• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
lot of folks writing intel off already and there's not even been a shot fired from AMD. if amd does not deliver on the speculation taking place in this thread you could well find it's amd in difficulties. massive over hyping followed by massive disappointment can be a brutal product killer....... that said they sodding well better deliver - i fancy changing my 1600 for either 3600x or 3700x

i know we all like a bit of hyperbole but lets not be silly, intel are far from dead.

Soldato
lot of folks writing intel off already and there's not even been a shot fired from AMD. if amd does not deliver on the speculation taking place in this thread you could well find it's amd in difficulties. massive over hyping followed by massive disappointment can be a brutal product killer....... that said they sodding well better deliver - i fancy changing my 1600 for either 3600x or 3700x

i know we all like a bit of hyperbole but lets not be silly, intel are far from dead.

I bet some of those people writing off Intel know what AMD has coming in a few days! We know Intel will take years to turn it around as we have seen their internal roadmaps so they are in for a bit of a hiding for the next year or so at least.

Intel wasted a massive CPU lead, they had ~40% IPC lead for 4 or so years, and they spent that time segmenting the market more and more to nickle and dime every penny they could out of their users - server more than desktop. Now they have a double/tripple whammy of a resurgent AMD, in the CPU space, more and more CPU vulnerabilities piling up reducing IPC way below AMD for servers where the mitigations are mandatory, and a manufacturing stall with 10nm taking more than twice as long to get out the door than expected. It's the perfect storm for companies to say bugger it and switch over from Intel to AMD, especially the vulnerabilities which there seems to be no end to.

They are far from dead, and they have a billions of cash on hand, but that can disappear fast when your 'whale' customers start jumping ship to the competition - especially with no end in site for years. I think it'll take 4-5 years to get back on top of everything, if they can, of course they can do it but will they??

Samsung/TSMC are well on their way to 5nm/3nm so will soon be a full node shrink ahead of Intel, it's a place that Intel has never been in as they have always been ahead of everyone in manufacturing. It'll be interesting to see if Intel go to Samsung or TSMC to manufacture there CPU's whilst they catch up(for the high end/servers), They can easily do it if they felt the need but I wonder it they could take the hit to their ego..

Soldato
I bet some of those people writing off Intel know what AMD has coming in a few days! We know Intel will take years to turn it around as we have seen their internal roadmaps so they are in for a bit of a hiding for the next year or so at least.

Intel wasted a massive CPU lead, they had ~40% IPC lead for 4 or so years, and they spent that time segmenting the market more and more to nickle and dime every penny they could out of their users - server more than desktop. Now they have a double/tripple whammy of a resurgent AMD, in the CPU space, more and more CPU vulnerabilities piling up reducing IPC way below AMD for servers where the mitigations are mandatory, and a manufacturing stall with 10nm taking more than twice as long to get out the door than expected. It's the perfect storm for companies to say bugger it and switch over from Intel to AMD, especially the vulnerabilities which there seems to be no end to.

They are far from dead, and they have a billions of cash on hand, but that can disappear fast when your 'whale' customers start jumping ship to the competition - especially with no end in site for years. I think it'll take 4-5 years to get back on top of everything, if they can, of course they can do it but will they??

Samsung/TSMC are well on their way to 5nm/3nm so will soon be a full node shrink ahead of Intel, it's a place that Intel has never been in as they have always been ahead of everyone in manufacturing. It'll be interesting to see if Intel go to Samsung or TSMC to manufacture there CPU's whilst they catch up(for the high end/servers), They can easily do it if they felt the need but I wonder it they could take the hit to their ego..
intel may well end up on the back foot if R3K lives up to the hype but they are not dead. nor should anyone want to see them dead and buried irrespective of their history of holding back cpu progression.

Soldato
Intel can release turd like the Pentium D and people will still buy them over superior AMD chips. ~50% oem market share is a loooong way off

That's because Intel were bribing OEM's, Dell/HP/etc, to keep AMD Athlons out of their lineup. For Dell this 'rebate' was worth ~$300m per quarter! They were fined over $1B for it and that was not even close to enough because it hampered AMD for the next 10 years and almost killed them - if it wasn't for Rory Reed cutting things back to the bones that is.

Soldato
Actually hilarious saying "Intel deliver". When that's EXACTLY what Intel HAVEN'T been doing! The whole reason AMD are grabbing sales and hype left right and centre because Intel haven't delivered.

Why is DG such an Intel fanboy? I really don't get why anyone would have such an allegiance to a random American Company. it makes zero sense to me. How does it help him?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Actually hilarious saying "Intel deliver". When that's EXACTLY what Intel HAVEN'T been doing! The whole reason AMD and grabbing sales and hype left right and centre because Intel haven't delivered.

Why is DG such an Intel fanboy? I really don't get why anyone would have such an allegiance to a random American Company. it makes zero sense to me. How does it help him?

I wouldn't be surprised if he's a special agent, one of those paid by CIA for hybrid warfare...

Caporegime
Yeah because what we "needed" was 4 cores with 50Mhz gains for decade after decade. Stop being such a fanboi.

fanboi for saying the truth. as much as we want amd to smash intel i just said dont get carried away. as some are in here. what if they turn out slower than current intel chips ? as i said all the pro amd fanboys will be distraught. fingers are crossed and i want a x12 core. will amd deliver hopefully so.

Soldato
It's going to be amazing if AMD with their Zen 2 16 core@~4.2GHz or so can match, or win, over the Intel i9 7960X at 3x the price - That is nuts!
There is still a fairly large divide from a quality standpoint. Zen is still extremely rough around the edges as far as being an enthusiast platform is concerned...

That was a fair comment when Zen was first released, especially with RAM compatibility, but it's not the case now. Sure we could have a similar situation when Zen2 is first released but I don't think it'll be as bad as when Zen1 arrived.

Back
Top Bottom