• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
How much difference from 5820k to 3800x in single core perf? Would i be looking at 20% or so? Not sure whether to go for a lower end 8 core chip.. Don't fancy spending near 500 on just a CPU at the moment and wouldn't mind a couple of extra cores and faster single core perf.
If you are fully patched for all the security issues it will probably be more than 20%, my 5930K feels like a ZX80.

Permabanned
price of the 3900x doesn't look bad compared to what the threadripper 12 core parts where at launch.

3900x $499 3.8-4.6
2920x $649 3.5-4.3
1920x $799 3.5-4.0

I paid £265 for my 1700 7 months after launch (£329)

The Threadripper lineup received a core-count doubling going from Ryzen Threadripper 1950X to Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX.
The Ryzen 7 lineup didn't receive any core-count increase, instead AMD chose to create a new branding with Ryzen 9.

These aforementioned by you price reductions are welcome but too slow and not enough.

I need the 12C/24T part but I am not going to pay €500 to get it.

Caporegime

"In the dark, starless night, the falcon strikes fear into the heart of its prey. Even with minimal visibility, the falcon pinpoints its prey and patiently anticipates the perfect moment to swoop in for the kill. The falcon with its laser sharp gaze dominates the darkness of night in the same manner that AORUS Core Lighting illuminates the vast AORUS ecosystem."

LMAO

Caporegime
"In the dark, starless night, the falcon strikes fear into the heart of its prey. Even with minimal visibility, the falcon pinpoints its prey and patiently anticipates the perfect moment to swoop in for the kill. The falcon with its laser sharp gaze dominates the darkness of night in the same manner that AORUS Core Lighting illuminates the vast AORUS ecosystem."

LMAO

They forgot to mention crap bios...:p

Soldato

LMAO

:D

Associate

LMAO

Or to put it another way; Pointy Birds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU4RD2f2BnY

Soldato
People need to stop complaining about the 3700x vs 3800x

You don't know the full speecs

All we know is one is 65w, the other 105w and that there is 100mhz difference between their max SINGLE clock boost speed.
What we don't know is the clock speed of all the other 7 cores and this is probably why there is a massive TDP difference between the two chips - the 3700x's other 7 cores are probably clocked a lot lower than those on the 3800x and can't be overclocked due to the chip limitations

Last edited:
Associate

All we know is one is 65w, the other 105w and that there is 100mhz difference between their max SINGLE clock boost speed.
What we don't know is the clock speed of all the other 7 cores and this is probably why there is a massive TDP difference between the two chips - the 3700x's other 7 cores are probably clocked a lot lower than those on the 3800x and can't be overclocked due to the chip limitations

My thoughts exactly, there could be a lot more to come in the benches.

Permabanned

My guess is that the 3700X is the better dies, while the 3800X are the leakier ones.

Soldato

I reckon the cooler alone could be massively different. 3700X might have a wraith stealth/spire whilst the 3800x get's a wraith prism.

That's a $30 difference alone.

It's similar to a 2700 and 2700X difference (they only has a 150mhz boost difference whilst base clock had a larger gap). In this case the 2700 has always been the better buy as you will be overclocking anyway. 2700X was a better bin though if you cared about hitting 4.3ghz.

Permabanned
I reckon the cooler alone could be massively different. 3700X might have a wraith stealth/spire whilst the 3800x get's a wraith prism.

That's a $30 difference alone.

It's similar to a 2700 and 2700X difference (they only has a 150mhz boost difference whilst base clock had a larger gap). In this case the 2700 has always been the better buy as you will be overclocking anyway. 2700X was a better bin though if you cared about hitting 4.3ghz.

Nope, except Ryzen 5, all the other 3 models get the Prism with RGB LED. https://www.amd.com/en/products/specifications/processors/11781,11756,11761,11766,11771

This is one hell expensive cooler by AMD costing alone 30 pounds. You can get better tower coolers from Alpenfohn, Cooler Master, beQuiet, Arctic Cooling and Raijintek for less money. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search/index/sSearch/AM4+cooler/sSort/3/sPerPage/12/sPage/7

Associate
I also want to reserve any speculation on each cpu's performance until reviews are out but(this is a big one) I'm still disappointed by the pricing. I think all of them should've been at least 20-50$ less, especially 3800/3900x.

Associate
I'm underwhelmed because that's how I feel. I was hoping and expecting 16 core parts at a reasonable price, instead it feels like AMD are intentionally holding back the top SKU's for no particular reason. All the anti Intel vitriol about holding back cpu progress and AMD appear to be doing the exact same thing by drip feeding chips..

50% increase in what though? Benchmarking?
I want gaming performance from these gaming chips, there's no chance they are 50% stronger there.
Basically it seems that AMD have the performance there and can undercut Intel by a huge margin, but have **** the bed. The 12 core should be priced as the 2700x was on launch, because Intel can trade on name sake, AMD can't.

The 12c Zen 2 is $500 v $1,200 for Intel’s cheapest 12c yet you still complain about pricing and go on about gaming! Clueless.

Back
Top Bottom