Rift s whos getting one?

Associate
The Original Rift runs at 90hz, this new Rift S is 80hz. That's a decrease. I think you're confusing it with the Oculus Go which can run at 60hz and 72hz depending on the game.

Thanks for clarifying that CTC.

What is the difference between looking through a VR headset/monitor at 60hz and 80hz? I got a monitor that runs both(60+80hz) and I find it hard to notice any difference tbh, but my eyes are getting old to be fair.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Nope.

I'm getting a Quest, but I'll stick with my plain Oculus for PC stuff (I also have an Oculus Go and Gear VR).

Soldato
Given the HP Reverb was also announced with 4k it seems odd this doesn't run at the same resolution?

The tracking will definitely be an improvement but other than that the Rift S seems like a step back. Same price for an interior LCD panel with no IPD adjustment?

Permabanned
I'm not a fan of inside out tracking. I would have been interested if they had used existing sensors as an option, would even have put up with the fall back to LCD.

Perhaps the Rift S is just a temporary product until Rift 2 arrives?

Associate
What would anyone's best guess be on a timeframe for VR to be at ^Ready Player One" levels in technolodgy/software?
It seems that as a species, anything we think up we end up making (sorry a little deep for this time of the day, but I've been in Peru/Inka ruins with Carla...), so it will happen if thats what we want, just when is the question. The next question will be where do we want it to move on from there and what will it be like in a thousand years from now... :)

Sorry for the ramblings...Carla... :D

Associate
Given the HP Reverb was also announced with 4k it seems odd this doesn't run at the same resolution?

I think the largest reason for this is simply because you are going to need some high end hardware to use that headset. High spec I7 along with a 1080 at least. Oculus are about mass adoption, that is why this headset ticks all the boxes like price, and the ability for a lot of PCs/laptops to run it. as well as easy to setup.

Not only that i fancy production cost for this is a lot lower than the OG rift. considering the starting price for it.

Perhaps the Rift S is just a temporary product until Rift 2 arrives?

I honestly dont think its that temporary. I fancy we wont see a rift 2 for 2 years at least? I hope im wrong though

Associate
Tempted to get the Rift S, I can’t stand my usb cables running around the living room to the sensors, also the improved resolution would be nice, tempted if I can sell my Rift and 3 sensors for a decent amount

Associate
now is probably a good time to sell the rift - you can't buy them new even from oculus and the rift s won't be out for a month or so.

i'm surprised that oculus has completely abandoned the market, even if only for a couple of months. they should have had rift s ready to go before stopping rift production.

Associate
it's a bit strange that overclockers don't have a price yet - they are listing it as 10k.

That's clearly a placeholder, but it's strange they are not showing the price of 399 that Oculus advertised.

Soldato
I'm getting a Quest, but I'll stick with my plain Oculus for PC stuff (I also have an Oculus Go and Gear VR).

Likewise, I currently have a windows mixed realty headset and a Playstation VR headset .

I feel the Oculus Quest would compliment them nicely as a mobile VR solution for simpler games. The Rift S feels like it isn't a big enough leap over the current headsets in my opinion and it doesn't appear to bring anything new to the table.

Soldato
Quest for me as I crave wireless. Crossbuy between Rift and Quest also makes it a no-brainer as I already have a Rift with a large Oculus library.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

The Rift S feels like it isn't a big enough leap over the current headsets in my opinion and it doesn't appear to bring anything new to the table.

Yeah - it's good as a replacement to the plain Rift for those getting into VR for the first time, but it's not really much of an upgrade for those already into VR. But that's common in tech (Ryzen vs Ryzen+, graphics cards, mobile phones etc).

I don't know why people are expecting massive generational leaps with each release, it doesn't happen elsewhere in the tech world.

Soldato
Depends where you look... games consoles have pretty huge leaps from generation to generation, although more recently the cycles have been longer.

That said, it would help if it was a clear improvement at all. If Rift S had ended up with the reverb screens and a slight improvement in FoV to say 110-120 degrees then while some would still complain of course I think the majority would be happy with the improvements.

As it stands it’s more of a v1.1 - the biggest improvement seems to be in ease of use with the insight tracking. The lenses give a small upgrade in clarity, the screen a small bump in resolution but the trade offs leave it inferior in some aspects - tracking possibly not as comprehensive, speakers not as good, no juicy OLED blacks, no physical IPD etc etc.

If the rift S had come out a year after then it would be comparable to an incremental phone upgrade, but given it’s been just over 3 years I think people were disappointed it isn’t just a bit more of a clear improvement over the original, while also increasing the price from $350 to $400.

More than anything I think you are just seeing people upset that the proper Rift replacement they were hoping for is a long way off. Personally I would guess to see that in around 2-3 years if oculus are still interested in the higher end PC market at that point, which they may not be depending on how the quest/rift S figures stack up.

Soldato
The latest public beta software has the new Rift S introduction and tutorial embedded. You can actually launch this on the regular rift. It's pretty amazing - almost like a Walt-Disney introducton to VR.

Assuming you've installed Oculus software on the default path:

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-touch-tutorial\TouchNUX2\MontereySetup.exe

Video here:

Associate
After seeing a few videos I've decided to sell my rift and have pre ordered the rift s, always had usb problems with the 3 sensors so to me the inside out tracking will be a big improvement. The display is meant to be clearer which will be nice but I am disappointed they got rid of the headphones.

Back
Top Bottom