• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen = Sandybridge IPC

Soldato
I may be somewhat missing the point, and tbh I don't really care about gaming anyway, but why test 4c8t Sandy vs 4c8t Zen? Yes he's showing that core for core they're similar (swings and roundabouts between games), but that's not taking account of the fact that Zen is actually 8c16t. What do his benchmarks look like after he runs the CPUs as intended? It would have been interesting to see some server and workstation tasks in amongst the benchmarks too.

Caporegime
its pretty much true. many know this in games except for people like humbug who uses same biased benchmark showing ryzen better lol.

i did chuckle when you see the reality in this pic.

Soldato
its pretty much true. many know this in games except for people like humbug who uses same biased benchmark showing ryzen better lol.
Said while quoting an equally "biased" outlier benchmark. I dunno what this guy's methodology is but other IPC tests do not have the same conclusions. Maybe he's using slow RAM, I dunno.

Caporegime
Something wrong with that...

As i wrote on Reddit.
------------

I was surprised to see TheGoodOldGamer latests IPC video in which his results show Zen+ IPC level some 15% lower than Haswell, he thinks its even lower for Coffeelake.

I cannot get my head around how he got these results given that everyone else who i have seen do the same thing with the same applications result close to Coffeelake, it just blows my mind how he can get results so wildly different to everyone else.

His Cinebench R15 scores are about 15% behind Haswell, his CPU-Z results about the same level of difference.

His Cinebench R15 results he claims with all CPU's at 3Ghz he thinks 122 for Haswell at 3Ghz and 112 for Zen+ https://i.imgur.com/ygezslY.png

Guru3d results:

4790K boosts to 4.2Ghz single core, they result 173 at that, 40% higher and that matches the clocks difference, 40% higher score vs 40% higher clocks.

But at 4.4Ghz the 2700X scores 183, 47% higher clocks vs 3Ghz but the 2700X is scoring 63% higher than his result with clocks normalised, so there is about 15% scores missing from his results on Zen+.

7CqovQL.png

A far easier way is TechSpot, they did them all at 4Ghz.

dcQvZib.png

See that ^^^ with everything at 4Ghz Zen+ is about 97% of Coffeelake, that compliments the Guru3D result....

I ran Cinebench R20 with a Coffeelake owner on another forum, and again his Coffeealke clock for clock was only about 3% faster.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...enchmark-thread.18849380/page-3#post-32566035

So how the hell is Chris getting these results on Zen+?, they are about 15 to 20% lower than reality.

CPU-Z exactly the same, his results are about 20% lower than they should be....

Last edited:
Caporegime
Something wrong with that...

As i wrote on Reddit.
------------

I was surprised to see TheGoodOldGamer latests IPC video in which his results show Zen+ IPC level some 15% lower than Haswell, he thinks its even lower for Coffeelake.

I cannot get my head around how he got these results given that everyone else who i have seen do the same thing with the same applications result close to Coffeelake, it just blows my mind how he can get results so wildly different to everyone else.

His Cinebench R15 scores are about 15% behind Haswell, his CPU-Z results about the same level of difference.

His Cinebench R15 results he claims with all CPU's at 3Ghz he thinks 122 for Haswell at 3Ghz and 112 for Zen+ https://i.imgur.com/ygezslY.png

Guru3d results:

4790K boosts to 4.2Ghz single core, they result 173 at that, 40% higher and that matches the clocks difference, 40% higher score vs 40% higher clocks.

But at 4.4Ghz the 2700X scores 183, 47% higher clocks vs 3Ghz but the 2700X is scoring 63% higher than his result with clocks normalised, so there is about 15% scores missing from his results on Zen+.

7CqovQL.png

A far easier way is TechSpot, they did them all at 4Ghz.

dcQvZib.png

See that ^^^ with everything at 4Ghz Zen+ is about 97% of Coffeelake, that compliments the Guru3D result....

I ran Cinebench R20 with a Coffeelake owner on another forum, and again his Coffeealke clock for clock was only about 3% faster.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...enchmark-thread.18849380/page-3#post-32566035

So how the hell is Chris getting these results on Zen+?, they are about 15 to 20% lower than reality.

CPU-Z exactly the same, his results are about 20% lower than they should be....

CPU-Z
Ryzen 1600 @ 3.85Ghz 440 ST
4790K @ 4.2Ghz (Actual ST Boost) 451.

So with 30% higher clocks i'm scoring 65% higher... yeah, doesn't add up.

90y3fCZ.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
I did this one at 3.0Ghz, the same speed as Chris.

vs

A difference of 30%, anyone with CPU-Z, Ryzen and Cinebench for that matter can easily replicate this.... Chis is 30% down on what he should be scoring at least in CPU-Z, about 20% down in Cinbench, its utter nonsense, i don't know why.

tYmLcOt.png

mAeKFN4.png

Caporegime
No ^^^ he gives his RAM as 3000Mhz CL16, the same as mine.
--------------------

Cinebench R15

Zen / Haswell @ 3.0Ghz

Chris 108
Me 122 +13%

MtK5AQ1.png

I think Chris's Haswell scores are higher than they shoul'd be at 3.0 Ghz, Hasswel at the top there scoring 165 at 4.4Ghz, my own Haswell score there 162 at 4.5Ghz.

He says Haswell scores 122 at 3.0Ghz, the clock diffrence between 3.0Ghz and 4.4Ghz is 47% yet the score diffrence between his claimed 3.0Ghz and actual 4.4Ghz on the same CPU is only 35%, a 12% discrepency.

His results for all the Zen scores are total BS, they are much lower than they should be and his Haswell scores are 12% higher in Cinebench than they should be.

Associate
He has been fiddling with the memory timings and god knows what, on a cpu architecture like Zen where timings and memory are critical to IF its not a good idea.

So yeah you can get Zen to run as slow as Haswell or SB, but you need to cripple it to do so. Meanwhile with intels stuff you just need to install the latest security patches to horse its performance :p:p

Back
Top Bottom