My pics

Soldato
That makes a lot of sense. If it was your job and earned its keep then the Phase One gear signs hard to beat. However for getting around the FF Sony seems a lot more practical.

Any reason you went for Sony over the other options. Weight isn't really an issue and cost didn't seem to be so do you think the A7RIII is giving you the best images you can get with FF?

Soldato
OP
That makes a lot of sense. If it was your job and earned its keep then the Phase One gear signs hard to beat. However for getting around the FF Sony seems a lot more practical.

Any reason you went for Sony over the other options. Weight isn't really an issue and cost didn't seem to be so do you think the A7RIII is giving you the best images you can get with FF?

The main reason I went for the A7Riii is actually the Sony 16-35GM lens, as far as I can tell it's the best DSLR wide-angle lens money can buy right now, the New Canon 16-35 is almost as good - but I think Sony sensors are a lot better than Canon right now - especially for DR. I almost went for a D850, but I thought most of the wide-angle lenses were pretty poor in comparison. I think Sony's new lenses are first class.

I only do landscapes with this kit, literally only landscapes - nothing else, mostly iso 50 and manual focus with live-view... If I was shooting other things like sports, wildlife or whatever - I'd have gone for Nikon,

Soldato
The main reason I went for the A7Riii is actually the Sony 16-35GM lens, as far as I can tell it's the best DSLR wide-angle lens money can buy right now, the New Canon 16-35 is almost as good - but I think Sony sensors are a lot better than Canon right now - especially for DR. I almost went for a D850, but I thought most of the wide-angle lenses were pretty poor in comparison. I think Sony's new lenses are first class.

I only do landscapes with this kit, literally only landscapes - nothing else, mostly iso 50 and manual focus with live-view... If I was shooting other things like sports, wildlife or whatever - I'd have gone for Nikon,

That's very interesting. I wasn't sure what wide angle to get for my D7200 with fairly tight budget. In the end I went for the Tokina 11-20mm as the pictures I could find online looked pretty good.

I've heard the Sony glass is very good. Hopefully it had lit a fire under Nikon and Canon and we'll see some real innovation from the three of them.

I just need to decide on what filters to get for landscapes. I was thinking B+W ND +3, +6 and +10 with a graduated ND too?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That's very interesting. I want sure what wide angle to get for my D7200 with fairly tight budget. In the end I went for the Tokina 11-20mm as the pictures I could find online looked pretty good.

I've heard the Sony glass is very good. Hopefully it had lit a fire under Nikon and Canon and we'll see some real innovation from the three of them.

I just need to decide on what filters to get for landscapes. I was thinking B+W ND +3, +6 and +10 with a graduated ND too?

The filter I use most often is a Lee 0.9 hard grad, I use it wherever I can - however sometimes it's better than blend than use grad filters, (because filters will darken anything that extends into the sky) so I tend to bracket and blend some images, whilst use filters for others, the other filter I use is a Lee 6 stopper for blurring the sky,

I'd say start with the +6 ND, and for a hard grad I'd start at 3 stops, (which is 0.9) and go from there :)

Soldato
Fantastic discussion :)

You've made me really consider a landscape camera at some point, like the Sony. Its what I shoot 90% of the time.

My problem is I like to try everything! Good advice from Screeeech on filters. I'll have a look at getting some. Definitely got my eye on a FF mirrorless once there's a bit more choice out there for landscape and portraits.

olv

olv

Soldato
There are a couple of comparisons on youtube of people comparing MF Technical to FF, unfortunately most of them don't really know what they're doing and just end up with similar images. MF Technical is very hard to use, harder than 5x4 film because with a digital back - the tolerances for focus and sharpness are so tiny - if anything is slightly off in terms of the setup, focus, or movements - the image won't be as good as it can be. You have to be a real technician to get the best out of them - it takes a lot of practice.

With Rodenstock Digaron lenses - there is literally no way you can physically get a sharper image, some of those lenses are actually used by planes for aerial photography and reconnaissance - because the MTF charts are so good - they're sharp corner to corner, and I mean seriously sharp.

Regarding sensors, the newer CMOS backs have now overtaken the older style CCD backs, however some people (including myself) feel that some of the CMOS backs make images look a little too smooth - the CCD backs had a tendency to give images a really nice organic look - again, like film it's hard to explain, the old (10 years?) Phase One P65+ is a good example of that - that back takes really really nice images, sure it's dynamic range sucks compared to an A7Riii, or Nikon D850. However - if you're a good photographer and understand how to use cameras and actual photography, rather than someone who's only interested in reading the specifications and buying the newest tech, I can guarantee that if you use an old P65+ you'll be very happy with the images it puts out, they have real depth.

The reasons I sold my Phase one kit were;
  • It was insanely heavy, I'm very fit and strong - but my whole pack ended up weighing nearly 40-50lb (just camera gear) and it ends up being prohibitive - (I can't carry anything else, like tents or camping kit)
  • The insurance cost almost the same as my car
  • It was so expensive that I became terrified of it, a few times I almost knocked it over...
  • The A7Riii is 85% as good and 1/4th the weight, I can fit my whole system into the bottom of a rucksack and go trekking with it
  • Lenses cost between £3000-10000 so making changes to the system is very difficult....

Enjoying your insight, thanks. It’s funny, when you first started sharing images from the Sony, they did not have the same look as your previous shots. It’s not that they looked more digital, but that organic look of the phase one you talk about. Maybe that’s it?

But now there doesn’t seem to be as noticeable a difference, the recent images could be MF if I didn’t know.

Caporegime
Enjoying your insight, thanks. It’s funny, when you first started sharing images from the Sony, they did not have the same look as your previous shots. It’s not that they looked more digital, but that organic look of the phase one you talk about. Maybe that’s it?

But now there doesn’t seem to be as noticeable a difference, the recent images could be MF if I didn’t know.

The best way I could describe it is with the old images it’s like I’m looking through a window, with the Sony I know I’m looking at a photo.

There is this intangible difference and that’s the best way I can put it.

Caporegime
Screeeech - any chance of some more "behind the scenes" shots next time? I always enjoy those. Both taking those and seeing them.

On a side note I went back and looked through some of the previous pages...the images in these...wow...really inspirational...REALLY so, for me at least anyway.

I hope my landscape photos are at least half as good as yours one day :)

Soldato
OP

I think some of that might be down to the way I process images, I do everything manually - so things might differ from shot to shot, I don't have any scripts or macros in photoshop or C1, so I process every shot as a one off, I also think my processing has improved a bit recently so maybe that explains why some of them look more familiar,

In the end, both systems churn out really nice images, so I guess some of it could be placebo! who knows :D

Screeeech - any chance of some more "behind the scenes" shots next time? I always enjoy those. Both taking those and seeing them.

On a side note I went back and looked through some of the previous pages...the images in these...wow...really inspirational...REALLY so, for me at least anyway.

I hope my landscape photos are at least half as good as yours one day :)

Thanks for the kind comments! I did find a behind the scenes shot I did last year when I was in Scotland, on "Sgurr an Fhidhleir" (the fiddler) with the Phase one technical kit;

alrYIBB.jpg

4evncTZ.jpg

Caporegime
Another breathtaking image, and thanks for the behind the scenes :D

So remind me, you have the Phase 1 Technical stuff still? Or just the Sony now?

When you plan these trips, do you just research an area then go for a hike and see what you find? How much planning goes into these in advance?

Soldato
OP
I sold the Phase One a few months back, I outlined the reasons a few posts back, TLDR; too big, too heavy, too risky, too expensive to insure - the Sony is 85-90% as good... for 1/4th the cost..

My approach can vary, but it goes something like this;

• Before I go to a location, make sure it's worth going - check things like sunrise/sunset direction, different locations are better at different times of the year - a good example being somewhere like Durdle Door, which due to the sun - is best around Christmas time, and not so great in the summer.. (along with most of the south coast) (because the sun sets and rises behind you)
  • I use Suncalc.net a lot, so I can have a general idea of what to expect in terms of light
  • I do a lot of driving, usually with minimal reservations with things like hotels - I like to keep as mobile as possible and sometimes change my mind at the last minute, usually depending on the weather, I hate being locked into a specific thing, because of a reservation or something,
  • In terms of research, it's easy to find example shots of a location I'm thinking of, but I try to keep away from copying other people - all too often people just put their tripod in the same three holes as the million people who came before. I'll usually get a few examples from general google images searches etc, but try to do my own thing when I get there.
  • The biggest thing I've learnt over the years is how to read the weather, specifically clouds - what types look good, and how they react to sunrise/sunset, I got burned a few times thinking that the sunset sucked, only as I'm driving off to be blown away by a nuclear-fire sky - because I made a bad call... So i've learnt through trial and error to know when it's likely to be worth hanging around, or whether it's going to be a waste of time :D
  • I also do a lot more hiking and camping these days, it's amazing the opportunities you can find if you go and scout out your own shots, as opposed to shooting from the road or from a viewpoint,

Caporegime
Screeeeeeech! :D I have some more questions for you if you don't mind? :D

I've been watching a LOT of Thomas Heaton lately. It's got me obsessing over landscaping photography and combining it with hiking & camping. One main thing though, which bag do you take for say a 1-night trip? What do you pack? would you mind making a list of some description? I am assuming its a hiking backpack of sorts with camping gear plus a camera gear packing cube to keep you body and lenses safe then tripod strapped to the outside? :)

If you fancy at some stage would definitely be up for joining you on a weekend of camping hiking and shooting at some stage :)

Soldato
OP
Screeeeeeech! :D I have some more questions for you if you don't mind? :D

I've been watching a LOT of Thomas Heaton lately. It's got me obsessing over landscaping photography and combining it with hiking & camping. One main thing though, which bag do you take for say a 1-night trip? What do you pack? would you mind making a list of some description? I am assuming its a hiking backpack of sorts with camping gear plus a camera gear packing cube to keep you body and lenses safe then tripod strapped to the outside? :)

If you fancy at some stage would definitely be up for joining you on a weekend of camping hiking and shooting at some stage :)

I don't really rate camera backpacks, you end up with a great big rucksack full of camera kit and no room for anything else. Because I'm shooting only landscapes - I only carry a single lens (16-35 GM) and have it attached to the body permanently, it's very small.

When I was last in Inverness I lucked out, and got one of those super posh Billingham bags (should have been like £250) from Ffordes for like £120, unused - still had the label on it, so I keep my body, wireless release and a Lee wide filter adapter in it. That just goes into the bottom of a medium sized patagonia rucksack, or a very large hiking rucksack if I'm camping, along with my filters which I keep in a large Lee holder (I have lots of them)

My Tripod I actually carry over my shoulder in a Manfrotto Tripod bag which was a godsend, my Tripod (Gitzo 2500 series) is a bit big to be attached to the rucksack, so it's easier slinging it over my shoulder.

As for camping, I go out with the following on a hike; (I mostly do this in the US)

• 1 man tent,
  • Down sleeping bag (super expensive, but makes life 10x easier, as it compresses down very small and is insanely warm)
  • Inflatable mat (again, these are expensive - but they pack down so small, again makes life easier)
  • Propane stove, with the smallest fuel canister size
  • Couple of litres of water
  • For food I usually take re-hydratable food (mountain house, etc) they weigh nothing when carrying and taste pretty good! (put boiling water into them, kinda like a pot noodle but full meals)
  • First aid kit - I have a small one
  • Compass along with a map of the area, I also set google maps to download the offline area - it's pretty handy
  • In terms of clothing, I wear either a Paramo jacket with no baselayer, of if it's the middle of summer - just a lightweight goretex rain jacket
As for going out sometime yeah, sounds good - I'm going on a non-photographic holiday to Scotland in a few weeks for a few days, but aside from that - the fall and winter in Scotland is one of my favourite times so I'll probably be heading up there a lot over the next 6 months (Wester ross, Trotternish, Durness, etc), I have a Ford Ranger 4x4, with the right tyres I can go literally anywhere even in snow :D add me on facebook if you like, send me a trust if you need my details :)

Soldato
OP
Went away for Christmas to the Isle of Skye, staying in a cottage in Staffin which is nice, I went up the old man of storr this morning - really dull start, stood right at the back about 10 other photographers there at 7-8am. It looked like it was going to suck and most people packed up and left, however there was a hole in the cloud I'd been watching like a hawk - which was set to line-up with the rising sun, for about 2 minutes the whole place was bathed in bright orange beautiful Scottish light. Furtherdown I could see people running around trying to set back up again - but by the time it did, it was back in the clouds again.. If there's one thing I've learnt - NEVER pack up until you're sure it's going to be a written off morning :D

Edit - changed the image, wasn't happy with the initial processing (that bottle of Botanist Gin I got from Portree is making processing a little tougher than normal :p )

VfPKFNT.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ah, beautiful. Lovely way to finish your photography for the year (although I suspect that there might be a few more given that location!)

Cheers! Yeah - is a nice way to end the year, I might have a go at the Quirang in the morning - we hiked the full loop of it earlier which was nice, found a tree that's screaming to be photographed... Failing that - I might take a trip down to Elgol or the usual places, I'm with my partner so photography has to take second place on this trip!

Soldato
It is so beautiful up there. We rode our motorbikes as far up as we could earlier this year. Ended up trying a few too many different whiskeys in Sligachan that night... Still managed to ride out the next day though!

DyGaB7f.jpg

Soldato
OP
Went for a hike up the Quirang on Skye yesterday morning, was a nice morning albeit a little too clear for me - but still nice nonetheless.

Weather is going to be awful the next few days, so I might have a go at some gloom shots, I have a few ideas for some jetties nearby, might try to 10 minute exposures.

Yesterday's Quirang shot, A7riii double exposure blend,

FiLa5Cg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom