1.4K desktop build (tower no perennials)

Soldato
Well there is no issues it's perfectly working, just the part about upgrading to Zen 2 and better GPU one day
yep, totally missed that post (i'm playing wii golf on an emulator with my son - it's god-awful - and decided to answer your post in between shots. Bad idea.)

So it's this for £900?
Nvidia geforce aorus 1080ti oc 11gb
GSkills Trident 16gb rgb 3200mhz
250gb ssd m.2 samsung evo 960
1tb wester digital 7400 rpm black edition
Amd ryzen 5 1600- 6 core 3.2ghz
Asus rog strix x-370-f motherboard with rgb and Aurora

750 w be quiet gold power supply
The case is full glass on both sides and it has 3 integrated fans.

But, again, yes if they have all the guarantee certification etc then at £900 you would be getting a very high/quality spec for your money. You could even sell on the 1600 for 2700x and be on budget or better still wait for 3000 to be released.

Soldato
I lost...

What if he let it go for 1000, will this ryzen 1600 he struggling, what's a it comparable to Intel wise
For gaming the 1600 will have no problems that you would be able to compare with relatively, personally, (i.e. direct comparison to 1700) - it will cope with anything that's thrown at it.

If JUST considering gaming then (as a guide), comparable to i5 7600 (only 4 cores) and the i5 8400 (6 CORES) - dependent on game. You wouldn't have any issues with it being coupled with a 1080ti at 1440p. Even 4K gaming should be an enjoyable experience with the 1080ti.

and will that motherboard suffer with Zen 2?

The Zen 2 (3000) would take a slight hit running on a x370 as opposed to a x470, which is optimised for the second gen/2000 ryzen's higher clock speeds -plus the x470 has the benefits of better memory support and StoreMI. So, you would assume that the zen 2/3rd gen (3000) would suffer slightly again, due to its expected higher clock speeds, but this could be a very minimal amount in real life terms.

But, this is to be expected when a socket has long term support - and commended. Had you bought the board from new you would be grateful for the chance to upgrade without swapping out the board with a minimal performance hit. But, buying second hand you understandably question the relative proficiency of the board when there are other options. That all said, it doesn't negate that the above is very good value for £900 and still gives the opportunity for a cheap upgrade path, with a minimal, max performance hit.

Choice, it's a bugger!

Soldato
OP
So he's going to let it go for 950

I feel that given the amount I actually game, and the fact that this is a fully working computer, and a 1080Ti is on par with a 2080, and I can try overclocking the 1080. That and support for Zen 2 even if there is a hit it's still going to be higher performance?

I think I may be making a good choice and saving 750 quid.

Is it worth me overclocking the 1600?, might try the ram too.

Soldato
That and support for Zen 2 even if there is a hit it's still going to be higher performance?
Yes, you would still benefit from the higher speeds of zen 2 - the speed and clocking ability is more about the CPU but a superior motherboard will obviously help get the most out of it - but the key is the CPU itself.
I think I may be making a good choice and saving 750 quid.
You're saving ~£500 (and warranty) when directly compared to a new Ryzen build - but the margins of performance loss are far far less when compared to that of the INTEL build you were considering (but had dubious issues) and a far greater saving.
Is it worth me overclocking the 1600?, might try the ram too.
Of course, although you may have a stock fan on top of the 1600 which should hold a 3700 clock but the fan may get noisy. So, you may want to factor in a decent third party cooler:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Man of Honour
zotac's warranty is only 5 years long if registered by the original owner within 14 days of purchase - else it's 3 years.
also i don't think the warranty is transferable, so you'd need this chappy to deal with any warranty claims should the need arise.

Soldato
OP
Is only EVGA transferable?

Also found this in linus forums:

depends on the warranty that comes with the product. if there is no non-transference clause in the original warranty, than it is transferable. A company cannot retroactively say a warranty is non-transferable if its not in the original warranty.

afaik, a receipt is required as well as the serial number. if you bought it online the retailer should always have a printable receipt, but if in store that might be harder to get ahold of

Man of Honour
most warranties will have a non-transference clause though. so that's a bit of a moot point.

https://www.zotac.com/eu/page/product-warranty-policy

Claims on the warranty during the primary warranty period (primary warranty period varies by region) must be processed through the seller of the product, who will forward the defective product to ZOTAC for warranty services. Warranty claims during the extended warranty period must be filed directly with ZOTAC. Extended warranty claims must be emailed to ZOTAC at [email protected] and please provide the following information:

- name of ZOTAC product
- serial number of product
- customer’s name
- date of registration
- photocopied purchase receipt and registration certificate
- description of the defect
- system specifications and operating system.

Warranty claims during the extended warranty period must be filed by the original purchaser of the ZOTAC product who has duly registered for product warranty services online in accordance with paragraph 3 above.

Product returned for extended warranty services must be sent to ZOTAC or to a service center designated by ZOTAC as per ZOTAC’s instructions. You will be responsible for costs and risk of transportation.

Soldato
OP
Well I think a GTX 1080 Ti will last me a few years, its a shame about the rtx problems if there wasn't any out of the ordinary could have easily switched it over to one. 16gb ram and if I can get a 1600 to near as 4GHz as possible?

Should be a good rig I think

I'll post a picture when I get it

Soldato
Well I think a GTX 1080 Ti will last me a few years, its a shame about the rtx problems if there wasn't any out of the ordinary could have easily switched it over to one.
I doubt you'll be disappointed with the 1080Ti - and there is a certain amount of 'anticipation' stress owning a 2080 ti at the moment which could have taken some of the enjoyment away from a second hand unit with limited/constricted warranty.

16gb ram and if I can get a 1600 to near as 4GHz as possible?
With the right cooler, certainly no harm in trying - but don't be disheartened if you can only hit ~3.9Ghz. Is the memory running stable at 3200MHz (very possible given brand)?

Should be a good rig I think

I'll post a picture when I get it

Great, best of luck with it - posting or picking up?

Soldato
OP
He actually running the memory at 2133 apparently didn't boot at rated 3200 but I think some tweaking is needed. It's actually a B350 motherboard but hopefully that isn't an issue? I questioned it and he said sorry he made mistake

Soldato
Nice, quality clean spec and the Asus STRIX b350 f is a quality board.

He actually running the memory at 2133 apparently didn't boot at rated 3200

Assuming you meant 3133 MHz(?) is still respectable on a B350. If you meant 2133Mhz it should have no issues running at 2993MHz with a quick play in the BIOS.

And, as you probably know that is the stock cooler so if you're going to have a play i would set 3.7GHz as your limit until you get a quality third party cooler.

The Phantek case is a bonus too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What's the temp limits for AMD cpus? I have not used AMD since the 64 3700+!

Also I fixed it and set it to 3200MHz, had a go at changing the timings but didn't boot so so stock at 3200MHz.

The bios is so different never seen one with a GUI!

Soldato
95C is Ryzen max.

Ideally, if going for a large clock you would want the CPU to be running under 80 degrees (preferably <75 degrees) when using a synthetic stress test.

Synthetic tests are far more brutal than everyday usage and as such the temps will not simulate real life use/temps - but it's still preferable to keep below that 75/80 mark when clocking/benching.

Soldato
Also I fixed it and set it to 3200MHz, had a go at changing the timings but didn't boot so so stock at 3200MHz.
And without sounding like a downer - you may not have solved it. You won't no for sure that it's held until the system has rebooted a few times.

Soldato
Seems to have CPU Z and HWInfo report 1600 which will be 3200 so. Should be OK?
Yes, that's all reading correctly. What i meant is that you won't know for sure if the system will hold the memory at this speed until the system has cold booted a few times.

It's possible that it will stick at 3200MHz but if you start to get cold boot issues there's a chance it will drop back to 2133MHz. This won't be a problem as at the very least you should get 2933MHz stable if you get stability problems.

It's a wait and see if it f's up test, unfortunately...

Back
Top Bottom