PPI Claiming

Soldato
I've had 2 cheques from Egg recently £474 and £398 for loan and credit card ppi. Also got one from Northern Rock coming soon for about £1200.

I was well aware of PPI at the time and actively refused it if I was asked but these Egg and Northern Rock accounts must have all had PPI added secretly hence me successfully winning my cases.

I did use a ppi company though so I've lost about 20% but they do reward me with £20 amazon vouchers every time I recommend people and so far had £120 in amazon vouchers so don't feel too hard done by.

Does the company name have 'fair' in it by any chance? Sounds scarily familiar to the scheme the company I work for runs :p

Soldato
Certainly does haha

I've got a stack of those blooming vouchers ans have no idea what to do with them, wish I'd picked the amazon ones now :p

To be fair, we do always tell people you can look into it yourself but I've spoken to so many people lately that have, found nothing, came to us and PPI was found. Just shows the importance of 'checking' properly, usually a phone call will end up in a fobbing off so if you do pursue anything yourself, make sure you send a SAR.

Soldato
I have so much in my amazon basket and just waiting for the next £80 of vouchers to drop in.

I know I could have done it all myself but just couldn't be bothered. I've still got more money than I had a month ago and was never going to do PPI before my sister said to use these guys.

Soldato
Going through a CMC just means you are throwing money away, you can do a PPI claim with letter/email or through the website of whatever company you where with. You get exactly the same timescales, even the letters are pretty much identical.
They will even pass your details onto whatever Credit Card company you where with and check for Credit Card PPI.

Last edited:
Soldato
As the deadline is close, I'd better get my skates on if I'm to claim PPI. But I'm not confident that I have anything to claim.

I took out a mortgage with Halifax in 1987, and made final payment in 2017. It started as an endowment policy with Legal and General in connection with Halifax. I can't remember what year, but in the early 2000s I ditched the endowment policy and switched to a straight repayment mortgage. Got paid a few thousand back which paid a chunk of my mortgage and I was able to then reduce my monthly repayments.

And in 2012, when it was due to finish, I extended the mortgage for another 5 years by adding £15K to it for home improvements.

From what I read, PPI was never sold in endowment policies. And regarding PPI in general, apparently...

"It was introduced early 80s but didnt become mainstream until late 80s and the banks didnt really start misselling it until early 90s."

Also I never had any loans, only my mortgage. So is it unlikely I'd have been mis sold PPI? Could the Halifax have added PPI even during my Endowment period, or could they have added it when I extended the mortgage?

Associate
Do you still have to prove that you were miss sold PPI I was under the impression maybe wrongly that it didn't matter if you were or weren't it was more that PPI was a bad thing that didn't really pay out to the level they charged or something.

Associate
Death Star or Mount Doom, it depends on the day.
Soldato
Do you still have to prove that you were miss sold PPI I was under the impression maybe wrongly that it didn't matter if you were or weren't it was more that PPI was a bad thing that didn't really pay out to the level they charged or something.

Nope, there's nothing wrong with having PPI. It was very useful for some people. The problem is that it was also sold to some people who wouldn't have been able to make use of it fully.

Man of Honour
Every now and again, I think I should look into this. I was in financial trouble 10-20 years ago and had a bunch of loans from a bunch of lenders. I have no idea if any (or all) of them added PPI (customers weren't always told it was being added, which is one of the issue). I can't even remember all of the lenders. I might have paid nothing for PPI. I might have paid thousands over the years.

Nope, there's nothing wrong with having PPI. It was very useful for some people. The problem is that it was also sold to some people who wouldn't have been able to make use of it fully.

That was one of the problems, but there were others. It was sometimes "sold" to people who didn't want it and didn't agree to it. It was usually barely PPI at all because usually only a minority of the money the customer paid for it actually went into the PPI product. Most of the time, about 1/3rd of what the customer paid for PPI was actually PPI and about 2/3rds was commission for the provider. That's the reason why it was pushed so hard and obfuscated so much. With sales staff judged on how many PPI sales they made, it's not surprising it was often added without the customer's consent.

Soldato
If you can remember the lenders there is a list of who you need to contact:-

https://www.fca.org.uk/ppi/how-to-complain/search-for-provider

All I could remember was the lender and my addresses over the years. I rang each of the lenders as per the list above and asked them to see if any I had any products that may have had PPI on them. They give you a reference and after a several weeks they send you a letter to say they've managed to find any products or not. I didn't have "any" detailed information such as account numbers etc.

In the end I got about £7K back for a few hours of my time.

Cheers

Sgarrista
Commissario
Is there a site where I can just enter the generic information and then it sends the relevant "lol check for my ppi pls" to every known bank, card loan company etc in existence?

Soldato
Is there a site where I can just enter the generic information and then it sends the relevant "lol check for my ppi pls" to every known bank, card loan company etc in existence?

There are places you can find template letters to send off to banks but there's nowhere that'll check EVERY lender known to man. You'll have to know who you're sending requests to.

Back
Top Bottom