Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Associate
I’m looking for a family VR setup an think the Quest fits the bill but have a question.

I understand that I’ll need a WiFi connection to set it up and download games etc but will in need an active WiFi connection to use it or will it be truly mobile. It would be nice to be able to use it when we’re away.

Soldato
I’m looking for a family VR setup an think the Quest fits the bill but have a question.

I understand that I’ll need a WiFi connection to set it up and download games etc but will in need an active WiFi connection to use it or will it be truly mobile. It would be nice to be able to use it when we’re away.

No, it won't need a WiFi network to play most of the games though obviously some might be online only. Same as any other game console really.

Soldato
I'll stick with the rainforest store as I like the fact I can get it delivered to lockers for collection. It saves the hassle of it being sent to my flat when I'm not in and having to make my way to the mail depot at the weekend.

Associate
you can't use the headset until the release date.
Not completely true. According to reddit, some users have managed to get it working by setting it up as a Go and then sideloading a game to play on it. Not perfect, but better than nothing I guess.

I'll report back if it does get delivered early. Not holding my breath though ;)

Soldato
For guys who have bought the Quest over the Index, whats your reasoning?

I'm just looking at the quest library of games and its got me thinking...

FYI I've bought the 499 quest. I'm just having slight second thoughts.

Associate
I really want to get the 128Gb model £499 doesn't seem that bad as a price point since i paid pretty much on par for the PSVR and Move controllers but the experience is a bit so so since it only has a lower DOF vs 6DOF this has. Happy to wait though gives me time to shift my PS4 and PSVR setup.

Soldato

I guess my reasons are a combination of :-

1) My PC is 5 years old with a geforce 980 and pretty much minimum spec for VR. Graphics card prices are crazy so I'd need to spend £400-500 on top of the £1000 for the Valve index headset! I can buy the Quest for the price of a new video card alone. I never use my PC for gaming these days so I don't particularly want to spend money upgrading it.

2) The room my PC is located in is tiny and not large enough for room scale experiences. Realistically I'd need to move it elsewhere and the I have the headache of having to set up base stations/etc as well. Logistically it's a nightmare just to play a game! The Quest I can literally use anywhere.

3) I have a WMR headset and to be honest I found the setup (reconfiguring controls, playing around with graphical settings, updating software) a pain after using PSVR which is far more plug and play. The Quest will be even less hassle to setup than that.

4) I see going wireless as a bigger improvement that any minor jump in visual fidelity. For me nothing ruins immersion like constantly have the cable knocking against you and having to be continuously mindful of it when moving and turning around. The Quest will fix what for me is one of the major issues with the current generation of VR. I'm disappointed that for the price of the Valve Index they haven't been able to include wireless functionality as that's one feature which might have made me consider it instead of the Quest.

I know I won't get some of the more advanced games on quest but between that and PSVR I'm happy it'll handle all my VR needs until the Playstation 5 comes out at which point we'll hopefully get an upgraded VR headset/controllers to go with it. I intend to keep my Playstation VR headset, as I use it all the time, until a replacement comes out anyway.

I'll probably sell my Windows mixed reality one though as I never use it and didn't like the hardware to be honest. I think it's perhaps soured my perception of PC VR!

I do however feel that the game library on the Quest is particularly strong given its just about to be released. Having used the Oculus Go the hardware seemed very well made and solid. Some of the PC headsets feel far cheaper than their price tag would suggest! I have faith in Oculus to support the Quest in terms of both the software and the hardware if there are any issues. Valve index is a bit of an unknown at this point in time as all we have are paper specs.

So in summary I have a PSVR headset, which I think is fantastic, other than the tracking and move controllers which could definitely be improved. I feel that the Oculus Quest will compliment it nicely as a portable solution until the next Playstation headset (or a reasonably priced wireless PC one) appears in another year or two.

Last edited:
Associate
I have the PSVR and i find setting up the camera sometimes more hassle than its worth. My daughter loves that work simulator game and often the height is under so have to mess about with the camera or ingame floor setting. Plus its not a massive room so find having to put the camera on a tripod or something helps a lot. I think i might actually pre order this now and if i hate it i can always return it! The only sketch part is being owned by facebook? Not really sure about that one.

Associate
I've just ordered the 128GB version.

I already own the PSVR and HTC vive.

I got the HTC vive first and was utterly blown away by it. I've been interested in tech since I was first given a ZX81 for Christmas and very few things have managed to elict the same sense of wonder as when I first put on the Vive. Unfortunately, reality soon bites and for me at least, despite buying the dulux audio strap the Vive is just too damn uncomfortable to wear for more than 20 mins. Games like Elite dangerous (I grew up with original) are astonishing in VR but I just can't get into them with the Vive. That and the fact that, frankly, its a lot of faff to get things working properly.

I recently got the PSVR, I was surprised at how good it was. To be honest, in terms of visual fidelity, I couldn't see a lot of difference from the Vive. Obviously tracking of the controller and room scale was poor but for seating experiences, and for the price it was very very good. In addition, the halo type strap was a godsend and I could wear it for hours without really noticing.

I ordered the Quest because for me the next big thing is the freedom of the wireless operation and outside in tracking and I'm going to be very interested in how well that works. I'm quite happy to give up a lot in terms of visual goodies for the freedom of those two things if (and the reviews seem to be good) they work well.

My next purchase will be a high FOV halo type strap VR headset for seating experiences only (with luck, somebody will make one) and then I should have covered all the bases nicely.

Soldato

I'm just looking at the quest library of games and its got me thinking...

FYI I've bought the 499 quest. I'm just having slight second thoughts.

I have an original Rift with a 3 camera setup, mounted on the walls. Reasons I'm getting a Quest over an index are:

1) My PC is in an attic room. While the 3 sensors have reasonable positions, setting up a an opposite corner lighthouse system is actually trickier due to the sloping ceilings. Pus I only have power sockets on one wall so I'd have to run a long power extension too.

2) I want to go wireless, and to be able to game in a bigger, less cluttered area than my attic. Quest allows me to VR anywhere, away from my PC.

3) Cross-buy with Rift means I have a ready made library, and means I'll get more cross compatible games in future.

4) Index cost means I'd have to pay double what a Quest costs to get the full setup.

5) I want to demo VR to more people. Quest's portability makes that easy.

6) I'm happy using my Rift to play PC exclusives.

Soldato
Yeah, maybe going forward it'll be a thing but I don't see many developers who've spent time/money porting existing games being ok with giving them away! I'm sure there's a substantial amount of work (redoing all artwork and assets, simplifiying models, downscaling textures, optimizing code for ARM, reducing memory usage, etc) required to port the pc version across to the Quest.

I will say though that I really hope the superhot devs make at least some effort to add extra levels or game modes. I Iove superhot but the game is ridiculously short and lacking in features!

The fact that years after release they haven't put out an expansion pack with extra levels or a level editor so users can create their own is criminal really :mad:

They claim they've updated the game to make use of the quest's features so I really hope it's more than just an extra enemy and item here or there.

I'll probably re-buy the game regardless though because... Well, it's superhot, which is possibly the best VR shooter out there. I do worry the developers know this which is why it often feels like they're putting in very little effort though.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Disappointed Superhot isn't cross-buy, but I've not really played it too much on the Rift as I could do with more space to play it, so a quest purchase looks tempting.

Beat Saber not being cross-buy either does grate, as the potential cost is much greater with DLC packs, etc.

Oculus should be funding cross-buy titles as it makes it more likely existing rift owners will buy a Quest, and makes it more likely they will buy games if they know they can use it on two different devices. If cross-buy isn't a thing then at least offer a discount to existing owners.

Back
Top Bottom