Dashcams!

Soldato
Looking to get dash cam for my Mrs, after doing a bit of research have almost decided to pull trigger on one linked above. Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with it, seems to have very good reviews on YouTube.
the form factor of that and spec seems very similar (edit spookily - forgot her word) to one I had specced out, from reviews
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H9WPY3Y/
£100 delta for a 24month warranty ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Seeing more and more dashcams with bright LED lights on, presuming it is to aid night vision recording, not as I can see how that can work behind glass.

Mine both have much dimmer blue LED's on - the nightvision on mine is excellent, certainly from the footage I've watched back, really don't know how well a lot of these cameras do at night.
I'm assuming that is one area the £30 camera as opposed to the £100 camera isn't as strong.

Soldato
I recently fitted the Viofo A129 dual camera set up to C4 Grand Picasso with the hard wire kit, apart from the wire running down the middle of the windscreen and by the passenger a pillar i managed to hide all the others, wired it in so it's always recording and Wifi on also so i can access it from my phone, the quality is fantastic too.

Soldato
It's why I went for the discrete and display-less thinkware. I can't stand a big glowing LCD display there in the middle of my windscreen and it irks me when you see drivers not turning off the screen when they're mobile.

Soldato
It's why I went for the discrete and display-less thinkware. I can't stand a big glowing LCD display there in the middle of my windscreen and it irks me when you see drivers not turning off the screen when they're mobile.

From my experience it tends to be the cheaper end dashcams that don't turn the screen off.

I've got a nextbase one and the screen turns off after booting up. Doesn't light up if I hit the save button either.

Soldato
I recently fitted the Viofo A129 dual camera set up to C4 Grand Picasso with the hard wire kit, apart from the wire running down the middle of the windscreen and by the passenger a pillar i managed to hide all the others, wired it in so it's always recording and Wifi on also so i can access it from my phone, the quality is fantastic too.
I'm a quiet fan of Viofo. I bought a A119 Pro last year and it's been rock solid. All through the scorching summer and the latest cold snap and it's never missed a beat. I like the wedge shape as its compact and discrete. Even though it has a screen it can be adjusted to switch off automatically via the software.

Soldato
I'm a quiet fan of Viofo. I bought a A119 Pro last year and it's been rock solid. All through the scorching summer and the latest cold snap and it's never missed a beat. I like the wedge shape as its compact and discrete. Even though it has a screen it can be adjusted to switch off automatically via the software.

It's a really well made camera, first one I've had as the others have only been cheapo ones, will see how it copes when it's sunny again and decide if I get the polarising filter or not.

Becuse the back window is tinted you can't see the rearrear ca from outside which is nice.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a really well made camera, first one I've had as the others have only been cheapo ones, will see how it copes when it's sunny again and decide if I get the polarising filter or not.

Becuse the back window is tinted you can't see the rearrear ca from outside which is nice.

I bought a polarizing filter, but have to say I couldn't see a great deal of difference in the images, with or without.

Soldato
So my car has been keyed rather badly down the passenger side and I'm looking at getting a dash cam with parking protection so that it records when motion is detected around the car.

As a novice I am unsure what to buy or if these dash cams are even any good for being able to see the sides of the car etc? What should I be looking for?

Unfortunately traditional CCTV is no good, as I have to park on the street and can't always guarantee I will get a spot outside my house.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom