Why is CS:GO a thing?

Soldato
I agree on the globally mixed player selection CSGO operates under, Im not a fan of that. Its made it popular but also its devolved into a mess because of no admin and no way to control the population. We've sunk to base stupidity instead of promoting the best use of the game.

I think Valve will attempt to fix that though I wish they'd allow some human admin element also. They are using a bank of machines to examine every demo of every game played, 1.6 million banned players is resulting from that and the f2p meta

Meanwhile CSGO the actual game plays fine, come play a ten man game with us. I really would prefer to skip matchmaking and do this, we got everyone from a player who is 3 months new to CS upto a new global player. All of them are capable of playing for fun.
I wont spam the link, I gave discord link earlier in the thread and I listed an open invite on the homepage link in my profile also. Discord runs in a browser and anyone can use in game voip if you really prefer, mostly just for getting 10 players ready for a game

LSsU0Qk.png
I added a waiting room to make it more obvious/simpler when people wanting to join. You can mute everyone on the server otherwise if wanted, really just want people to know and find a place to have a friendly game

i may not recognise your name, just say Im ocuk or Im here for 5 v 5 CS and they give you rank/tag for 5 v 5

Last edited:

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
CS was massive in the days of enemydown and clanbase in the 1.5 era.
I only started at 1.6 but just the thought of places like enemydown and theSgl and CSGN and clanbase and using mIRC in #5on5, playing on UK2 pub servers, brings back sooooooo many memories. I literally spent my whole 2nd year at uni playing cs about 10-12 hours a day, practicing till 6am every night, even went to a LAN event in Swindon. Had my own server etc. Ahhhh

Soldato
Counter Strike is high skill, non pay2win and balanced very well. It's not the most skilfull FPS as some would have you believe though, that's Quake. The second you bring variables outside of your control into the game (teammates) the skill ceiling becomes less relevant. Counter Strike is the best of the modern fps definitely but it doesn't come close to Quake duels for raw skill and map control.

V F

V F

Soldato
Counter Strike is high skill, non pay2win and balanced very well. It's not the most skilfull FPS as some would have you believe though, that's Quake. The second you bring variables outside of your control into the game (teammates) the skill ceiling becomes less relevant. Counter Strike is the best of the modern fps definitely but it doesn't come close to Quake duels for raw skill and map control.

It's just a real shame Quake Champions is in a real mess right now. Hoping the March patch on the 14th revitalises things.

Soldato
"I played this once and therefore I do not understand why it is good", "I have made a thread to say that I played this once and do not like it" ???

Soldato
Guys... I loaded up rocket league the other day for the first time.....

Is this IT ??? I drove the car into the ball and it bounced, SO WHAT ??? This is all this has to offer ??? Why is this a "thing" ???

Why do people play this??? Drive a car into a ball and it bounces??? There are professionals that do this ??? Why is it a thing ???

Man of Honour
I think it is because it fills a niche of competitive team FPS and ticks a number of boxes:
-Modern enough to appeal to younger gamers
-Successor to previous CS games so carries a reputation and level of interest
-Landed around the right time to ride the wave of eSports becoming more accepted and mainstream - seemingly it has embraced this and put a lot of infrastructure around it. A guy from my last Quakeworld clan is now a professional caster/analyst travelling the world to commentate on CS:GO.

Soldato
It's just a real shame Quake Champions is in a real mess right now. Hoping the March patch on the 14th revitalises things.
Yeah from what I've heard it is Quake in name only. I haven't played it though so shall not judge, but people want Overwatch not Quake when it comes to modern twitch shooters so it's no surprise it has allegedly tried to emulate Overwatch.

Man of Honour
Old thread but still relevant, I'd counter your question with with wouldn't CS:GO be a thing? I don't play it but competitive FPS typically get better with age as more and more optimised tactics are developed. To me the pattern of constantly moving on to the 'next big thing' is a bit of a travesty; when people stick with a game a long time there is a evolving knowledge cycle that elevates play to extreme levels, which gets partially lost when people ditch it for newer games.

Soldato
I think it also helps that you don’t need a 3080 to run it! It could probably run well on a scientific calculator so it opens it up to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom