My pics

Soldato
OP
Please appreciate and understand that right now....I hate you :p

:p

Had a tough couple of days, decided to go to Mono Lake yesterday, but the snow was incredible - almost a foot deep in places, only just managed to make it there in a Jeep Wrangler with snow chains, unfortunately the light was almost non-existent, so resorted to the Lee 10 stopper and as stronger composition as possible to make something that worked, hard going in those conditions though.

ynFChDQ.jpg

Today I was back in Death Valley again, I've always wanted to photograph the mud flats, however they're very hard to find and generally kept secret - there are a few locations for these in Death Valley, however after hammering various photography boards, books and google earth - I finally found them. Totally awesome place, it's like walking around on a gigantic jigsaw puzzle.

ybV0vhN.jpg

Soldato
OP
I can't actually imagine what those mud flats are like in person despite the great photo.

Yeah, it's a really weird environment - it's like walking on a massive jigsaw puzzle, all of the 'bits' are basically like thick paving slabs, and they wobble around when you walk on them, the gaps in the photo about are 3-4 inches wide.

Here's a 'behind the scenes shot'

qCIGVA9.jpg

Associate
Yeah, it's a really weird environment - it's like walking on a massive jigsaw puzzle, all of the 'bits' are basically like thick paving slabs, and they wobble around when you walk on them, the gaps in the photo about are 3-4 inches wide.

Here's a 'behind the scenes shot'

qCIGVA9.jpg
Fantastic location! I am going to California on May 4th and was wanting to shoot this place, any chance that you could pm the Google map location please?

Soldato
OP
Fantastic location! I am going to California on May 4th and was wanting to shoot this place, any chance that you could pm the Google map location please?

Sure, send me a message via trust and i'll let you know, all I ask is you don't post it anywhere publicly, as it's very fragile and it'll end up being wrecked by hoards of selfie takers. :)

Soldato
OP
Went for a drive up to Big Sur park on the west coast today, doing some more exploring tomorrow, Pfeiffer beach was nice, a little bit rammed but fun nontheless, not the best I ever took - stood with about 10 other photographers lol, my worst possible scenario :D

JHKiiFE.jpg

Soldato
OP
Up in Bryce Canyon at the moment, lots of snow and hardly any people at all - it's incredible in the snow, went show shoeing too, incredible place.

TSG53sH.jpg

wPZbPbN.jpg

Last edited:

olv

olv

Soldato
I'm continually impressed by your dedication to get out to these places, nice work. Stunning location. Something about the sharpening in these most recent two looks off, the detail is there but they look a bit strange, over sharpened perhaps compared to usual? Not sure, might just be my eyes!

Soldato
OP
I'm continually impressed by your dedication to get out to these places, nice work. Stunning location. Something about the sharpening in these most recent two looks off, the detail is there but they look a bit strange, over sharpened perhaps compared to usual? Not sure, might just be my eyes!

No it's not your eyes, I was thinking the same thing last night but you're right and I actually can't figure it out lol.

Initially I had the resize image setting set incorrectly, however I've fixed that (to automatic) for some reason the images look perfectly fine in photoshop - but in Chrome they look weird and low quality.. Chrome does something weird, where it displays the image differently, as though it's enlarging it - as it's literally twice the size in chrome as it is in photoshop.. How different apps display images differently is something that I've never really understood.

I had another go at processing them, they're a bit better but still not perfect, to be brutally honest - I've never really been happy resizing down from 8k to 1k resolution - it's very difficult to keep the detail and resize..

Resize workflow is simply this;

Initial sharpen - (unsharp mark 30-40%)
Resize down to 1024px
Again resharpen (25%)

Soldato
OP
One from Lake Powell tonight, from around Alstrom point, nice evening overall - sat eating trail mix and listening to the prodigy (RIP Keith) whilst watching the sunset over Gunsight Butte (in the background) and Navajo mountain right at the back.

RhxtWut.jpg

Back
Top Bottom