Rift s whos getting one?

Soldato
Im quite interested.

I sold my Oculus as I got tired of the cables everywhere.
This looks like a tidy replacement, depending on price.
I'd bite at around £350.

Soldato
I think the most disappointing thing for me personally was the comment from Nate in the tested video that this year is all about Quest and Rift S when pushed about catering to the high end crowd. I don't have a problem with Rift S for what it is (other than a seeming a bit poor value compared to quest), it's just not the product I'm waiting for. I pretty much see that as confirmation that we won't even hear about a Rift 2 until some time in 2020 at the very earliest...

The Valve HMD could be interesting (although rumours suggest a moderate spec jump, something I would consider gen 1.5), if not I might have to seriously consider getting a Pimax for an upgrade... hopefully by then they will have got through the teething troubles I'm seeing in the Pimax thread at the moment.

Soldato
OP
I'll pass. Total disappointment as far as I'm concerned. The big killer for me is the LCD panel. I can look past a lot of stuff when it comes to panels, but LCD black levels just don't cut it for me in a HMD.
This^ if its the same panel they use in the GO then the black levels will be awful, infact they should be renamed to 50 shades of grey levels.

Soldato
I saw a good point someone made on Reddit about pricing - the quest is pretty locked down to the oculus store so they can afford to sell at lower profit margin/loss on the basis of software sales, whereas potentially a big chunk of Rift S software sales may well be on steam...

Tis a point I hadn’t considered, I wonder if that does feature in to the price points.

Soldato
as a bit of a noob when it comes to VR , why do we need such high resolutions in VR per eye compared to say a normal 1920x1080p desktop screen,why doesn't a 1920x1080p panel per eye suffice if its clear enough for everyday use in a monitor?

because the screen is much closer to your eye - you can try this yourself, put your desktop screen within 1 or 2 inches of your eyes and you will see the pixels as well. Also a factor is the field of view, a desktop monitor is a flat narrow surface to project an image onto, a VR headset takes that image and then stretches it out to cover a wide field of view on the side of you (image have 3 1080p monitor around you but they all share just 1 single 1080p input resolution AND the screens are like 2 inches from your face)

Associate
I’ll be getting one.

Very happy with the PSVR halo design being used as I find it extremely comfortable, I find the rift strap uncomfortable (wear glasses) and feel like I am scuba diving whenever I have used one.

I would have been happier with an oled screen with hardware ipd, but if they had used the same screen as the Quest would everyone have been happy with it being locked at 72hz?

I think this is a good headset to grow the platform, bringing out super high res screen at 90hz etc would have just moved the entry requirements even higher, I do think they missed a trick not putting a 6th camera on the back of the halo though.

Will be interesting to see how the Cosmos ends up compared to this.

Soldato
Better optics, easier setup, same hardware requirements, more comfortable design. I'd rather this than a Vive Pro.

I’m more likely to get a Vive cosmos but there is still some chance I get this new rift instead.

Is the games available to headsets the same or are there certain games exclusives?

This^ if its the same panel they use in the GO then the black levels will be awful, infact they should be renamed to 50 shades of grey levels.

LCD is by itself not a gaurantee that black level will be made it depends on how the backlight is setup - if it has full array local dining then the blacks can look good, if not well then yeah...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
On it's own, it the S just feels a bit "so what" to me.

I can't help but think that:
- The Samsung O+ has higher resolution OLED screens, and if you have a friend who can grab one when on sale in the US, makes the S look rather overpriced. The only real criticism I've seen on the O+ was it's comfort, and since it's release, there's been plenty of posts with recommendations on how to add and additional headband to resolve that
- The new HP Reverb looks like it has an amazing resolution. The obvious issue being the GPU required to drive it. Having said, that, I was thinking about that. Most people I know run PD levels above 1 on the Rift. I'm currently at PD1.3, which equates to needing to process something like 2 times as many pixels as at PD1.0. the Reverb is something like 3.6 times as many pixels as the CV1, but that implies that if you run the Reverb in native PD 1 (as it probably won't need the higher PD level), then you're only pushing something like 60% more pixels in reality, which is a LOT more viable that 3.6x as many.
- The HTC Eye Pro looks like having the best solution for lowering resource requirements, as it's going to come with Eye tracking, which should facilitate foveated rendering. It's eye watering price might end up being cheaper than buying a new headset AND the required GPU to run it.

I think I'll be spending my dosh on a new base PC first.

Associate
Same. Elite Dangerous is my big VR game, and LCD black levels would be awful after the CV1's lovely dark OLED goodness.

Honestly, the Rift S just looks like a cheap WMR headset with an Oculus logo slapped on it. Not what I wanted at all.

I feel exactly the same as this, Elite is my main VR game too.

Looks like is a wait for me, all I'm looking as my next VR step is the Rift but with increased resolution.

Associate
As ever lots of intense debate over a new piece of hardware!
I have a Rift and I'm happy with it. The Rift S isn't targeted at me but if I needed a replacement now then I'd happily take it for the improved lenses, resolution and reduced SDE.
It's not perfect but neither is the Vive, Pimax, etc. and if we all wait for the ideal do everything hmd then VR would be dead on arrival.

Soldato
The HTC Cosmos should be announced later this month which also has inside out tracking. I'm looking forward to seeing some head-to-head reviews of both headsets before I decide which to get.

I've been put off by headsets with higher resolutions due to the exra strain on a GPU but the new Oculus Rift S has a full 1440p screen with a lower refresh rate of 80Hz to compensate so it doesn't require a faster PC than the original Rift.

Apparently the Oculus Rift S has a narrower field of view than the original Rift which doesn't sound good. Neither does the downgrade from OLED to LCD. Although the screen door effect has improved a lot compared to the original Rift.

Last edited:
Soldato
The HTC Cosmos should be announced later this month which also has inside out tracking. I'm looking forward to seeing some head-to-head reviews of both headsets before I decide which to get.

I've been put off by headsets with higher resolutions due to the exra strain on a GPU but the new Oculus Rift S has a full 1440p screen with a lower refresh rate of 80Hz to compensate so it doesn't require a faster PC than the original Rift.

Apparently the Oculus Rift S has a narrower field of view than the original Rift which doesn't sound good. Neither does the downgrade from OLED to LCD. Although the screen door effect has improved a lot compare to the original Rift.

One concern I have with higher res headsets is that some of the benchmarks I can find show the 2080ti doesn't have a massive performance improvement from the 1080ti despite seeing that in normal games. Have we reached some sort of CPU or Memory bottleneck with VR?

Associate
I'm open minded about the oled to LCD change. I definitely see smearing of dark areas on my Rift so I think visual quality is measured by more than just how black the blacks are.

I cant believe how many people are critical of the inside out tracking, the constellation tracking is what a whole load of you have been criticising non stop for 3 years! :D
This forum has been full of can't do room scale, too many cables, not accurate, doesn't work in sunlight, need a usb card talk ever since the Rift was launched

Back
Top Bottom