1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chernobyl miniseries - coming to Sky and HBO in May 2019

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Participant, Apr 3, 2019.

1. McGray

Mobster

Anyone else have trouble sleeping after watching this?

2. rhysduck

Soldato

Nope. Been a brilliant series so far but hardly something to interrupt sleep.

3. IvanDobskey

Soldato

One of the best series around at the moment.

4. EVH

Don

He knew that if the reactor was open he’d be dead (if he looked directly down in to it).

Like you say, he also knew that he’d be shot for not following orders... so he probably went there knowing that either way he was a goner.

I’m rewatching from episode 1 and I’ve already studied it and seen countless documentaries... it’s that good. The podcast posted above is excellent too, as it perfectly compliments the show and gives you some behind the scenes info that puts you in the mind of the director/writer.

5. Screeeech

Mobster

I've been watching this intently, I've watched most of the other documentaries and stuff about Chernobyl, but I think HBO's is the best yet.

They've done a spectacular job of capturing the bleakness of the whole thing. Probably one of the best series I've seen for a long long time.

6. Stephanie Peterson

Hitman

Yeah i think if i were that chap in the beginning looking into the reactor i would just stay there until i fried and passed oot which would have been a much better way to go that having a quick peek at **** loads of radiation then having a think about how bad an idea it was over the next week or two while dissolving away.

7. akaFonzie

Gangster

I only said not entirely accurate, and also that it doesn't detract from the overall experience. I think if it were incredibly accurate it may make it less interesting..

E.g. the helicopter crashing part wasn't actually during the boron/sand dropping exercise but during the creation of the concrete sarcophagus, and that it was due to hitting a cable from a crane or something, but it's inferred that it is entirely due to flying directly over the core. Similarly the numbers relating to the explosion if the core melted through to the water tanks were, apparently, greatly exaggerated. Both things not historically accurate but increase the impact of the show, IMO.

8. Gee

Mobster

9. Stephanie Peterson

Hitman

Yeah did they not say it was in the megatons ... Thats wildly massively out of proportion to what it would have been, ok it would have been a bang but nowt goes off with a megaton of bang other than earthquakes, impacts and big nukes (my gut after a heavy session might)

10. Colonel_Klinck

Hitman

Another great episode. TBH I think I'd rather have done 90s on the roof than shoot all those pets. I used to shoot rabbits, pigeons ect for farmers when I was young but no way could I kill those dogs and cats.

11. akaFonzie

Gangster

Whilst this is just someone on the old readit, they did more math than i'm capable of and their flair says "Nuclear Engineer" so definitely 100% reliable...

12. Feek

Commissario

In those ninety seconds, they received a lifetimes worth of radiation and then were shipped completely away from the area, that was their involvement with it done.

13. Malevolence

Capodecina

I'm not a 10 year old girl, so no.

14. Jimbeam3678

Capodecina

Brutal!

15. wolfie138

Mobster

16. metal6501

Associate

ive got the geiger sound as ringtone scary

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  17. ninezerofive

Gangster

I don't play these games anymore, where I wait for a week to watch new episode. And then a year for new season. I might watch it once it's all out.

18. Participant

Caporegime

Yep. I drank 3 pints of milk at 10pm.

19. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Been enjoying this. Harrowing viewing and no doubt well documents matters well (as far as I’m aware).

That said, I do think the acclaim is slightly OTT. The subject matter is naturally extremely interesting and, far, far more interesting than the drama / acting is good, IMHO. But then again, the drama and acting is always going to be eclipsed by the subject matter.

The lead guy with glasses is a bit meh/annoying... just no real character development and he’s all round pretty flat. Not what the show was going for I guess but I’m surprised there is little emotion / personal drama from the lead actors.

The accents were really jarring at first, got used to it.

Also it reminds me of that old Hillsborough docu-drama with Ricky Tomlinson, if anyone remembers that. Just that sort of... sad and harrowing watch. You’ll probably like that if you liked this.

20. RockLobster

Wise Guy

30:45 explains the scene they cut. Wow glad they didn't include that.