardware has lasted longer and when you do come to sell it, it goes for almost what you paid for it. I remember being disappointed when i came to sell the parts of my first pc as after 3 years they were near enough worthless. But that was when we moved from single core to dual/quad core.

Soldato
OP
Quick question, would the Asus Rog Strix 470-F gaming be a good board to go for nopw, with the intention of upgrading to zen 2 later on? I thought Asus were the bees knees for mobos, but have seen a few worrying comments on youtube about this board not having great vrm or something?

This is really interesting to have some competition for Intel. Although one positive thing about the last 4 years or so is that old hardware has lasted longer and when you do come to sell it, it goes for almost what you paid for it. I remember being disappointed when i came to sell the parts of my first pc as after 3 years they were near enough worthless. But that was when we moved from single core to dual/quad core.

All i'll say is fast forward to 11.49 on the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN1mbDUpJDw

Soldato
Bopefully the 3600X can be used on the B450 and a 650w psu
It certainly won't be more demanding than what Intel's "95W TDP" 9900K is under full load when BIOS won't stand on emergency brake/cooling can keep temps under control...
But there's major variation in VRM quality of B450 boards.
With some having pretty worthless POS VRMs properly fit only for 65W TDP CPUs.

X470-F has one of the strongest VRMs only step behind top.
It's B450 Strix which has scam level garbage VRM.

Associate
Then I hope this proves to be true when Ryzen 3000 and Navi launch.

The number of sales in high end vs low and mid range is like 80 to 20%.
80-90% of all the gpu sold are below 300$.
The world market is a bit different due to many wont buy high end as its soon replaced anyhow.
2080ti now replaced by rtx titan making it look old.

I don't buy super high end either due to the value it offers fails fast.
I make a run down what I play and do and AMD covers all my needs.
Never been a fan buying overpriced hardware from anyone.

Back
Top Bottom