Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
Amazon 'accidentally' set the 128GB version pre-order page live yesterday. Went down quickly but some people got orders in and they haven't been cancelled. Speculation is pre-orders might start today when they release the next blog post at 4pm. Would be 2 weeks before F8 so seems plausible. Not long to find out.

£500 For the 128gb version, which is a big markup over the 64gb version at £399. However I think I'll have to go for the 128gb as the memory isn't expandable so you're stuck with whatever you have on the headset when you bought it. I bought a 64gb Go and I'm glad I did as you can fit a lot of content onto it.

Any idea what the battery life is like? Iam thinking sub 3hrs if the Go is anything to go by.
I'm hearing at least 2 hours battery life, possibly up to 4.

Soldato
I'm annoyed at the level of mark up on the 128gb version. I was sure I would get the larger capacity one but I'm now considering saving £100 and going for the 64gb model instead! I have a feeling the game install sizes on the Quest will be fairly small anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
So no pre-orders today, just some more ported game announcements. A couple of leaked Quest videos popped up today if anyone's interested. Safety video and setup video.
I too think I'll be going for the 128GB model purely for longevity and not having to remove things, to then redownload them down the line. I do think the £100 mark up is steep though. Probably because they've underpriced the 64GB model to increase adoption, so the 128GB model looks overpriced in comparison, whereas it's probably more realistic with what the tech costs and their usual profit margins.
Battery life comments from people who've tested them at PAX were 2-4hours depending on what was played, over 4hrs from some people, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Better to expect less and be pleasantly surprised if more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Quest is up for pre-order at a well known highstreet video game retailer. Not sure if it's intentional it went live. Showing a launch of 31st May, but that could be a placeholder.

Prices as expected, £399 for 64gb and £499 for 128.

Soldato
Yeah, 21 may confirmed release date for both Oculus Quest and Oculus Rift.

It's up for pre-order on the Oculus website but I'm gonna wait until the rainforest store has it before I order.

Not sure about whether to go for 64gb or 128gb. Has anyone heard confirmation about the game install sizes on the Quest? I really don't want to spend £100 extra for the 128gb model if I can avoid it!

Soldato
I've just pre-ordered the128gb from Oculus. Since you can't upgrade the on-board storage I'd rather have the extra space for future proofing. I did wince when ordering though - £100 is a big premium. :(

Oculus customer support is pretty good - They replaced my Oculus Go with a new unit pretty quickly when I noticed it had a dead pixel, so I'm happy to order from them.

Soldato
A really nice carrying case is also available, at £40. I may well order one once I've got over the shock of the cost of the 128gb Quest. Maybe see a review first.

Associate
Has anyone heard confirmation about the game install sizes on the Quest?

Looks like from a few hundred MB up to 3GB currently. That's not to say that when future games come out they couldn't be significantly more, there's just no way to know really.

Also liking the look of the £40 official case. There's no rush though, I'm sure reviews of this and 3rd party cases will come out soon enough.

Side note: I'm surprised Overclockers didn't have a page ready today to promote pre-orders for the Quest.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Think I'll wait until John Lewis gets them in for the 2yr warranty.

Once the store is up will build up a little library a game a week in no rush.

Norm said you can sideload too like the GO via the type C.

Soldato
I'm just a bit too annoyed at the 128GB price. £500 gets you a quest. £900 gets you the valve bundle.

I'm honestly edging towards the valve bundle. Before, the quest was nailed on as a buy for me, simply because I liked the idea of sharing VR experiences but now I'm really tempted to just wait for hands on experiences and reviews because £500 just feels like a lot more money than £399 for 64gb of storage.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Pre ordered but only the 64gb one. It takes 5 mins to download a 3gb game, so no buggy if I have to reinstall something I've had to remove to make space. Having said that's, I've got loads installed on my Go 64gb and that's got loads of space left.

Keep telling myself I don't need to upgrade my Rift to an S, we'll see how long that lasts!

Soldato
I was all set to buy the 128Gb version but it just feels like too big a jump for what seems like an unnecessary increase in storage given how small the game install sizes appear to be. I'll put up with re-downloading the occasional game if it saves me £100. Maybe it's psychological but £400 sounds so much cheaper than £500!

It's difficult to know whether it's worth the extra money for 128Gb until you get your hands on the device and know how much you'll use it! Guess I'll keep an eye on the reviews over the next few weeks and can decide based on review feedback and once we see more game sizes announced whether it's worth spending the extra. I've still 3 weeks to change my mind if I need to.

From what I've seen so far even if I go crazy and buy like half a dozen titles (Beat sabre, Rec Room, Robo Recall, Superhot, Ultrawings, Vader Immortal, Space Pirate Trainer,etc) I want at launch that'll probably still only tally up to around 12Gb leaving at least 30-40Gb free on a 64Gb device.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom