Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Transmission breaker
Don
They have never trained me in the town the test was booked.
I have done 2 days on the big bikes and passed mod1 with 1 minor.
Been on my cbt for 2 years now and actually very comfy riding about. Just was out of practice on the bigger bike :(

Man of Honour
Wasn't even a choice where I learned, the school was faaar away from the nearest place for a test. So I didn't know the roads.

Personally found Mod 2 quite easy, Mod 1 I was more nervous for. Mod 2 I just treated as a sat nav and felt quite comfortable, I got 2 minors for being 'too positive'. My instructor always said to ride with confidence and don't hesitate on junctions/filtering, I basically didn't yield to traffic in the opposite direction as there was parked cars on my side but in my defence I had passed the cars well within my lane.

Man of Honour
Wasn't even a choice where I learned, the school was faaar away from the nearest place for a test. So I didn't know the roads.

Personally found Mod 2 quite easy, Mod 1 I was more nervous for. Mod 2 I just treated as a sat nav and felt quite comfortable, I got 2 minors for being 'too positive'. My instructor always said to ride with confidence and don't hesitate on junctions/filtering, I basically didn't yield to traffic in the opposite direction as there was parked cars on my side but in my defence I had passed the cars well within my lane.

I almost failed my mod 2 on the first turn, as on the junction I pulled out into what the instructor considered a small space and he couldn't follow for a while so I lost him.

He said if I hadn't got up to speed so quickly I would have failed for causing other vehicles to slow down when pulling out of a junction.

Soldato
Any decent motorcycle [news/videos/reviews] websites out there? I only know of/have used MCN and Visordown - the latter I dropped some time ago, as it had some dire content and was mainly slanted towards the yanks (despite saying it's the "UK's number one"); was also filled to the brim with adverts!

Need new stuff to browse during lunch at work :D

Associate
Hi guys, I'm going to be doing bike training soon.. Which pair of boots should I get? I don't know much about gear yet.

TCX Mood Gore-Tex shoes

Alpinestars SMX-6 V2 Gore-Tex Boots

Which of those? Thanks.

Man of Honour
Depends on your use really, I'm wearing the TCX ones right now and use them 95% of the time.
They easily pass for casual wear and offer enough protection imo.

But then again I'm a fair weather rider now, if I was riding all year round and had to get just one pair I would get the boots as they're better warmth wise and against weather.

Soldato
Hi guys, I'm going to be doing bike training soon.. Which pair of boots should I get? I don't know much about gear yet.

TCX Mood Gore-Tex shoes

Alpinestars SMX-6 V2 Gore-Tex Boots

Which of those? Thanks.

I'd go for boots personally, they will give you more ankle support/protection than shoes, and will fare better in poor weather.

I have several pairs of boots, and one pair of TCX shoes - which I have ridden in once or twice, and they just don't feel that safe to me - ok for popping to the shops or into town; but I wouldn't have a spirited ride in them!

Soldato
Try 44teeth.com

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial is probably my favourite. 44Teeth is good but far too sporadic, Visordown is nothing but ads nowadays, MCN is decent but focus a lot on motorsport which I'm not that interested in, http://www.bikeexif.com/ is great if you like custom bikes too.

Thanks for the suggestions - though I love 44Teeth on youtube, the site is pretty much lacking content - it doesn't appear to have changed for ages now.

I'll try the bennetts one, as I only recently found their channel on YT, and they do some quality content.

Soldato
Just back from a long weekend around the Ardennes and Luxembourg. While we had the place pretty much to ourselves (apart from being dogged by cyclists on the Circuit de Ardennes for an afternoon!) the weather could have been kinder. It was pretty chilly, and damp on a couple of afternoons.

I'm no stranger to the Ardennes and highly recommend it, as it seems you can find new great roads every time you visit. This was the first time I'd spent decent, planned time in Luxembourg though, and that's equally fantastic. If anyone's looking for a short first Euro trip for three or four days, then I can heartily recommend both for fun and ease of getting there from the UK.

ZToA4IH.jpg

cd30SA0.jpg

XyejvzZ.jpg

Lr2Ds5v.jpg

Soldato
Just back from a long weekend around the Ardennes and Luxembourg. While we had the place pretty much to ourselves (apart from being dogged by cyclists on the Circuit de Ardennes for an afternoon!) the weather could have been kinder. It was pretty chilly, and damp on a couple of afternoons.

I'm no stranger to the Ardennes and highly recommend it, as it seems you can find new great roads every time you visit. This was the first time I'd spent decent, planned time in Luxembourg though, and that's equally fantastic. If anyone's looking for a short first Euro trip for three or four days, then I can heartily recommend both for fun and ease of getting there from the UK.

Looks great - that S1000XR looks amazing too! Just watching the BvG video on it now - look immense!

Associate
Any decent motorcycle [news/videos/reviews] websites out there? I only know of/have used MCN and Visordown - the latter I dropped some time ago, as it had some dire content and was mainly slanted towards the yanks (despite saying it's the "UK's number one"); was also filled to the brim with adverts!

Need new stuff to browse during lunch at work :D

The entire Iron & Air back catalogue is now available inline for free. Far better reading about all things 2 wheels and culture than the garbage on MCN and Visordown

Soldato
Had an alert on my phone from my tracker saying my bike (CRF rally) was on the move, looked out the window and my nephew must have taken it off the side stand and been messing around with it showing off to his pal and dropped it.

Smashed the bar end mirror and end of throttle tube, was not happy with the little git!.

Caporegime
Had an alert on my phone from my tracker saying my bike (CRF rally) was on the move, looked out the window and my nephew must have taken it off the side stand and been messing around with it showing off to his pal and dropped it.

Smashed the bar end mirror and end of throttle tube, was not happy with the little git!.

Isn't the protocol for this one year free washes?

Back
Top Bottom