TV Licence Super Thread

Permabanned
I don't think you could build much of a case for them being technically wrong, based on the way I decided to word my own rule of thumb :p

You'd have to be exceptionally stupid to get done for not having a TV licence however you watch TV, it virtually requires self incrimination or being seen through your window.

I love it when they come to my door.

THEM: "Can I come in to confirm that you don't need a licence?"

ME: "No"

The end...:)

Soldato
I've done that and they have flashed some kind of generic photo ID as if it means anything.

It's funny to see their faces when they realise someone knows they have zero authority or powers.

I've had them visit 3 times in the same day before. When they don't get an answer they come back later and again if still no answer and I suspect it's way after their clocking off time when this happens. Hence why they don't want to reveal who they are in case you dob them in. Same with "We said we'd call" leaflets they put through the door that never have the details filled in.

Permabanned
I've had them visit 3 times in the same day before. When they don't get an answer they come back later and again if still no answer and I suspect it's way after their clocking off time when this happens. Hence why they don't want to reveal who they are in case you dob them in. Same with "We said we'd call" leaflets they put through the door that never have the details filled in.

Bloody hell - aggressive plastic police.

Go for the withdrawl of access to your house letter. The default law is that everyone has implied permission to walk up your path/driveway/whatever to your front door, but you can withdraw that. I did that a few years ago when they were being irritating and they didn't come back.

I've got a template letter, but it's on my work PC. Will attach it here on Monday.

Associate
Bloody hell - aggressive plastic police.

Go for the withdrawl of access to your house letter. The default law is that everyone has implied permission to walk up your path/driveway/whatever to your front door, but you can withdraw that. I did that a few years ago when they were being irritating and they didn't come back.

I've got a template letter, but it's on my work PC. Will attach it here on Monday.

Do not do this it's bad advice and an admission you are hiding something. They will pursue you through the courts and throw the kitchen sink at you if you try this very outdated method.

Associate
Declaring you do not need a TV license, ends the letters visits etc for 2 years. You get a letter in the post confirming this too.

Why do you not do that?

Declaring you do not need a TV license, ends the letters visits etc for 2 years. You get a letter in the post confirming this too.

Why do you not do that?

Not in my experience

They stopped for about 3 months then the cycle started all over again

Used to open them to see what the latest planned action was but now they go straight in the bin. If they want to waste money chasing me for something I dont need they can keep doing so.

Soldato
Do not do this it's bad advice and an admission you are hiding something. They will pursue you through the courts and throw the kitchen sink at you if you try this very outdated method.
That's not true and for me that was the best thing I ever did. It is well worth while removing there right of access. Its not admission your hiding anything and it can stop them causing harassment. What other alternative do we have? Removing access is the only real solution.

Why do you not do that?
Because it doesn't work half the time and often makes the situation much worse. How many times does this have to be said?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I don't see why I should give TVL my data to confirm that I don't need a licence for 2 years. I don't need to prove that I don't need to pay them, The onus is on them to prove that I do.

Associate
Not in my experience

They stopped for about 3 months then the cycle started all over again
Can confirm this. I made the mistake of telling them I didn't need a license, and even let one of their pretendy 'inspectors' in (he stuck his head round the living room door, didn't see a TV, declared himself satisfied and left) but after a few months the nastygrams started coming again. Now I just shred their letters and shut the front door the couple of times their bods have come round.

Associate
I did one of those online forms and they did actually stop sending letters for two years.
This time though im refusing to do one just for fun, to see if they actually send someone round haha

Soldato
Just dont reply to any of their scare mongering letters,Nor answer the door to any of their dodgy staff,if by off chance you do answer the door to them just tell them to jog on and get off the property,they cant do anything :D

Associate
So I finally logged in to cancel my licence and there doesn't appear to be an actual cancellation page, you have to go through their "contact us" and "ask a question" forms. So anyway, filled them in, if I don't hear within a week I'll just cancel the DD.

I realised the other day just how little I watch TV now , fair enough the odd Attenborough doc or Brian Cox thing. But generally nothing on a day to day basis, it's all the on demand services. So knickers to them, here's to days ahead of dealing with the door knockers.

Soldato
I did one of those online forms and they did actually stop sending letters for two years.
This time though im refusing to do one just for fun, to see if they actually send someone round haha

I did this several months ago and they have seemed to have stopped, interesting to see if they do indeed stop for the whole 2 years

Back
Top Bottom