Chernobyl miniseries - coming to Sky and HBO in May 2019

Caporegime
Was listening to the podcast for episode 1 this morning and he explained that he started off with the explosion and suicide as people know it happens so otherwise are just sat waiting for it to happen. He said he didn't see the point in setting the scene out to build up to something we all know about. Just get it out in the open and move on.

That’s basically a decision in production.

Take any real life events like Titanic or Apollo 13, we all know what happens but they are set up for the viewer to connect with. A window to the story.

I’m just missing that connection and watching it on the outside.

Soldato
I found it amusing the other day when I was talking about the series and somebody asked me not to spoil it heh

I knew what they meant but still had to laugh

Soldato
I wish I started with the podcasts at the start. I listened to part 4 this morning so now going through the 3 other parts.

So obsessed with this show and it feels really bad to be

Caporegime
I would say that this show was very little about connection to the characters other than the scientists trying to get to the truth in the face of abject denial and incompetence from those in power and our innate sympathy for the innocents affected by it.

What the show intended was to give us a fly on the wall view, as factually as possible, of what happens when a nuclear power station goes critical and explodes. It's chilling, it's gruesome, it's downright bleak... and I don't think there was any real intention to make you 'like' or 'connect' with any of the lead characters as opposed to get a sense of the scale of what happened from as many angles as possible.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I also read that a fair few of them went back up five or six times and likely did get cancer...
No chance. In that 90 seconds they received a LIFETIME dose of radiation.

You can’t go home and recover for a few days then try again. Once you’ve had your dose, that’s it.

If people did manage to go up multiple times then they’re stupid and most likely dead.

Caporegime
I'm just thinking it's because you're looking for something that isn't going to be there in the first place. Maybe you're not supposed to feel a connection to the characters, because it's not about that, same as the music isn't the usual emotional classical score we're used to in TV shows, but a jarring, bleak, grim, unsettling compilation of just sounds taken from an actual nuclear power plant.

It is all that but it does not hit home because i do not care for the characters and as a result I felt no connection, ergo….didn't care for any one of them.

Man of Honour
@ttaskmaster thanks for all that. Yup that’s one way of looking at it - it IS a very different show than the other popular ones with animated / complicated characters. To many, I guess this show is a timely relief.

Soldato
The one bad casting choice imo was the guy in charge of the power plant, the short guy with the blue suit denying everything who was then taken away later along with his henchman... he was not a convincing actor at all.

If you work in manufacturing this is what most managers are like when something goes wrong. Deny, blame someone else, run (or in this case don't run - but get someone else to look at an open reactor several times).

Testimony is that this is what happened here.

To be fair even though he and everyone else was incompetent all the way from the party committee to the worker.

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Can someone explain how the radiation can effect electrical equipment. The batteries in the torches for example?

Soldato
Binge watched the first four episodes tonight, amazing series, well written, well acted, the pacing/tension/drama is excellent.

My only complaint is that it didn't need to be so heavily fictionalised, they could have told just as good a story while sticking just to what really happened (due to the added realism).

Caporegime
Binge watched the first four episodes tonight, amazing series, well written, well acted, the pacing/tension/drama is excellent.

My only complaint is that it didn't need to be so heavily fictionalised, they could have told just as good a story while sticking just to what really happened (due to the added realism).
what parts are fictionalized?

Soldato
Watched the first 4 episodes, don't see what the fuss is about.

The way some of you have been over reacting about the animal control scene, I expected a lot worse but it was actually very tame, not upsetting at all.

I also didn't find the roof scene that intense.

Soldato
Can someone explain how the radiation can effect electrical equipment. The batteries in the torches for example?

The radiation particles are packets of energy anything modern that has a micro chip, or electronic circuit board will get fried. Hence the quote anything other than a light bulb will be useless.

Soldato
Watched the first 4 episodes, don't see what the fuss is about.

The way some of you have been over reacting about the animal control scene, I expected a lot worse but it was actually very tame, not upsetting at all.

I also didn't find the roof scene that intense.

That how serial killers start off apparently - lack of compassion for animals.

Joking btw. Just incase you decide to kill me and eat me.

I think with this series if you were around at the time and remember it I suspect it has more resonance.

Soldato
Again, sources vary as to how long they spent up there, many citing 40-60 secondsm, rather than 90. I also get the impression that they didn't go home at all, but went straight back up.
Good to know they were stupid, though. Given that they thought the reactor might explode a second time, I'm glad these morons went back up. And yes, some sources record people taking over 100 times their maximum safe dosage. And yes, many of these utter retards are dead, as are many other liquidators

About as retarded as your post

Back
Top Bottom