Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Its a business plan (installed at home), and yes its different hardware. Hitron router (which I clicked over to modem only mode straight away)

I'm on the Voom 3 Plus plan so have the same Hitron router. Does your static IP address still work correctly when you put it in modem mode? Also what router did you replace it with?

Associate
You can't use modem mode and Static IP address at the same time - its a known limitation over how Virgin provide the static service (via GRE tunnels).

You'll need either the multi static option (no additional cost for upto 5 addresses, your Hitron will take the first address and your own router any of the other four) or move to the Dynamic IP service for modem mode

Soldato
You can't use modem mode and Static IP address at the same time - its a known limitation over how Virgin provide the static service (via GRE tunnels).

You'll need either the multi static option (no additional cost for upto 5 addresses, your Hitron will take the first address and your own router any of the other four) or move to the Dynamic IP service for modem mode

I see. Thank you for the information. I'm not unhappy with the Hitron router. It is certainly better than the old SH3 I used to have before I moved over to a business plan. I'll have a think about whether I really need 5 static IP addresses. I was kinda hoping that at some point Virgin Media would enable IPv6 which seems like an odd omission for business class broadband especially if you are in the tech sector like me.

Edit: Misread your post. You said "up to" 5 static IP addresses.

Soldato
Coming to the end of my initial 12 month deal with £8 off for 200mb paying £38 p/m.

Quite happy with the service but has anyone had any luck with renegotiation after the first year?

Soldato
Coming to the end of my initial 12 month deal with £8 off for 200mb paying £38 p/m.

Quite happy with the service but has anyone had any luck with renegotiation after the first year?

To get the best deal, you need to start your 30 day notice to leave. They usually call you within a week or two with a much better offer than you'd get if you just phone up and ask. You can cancel your 30 day notice at any point, so you don't have to worry about losing your connection.

Associate
Currently with Sky Fibre Unlimited, and thinking of jumping ship to Virgin. Paying £27 monthly under contract currently. Has anyone made the switch? Is there any throttling with virgin? How is speed and stability? Would be great if it's a similar service, yet a few £ cheaper per month.

Soldato
Currently with Sky Fibre Unlimited, and thinking of jumping ship to Virgin. Paying £27 monthly under contract currently. Has anyone made the switch? Is there any throttling with virgin? How is speed and stability? Would be great if it's a similar service, yet a few £ cheaper per month.
Reliability and speed is really down to your area, I am in Earlsfield and on the 200mb and its solid. No problems at all.

I pay £27 for 200mb, I am on a 'recommend a friend' deal.

Soldato
I'm on the Voom 3 Plus plan so have the same Hitron router. Does your static IP address still work correctly when you put it in modem mode? Also what router did you replace it with?

We dont use static IP's, dont have a need.
Havent 'replaced' it, its in modem mode so is simply sitting between the outside world and our home network. Router we use is an Asus rt-ac68u, PIHOLE, NAS and a couple of switches and an asus rt-ac51u in the garage (opposite corner of the property) to provide more wireless coverage.
Works really well, very happy so far.

Soldato

There's no throttling on the VIVID packages, but speed and reliability is very much dependant on your area. I moved across the city a few years back, on the other side I'd drop to 2Mbit during peak hours and the connection would cut out periodically. On this side, it sits at 390Mbit 24/7 and we get around 1 drop out every year or two, usually fixed within a few hours.

Try searching the first half of your post code on their forum, see if there's any complaints and/or contact Virgin and find out your area code and use that in the search.

Soldato
You can run flat Ethernet cables under the carpet along the edges of rooms, doesn't take long to do.
My 2 living rooms I pre wired so have ethernet points in those 2rooms housing my server and pc.

My wife can sit in the bedroom in the room above the current router with her laptop and have incredibly inconsistent WiFi. Was hoping a router better than the hub 3 would cure the issue .

Associate
My 2 living rooms I pre wired so have ethernet points in those 2rooms housing my server and pc.

My wife can sit in the bedroom in the room above the current router with her laptop and have incredibly inconsistent WiFi. Was hoping a router better than the hub 3 would cure the issue .

Had a similar issue with an upstairs bedroom, went through multiple routers trying to get a more stable signal, only solution I found was power plugs and then under carpet Ethernet with another wifi access point in that room. Might of been the aluminium foil wall insulation interfering...

Soldato
Had a similar issue with an upstairs bedroom, went through multiple routers trying to get a more stable signal, only solution I found was power plugs and then under carpet Ethernet with another wifi access point in that room. Might of been the aluminium foil wall insulation interfering...
That's the other option I've considered. Home plugs with an access point or 2 bottled around. Which access point did you go for?

Back
Top Bottom