• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel i9-9900KS : 5GHz All-core announced...

Associate
Meh it all speculation and all we can discuss at this time. Might as well utilise the figures to make some assumptions for now. Otherwise might as well say if need a new CPU before November then ignore the 9900KS anyways.

I don't see any point in that KS anyhow. Just better binned K that's running on limit. I highly doubt there will be anymore performance boost than it already is on K.

Soldato
I don't see any point in that KS anyhow. Just better binned K that's running on limit. I highly doubt there will be anymore performance boost than it already is on K.

Oh I don't think it will give anything either but some people seem to think it is the killer that makes all the new AMD cpu's pointless missing the price to performance, known performance we have of the 9900k now bearing that the KS is just a better bind silicone.

So all I wanted to suggest when someone stated that £100 isn't much is that it is a huge chunk when you compare the possible performance margins as well as the fact that pricing for the KS is unknown and the Ryzen series may well have reduced in cost by that release also.

Overall just seeing that the data so far would suggest the best buy we have as gamers would really be 3700X based on performance to value.

Associate
Then what's the point because they will be launching the 10 core at the same time?

Intel can spread their "crown" for both gaming and multi-tasking over 2 processors, as the 10 core will need to be clocked significantly lower but should still edge out AMDs 12 core offering.

Soldato
I really do hope this gives Intel the boot up the rear end they deserve. Complacency, slowing R&D to better milk the market, keeping prices at an all time high - they deserve everything they get. Just wish AMD were in a position where they could hand out a beat down to Nvidia too.

Soldato
Core is a great micro architecture but they way they are pushing it forward now really does remind me of the late days of prescott! 9900k is a great chip though its just toasty... AMD are putting intel into a very uncomfortable position and need to be applauded for that.

Associate
Intel can spread their "crown" for both gaming and multi-tasking over 2 processors, as the 10 core will need to be clocked significantly lower but should still edge out AMDs 12 core offering.
And AMD pulls out the 16 core variant.... If they really needed the gaming crown they could just move some of the better chiplets on to AM4. At a latter date that should be able to clock higher on a limited run.

Soldato
I had an FX 9590, trust me a 250 Watt CPU in the summer is hell, you don't want a ####'ing heater in the room during the summer.
I've fired up my old socket 478 3.2GHz Prescott over the nice Bank Holiday we had recently planning for an extensive case mod. It wasn't being stressed for very long but blimey did the room get unbearable.

Caporegime
I've fired up my old socket 478 3.2GHz Prescott over the nice Bank Holiday we had recently planning for an extensive case mod. It wasn't being stressed for very long but blimey did the room get unbearable.

Was that the Pentium 4 HT? i think i had one, can't remember the architecture name of it but it was a Pentium 4 HT 3.2Ghz, an absolute pig of a CPU, i switched it out for my first AMD CPU, a socket 939 AthlonXP 3800+, fantastic CPU that was.

Soldato
Was that the Pentium 4 HT? i think i had one, can't remember the architecture name of it but it was a Pentium 4 HT 3.2Ghz, an absolute pig of a CPU, i switched it out for my first AMD CPU, a socket 939 AthlonXP 3800+, fantastic CPU that was.
The Pentium 4 HT was based on Northwood. The Prescott was a "major reworking" with double the cache, new instructions and the first to use 90nm, but it was an utter pig. Didn't clock higher than Northwood and ran a lot hotter to boot. Objectively I was caught in the mind share trap back then and didn't really know much about AMD, plus never had the money to switch it out. But she served me well for a long time, especially paired with the 6800 Ultra I bought for £400 purely for Doom 3 :p

Imagine my surprise when I eventually upgraded to an i5 2500 :eek:

Caporegime
The Pentium 4 HT was based on Northwood. The Prescott was a "major reworking" with double the cache, new instructions and the first to use 90nm, but it was an utter pig. Didn't clock higher than Northwood and ran a lot hotter to boot. Objectively I was caught in the mind share trap back then and didn't really know much about AMD, plus never had the money to switch it out. But she served me well for a long time, especially paired with the 6800 Ultra I bought for £400 purely for Doom 3 :p

Ah yeah i remember now, mine was the older Northwood.

Its the time i became Hardware Woke, upto that point knew little to nothing about it, Intel was the Brand that was everywhere, knew there was an alternative but little more than "who are these AMD guys???"

With the heat output, the sluggishness of it and it just not feeling 'Right' compared with the Pentium 3 i was happy with... is when i researched what was going on, that's when i found all the AMD vs Intel arguments and to be frank with the Pentium 4 being the way that it was i thought i would give those other guys a go.

Didn't look back having various Athlons... until i had an i7 930, also had a 1090T and yes that horrendous FX-9590, yet at least that felt snappy and 'Stable', eventually ending up with a 4690K and now this fantastic 1600, its feeling a bit like the AthlonXP days again.

Man of Honour

I had the 3GHz Pentium 4 with HT on a DFI 865pe board IIRC was a great setup until the core 2 duo came out - also had one of those weird gainward GPUs which was a 6800 ultra extreme on AGP with 512MB VRAM - it would hit like 109C (the GPU) under max load overclocked but never missed a beat.

Back
Top Bottom