• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

ljt

ljt

Soldato
They argued vehemently that it was "common sense" and AMD would "have to do that" to increase market share.

Adamant they were even before "leaks" such as AdoredTwit.

And anyone who said, "Hold on, they aren't going to bring the same perf as Intel at 50% of the cost" was shot down by multiple posters. Because that's just what AMD was going to do, lol.

So I make no apologies!

I was one of those hoping we'd see a shift in the stack to R3 = 6C, R5 = 8C, R7 = 12C and R9 = 16C, but not because I was supposedly an "AMD Superfan" I was hoping for it because I am pro consumer, I wanted progress, I wanted cheaper and faster than the last time. I don't care who makes it, I'm brand agnostic. All I care about is getting what I want for as cheap as possible, or getting more for my cash the next time around.

Permabanned
Disappointing to see that the Ryzen 5 is still stuck at 6c when I think almost everyone thought it was going to be a 8c, with Ryzen 7 moving to 12c and Ryzen 9 moving to 16c

your confusing intel and amd

the Ryzen 5 is there 6 core range END OF! intel use the i5 branding as there main stream group the core/threads will change over time.
dont expect ryzen 5 to have more than 6c/12t, they added a tyzen 12 range to add the new core count

Associate
Yeah suppose it was pie in the sky to assume the cores would shift down the stack, doesnt "really" make much sense as amd's current line up does fine with the numbering.
Supposed many just wanted to see a ryzen 5 with 8 cores beat up quad core i5s... then again i dont think the 6 core ryzen5s will have much of a hard time doing that anyway :D

I asked this and it was pointed out that you get 300MHz more base clock with the 3800X. Still not sure that justifies / explains it.
The spec TDP doesn't mean it uses the full amount, otherwise the more pertinent questionis "how come the 12c SKU has the same TDP despite more cores AND higher clocks?"
IMO it is a combination of binning and thermal headroom; you run a higher base and you leave yourself less thermal headroom for boosting if you don't also allow for a higher TDP.
The SKUs don't run at TDP at stock; they'll be beneath it. The 3700X likely doesn't have much scope for boosting whilst within 65w, whereas the 3800X likely wouldn't have any at all if it was assigned the same rating despite higher clocks.
Afterall, TDP is supposed to represent cooling requirements, not actual power draw. I'd bet you'd get a little more out of the 3700X if you changed the cooler that comes with it, though binning will likely prevent you getting the same as you'd get out of a 3800X.

Soldato
Yeah, i paid £160 for my 1600, it had already been out for a little while and was discounted from £180.

I'm running it at 3.85Ghz 24/7, 3600 @ 4.1Ghz = +7%, +15% IPC = +22% + Shiny = Happy humbug = Good = £200 is worth it, + get £70 back on the 1600? £40 on the board?

not 7%.. 6.49345064935065%... do you even use that calculator i bought you?

Associate
Naa i still think we will see a speed bump late on in 19 - ok wishful thinking but this is a new process and improvements will be there down the road.
Amd might just choose to bundle them all into Zen3, but then that was touted as a power reduction release of 2 wasnt it? with some ipc and performance updates yes but i doubt we will see a strong 15% and changes like Zen2 has brought.

Soldato
How much difference from 5820k to 3800x in single core perf? Would i be looking at 20% or so? Not sure whether to go for a lower end 8 core chip.. Don't fancy spending near 500 on just a CPU at the moment and wouldn't mind a couple of extra cores and faster single core perf.

Associate
Dunno really, suspect Haswell was maybe 5-10% max shy of Zen+ (in general not gaming)
So a 15% increase for Zen2 over Zen+ would put a decent amount of IPC between them, but not a massive amount.

Clock speeds will be near similar, i run 4.5Ghz all core on my 5820k and would expect to run the 8 or 12 core Zen2s at similar, or a little higher. so not a lot of performance there hence me looking at the 12 core part.

However big elephants in the room are.
on the intel side the security patches, these are taking 2 or 3% a time off and there is plenty of them and plenty more will likely be found.
The removal of hyperthreading, which is being disabled on lots of security conscious boxes.. This is what??? 25-30% on its own.

Amds big questions on zen2 are
Is the max boost reported today the max or can xfr take it higher
Can overclocking take them up more than the 100-150mhz we saw in general with Zen+
and the big one for me, is all the talk of expanded caches, especially the 70mb stuff on the 12 going to do a lot more for performance than mhz does?

Soldato
How much difference from 5820k to 3800x in single core perf? Would i be looking at 20% or so? Not sure whether to go for a lower end 8 core chip.. Don't fancy spending near 500 on just a CPU at the moment and wouldn't mind a couple of extra cores and faster single core perf.

Well Ryzen 1 ~matched Broadwell-E IPC wise, and 3800X is 15% increased IPC on that.

So if your 5820K was clocked at 4.5Ghz, the 3800X would still be 20+% faster clock for clock. Should be a decent upgrade, not even including the vasty better RAM speeds you'll be able to get. Some Ryzen x570 motherboards showing XMP speeds upto to 4400Mhz; and Ryzen performance increases as RAM speeds go up, and latency lowers.

Back
Top Bottom