Locking something that is not yours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
When the gardener offered to get the key the door was already at least half way off the frame, getting the key now would be useless, and the building guy had to be taught a lesson, which I will expand on my next point.

Well now you need to be taught a lesson that damaging things which mean others now can't use it isn't an acceptable way to deal with things.

Soldato
Im not paying for anything, and I shouldnt need to or have to wait 5 or even 1 minute to get my own bike. I hope he does involve the police, he basically stole my bike by locking it without giving me the key. Joke will be on him.

The law looks at what a reasonable person would do in any given situation.

I think the fact you rent the shed is a crucial fact. Renting means its not your property. Unless you have a written contract to say you have guaranteed access to the shed 24/7 then yea, it is reasonable that you should go call the person you're renting off to see if he put the lock on and why.

What compounded the issue is that the gardener saw you, told you why the lock had been put on, to keep your bike safe from thieves, and offered to go get the key. But like an animal you didn't wait and decided to attack someone elses property i.e. the door of the shed.

How you can act like you shouldn't pay for it is just dumb.

Caporegime
Its tampering with a road vehicle. Or someone else's property.

Otherwise I'd be allowed to mess about with other people's brakes, etc too.

The law you're referring to is interfering with a motor vehicle. A bicycle isn't a motor vehicle.

It's somewhat different to cutting someone's brakes which clearly only has one aim.

Soldato
Personally I would have cut the other lock off but not damaged the door. I'd have told the gardener this was my intention and that as far as I was concerned someone had deliberately put another lock on to prevent access. If they wanted then you could have provided another lock for £5 rather than now have to pay to repair the door.

It's kind of irrelevant that you proved how easy it is to break in as you shouldn't have been breaking in to a rented bike shed.

Caporegime
Under what law?

I'm not a lawyer but

the victim must undergo unreasonable effort and expense to return their vehicle to an operable condition. Repairing or restoring something that has been changed as the result of the malicious actions of another will always be considered unreasonable, because it is not reasonable to expect malice.

Its illegal simple as

Caporegime
I'm not a lawyer but

the victim must undergo unreasonable effort and expense to return their vehicle to an operable condition. Repairing or restoring something that has been changed as the result of the malicious actions of another will always be considered unreasonable, because it is not reasonable to expect malice.

Its illegal simple as

You've cited an American law. We're not in America. You also haven't even bothered to state which law it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom